August 21, 2014, 02:45:23 AM

Author Topic: Which to get: 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2?  (Read 9054 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Which to get: 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »

My commendations on what is a one-in-a-million forum response.

I've rarely ever seen anyone take the time to provide such a thoughtful and informative response -- complete with linked references. If I could, I'd buy you a drink!

Keep up the great work!

Oh, and for the OP, I'd recommend the 40mm pancake vs the 50mm. On the crop, the 50mm is effectively 80mm and you're really in portrait territory there. The 40mm is effectively 64 and that's closer to traditional "normal." I have both and always prefer the 40. I have no experience with the 35mm. More generally, I'd suggest thinking about what kind of pictures you want to make. Use your kit lens frequently to frame 35, 40 and 50mm shots to see what you'll be looking at with a prime.

I wouldn't mess with the 35/2 but there are folks here that like it.  Personally I find it's too expensive for what it offers.  You'll find a lot of threads here from folks asking about alternatives like the 30mm sigma.  There are a lot of other EF-mount 35mm lenses around as well.  Ever since APS-C cameras showed up folks have been looking at that 35 f/2 & wondering if/when Canon will deliver a proper modern "standard" focal length lens for APS-C.  The closest they've come so far is probably the new 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake.

I'd say your choice should be between the 50 f/1.8 and the 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake.  If you shoot a lot of video then the STM may be worth the extra hundred bucks for you vs. the 50 (though I don't know if the 60D can take advantage of the STM).  It's certainly better built & the AF is better, plus it's smaller.  Apparently it's amazingly sharp.

But don't knock the little 50.  It's extremely light, decently sharp when stopped down a bit, and cheap as chips.

Another extremely fine lens that won't break the bank is the 85mm f/1.8 USM.  The AF speed is in the same ballpark as my 135L and the IQ is pretty close to L territory from f/2.8 and on.  Think of it as a "baby L" & you get the picture.  Basically every Canon telephoto prime from 85mm on up pretty much rocks, which is why a lot of us are here in the first place :-).

If you've got the cash, I'd say get the 40 (wider, sharper) or 50 (cheaper, more luminous) AND the 85.  Maybe take one now & save up for the other.

Good luck :-).
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »

SteveCSmith

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
I have the 50mm f/1.8.  It is a great lens - especially when you look at photo color and clarity vs a "kit lens" (hopefully the 18-135 STM is better than my old 18-55).  Anyway, I have certainly found myself backing into walls when doing portraits indoors on my 60D.  I'd look seriously at the new 40mm (can we call it the "shorty forty" to complement the "nifty fifty"?).  I'm looking forward to trying it on FF when my 5D3 comes tomorrow... might fall in love with it all over again.

I came upon a used 50mm f/1.4 as part of a package.  I didn't find much difference in photo quality and sold it (huge difference in feel/build quality, though).  I can drop and break a few 1.8's for that price.  I think the 28mm 1.8 would be worth considering, also.  I'd personally pass over anything not USM anymore - once you get one you'll know why (noisy autofocus really does become obnoxious).

Of course, I'm an amateur in the gear acquisition phase of the hobby... hopefully I'll grow in my photography skills soon to match my toybox.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »
Hi all.

Ive got a 60D with the new STM 18-135 lens.

Im looking for a prime lens. I cant spend a ton of money at this point as id still consider myself an amateur but I want to have something in this range to work with. I would consider upgrading later on if I find that I've outgrown my equipment. Im not looking for an expensive lens for right now.

Thoughts on which lens is better for me?

thanks team!

You need to figure out your sweet spots . . . how many photos do you have with the STM?  The best thing to do is figure out where most  of your shots have been in the range of the zoom you have and choose those.  If you're always shooting at one end or the other, you may need something you don't already have for range.
+1.  The question is asking about focal length, and only he knows which focal length he likes best.

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »
I really enjoy using my 40STM on FF. I sold my 50/1.8II because of it. The build quality ... focusing ... sharpness ... bokeh ... size ... price ... simply amazing. 40mm focal length and f2.8 aperture may be not so impressive on a crop camera, but you can look for something equivalent (~25/1.8 ), like Sigma 30/1.4 or Canon 28/1.8USM.
FF + primes !

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »
My commendations on what is a one-in-a-million forum response.

Thanks ;-).  Plenty of other good posts here too; specifically the suggestion to have a look at your back catalog of photos shot with the zoom & see what kind of focal lengths one tends to use.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »