July 28, 2014, 08:11:44 PM

Poll

What is your total income percentage that you make out of photography?

I don't make money out of photography
86 (50.9%)
Less than 25%
48 (28.4%)
Between 25-50%
7 (4.1%)
More than 50%
5 (3%)
All my income came out of photography
23 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: October 19, 2012, 05:55:35 AM

Author Topic: How many of us are making money out of photography ?  (Read 14429 times)

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: How many of us are making money out of photography ?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »

Another quote from a photographer this time, when asked why he chose his career as a very busy pro shooter...
"...it sure beats the hell out of having to work for a living!"

-PW

What he says is very true...In my case  photography is one thing that i make with joy... and  as a + i make a living out of it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 03:11:31 AM »
I make my living as a visual designer and Photoshop pro. I often work with photographs, although rarely my own.

I think it would be fantastic to be a pro photographer. But it seems like most of the money is in weddings, events, sports, and glamour shots, which might be great for people who enjoy that sort of thing. But I think I'd probably rather do the post processing for a wedding than actually shoot the damn thing.

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:37 AM »
Just finally started making income about 2 weeks ago after acquiring a portrait studio and shooting about 15 small businesses, a local rock band along with some post processing and more jobs in the queue.
I misread that at first as "acquiring a portrait studio and about 15 small businesses" and thought nothing like jumping in ;D.

For me it's only about 1%, the only photography work I bill for are for a few regular clients that know I'm into photography and get me to snap some of the projects I'm working on for them for web pages and promotional stuff so just bill at my usual rate.

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 03:28:45 AM »
I make my living as a visual designer and Photoshop pro. I often work with photographs, although rarely my own.

I think it would be fantastic to be a pro photographer. But it seems like most of the money is in weddings, events, sports, and glamour shots, which might be great for people who enjoy that sort of thing. But I think I'd probably rather do the post processing for a wedding than actually shoot the damn thing.

And stock ...

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »

And stock ...

Dream job!!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:18 AM »
I'm a cameraman and video editor.  I have a full time job with Europes biggest newspaper & publishing company, doing UK National tv adverts (mainly after-effect based, with some shooting) internal corporate video, TV award videos, web video and external client work, and I freelance out of hours when a job I like comes along.

I shoot on different cameras for different jobs, but often shoot on DSLRs.  I've made about £1k from stills photography without trying at all, but I earn my living using (in large part) my DSLRs.

So not making money out of photography per se, but making a living with my EOS gear.

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 04:55:46 AM »
I had to get a better job to support my lens habit.

$15,000 in the hole and counting ... yet to make a sale ... (yet to try making a sale, check back next year)

I feel much better.  I'm "only" $9k into it and don't make a whole lot of of photography to justify spending that much.  I work with musicians who sometimes want a decent looking youtube video or some pictures taken.  I shoot weddings (photo and video) as a 2nd shooter so I don't make as much there either.    oh gear....
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 04:55:46 AM »

RayValdez360

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 05:08:58 AM »
I have been doing good with it. I am a year in. I spent a few Gs on equipment.

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »
 :)  I don't make money from photography. But photography makes money from me  :)

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »
Just started getting serious with photographer last year and I'm already $10k+ in the hole with no income from photography.  Though the photographer at my wedding offered to train me how to do wedding photography and be his second shooter for the busy wedding season coming up.
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

jVillaPhoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • JVillaPhoto
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 05:39:25 AM »
Currently 21 years old and barely started to try to throw my name out there by any means. Spent over 10k on equiptment thus far (student loans). Shot a couple TV actors, one wedding, and a few musicians which has brought me SOME money. Living off student loans at the moment, so any money earned off shooting is like a luxury.

Yes, I go to photo school too. If I mess up really bad, I'm screwed :o ! But still giving 110%; handing out flyers tomorrow and have some Model Mayhem models lined up to get some decent portfolio work. After portfolio is solid, internship hunting! :)

In other words.... Ten-ish years to go!  :P

Any pros out there, Advice would be wonderful, but the good kind.. No, "just give up and study accounting", because I'm not the quitting type  ;)
5D Mark III, 60D,
50L, 70-200 f/2.8L II (35L coming soon!)
www.jvillaphoto.com

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »

And I'd rather just keep shooting, hell, most of my photos i've taken i've just done a batch-raw process and not even looked at. For me, PP is the annoying bit. We'd make a good team...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

MarioMachado

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 06:17:27 AM »
I work in a cruise ship as a Photographer, so basically I make money out of photography, they do provide cameras (S___ nikon d300s) and I spent over 8K with Canon and I live a life with no regrets :)
Canon the only way! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 06:17:27 AM »

Cannon Man

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 06:42:48 AM »
Currently 21 years old and barely started to try to throw my name out there by any means. Spent over 10k on equiptment thus far (student loans). Shot a couple TV actors, one wedding, and a few musicians which has brought me SOME money. Living off student loans at the moment, so any money earned off shooting is like a luxury.

Yes, I go to photo school too. If I mess up really bad, I'm screwed :o ! But still giving 110%; handing out flyers tomorrow and have some Model Mayhem models lined up to get some decent portfolio work. After portfolio is solid, internship hunting! :)

In other words.... Ten-ish years to go!  :P

Any pros out there, Advice would be wonderful, but the good kind.. No, "just give up and study accounting", because I'm not the quitting type  ;)

My advice is that the moment or soon after your pictures are worth every penny and more that you ask from your future clients you have work. It won't be ten-ish years if your 1. Believe in your self, 2. Have talent, 3. Develope that talent. I started photography about 5 years ago and i have been pro for 2 years now.

I often recieve job applications from photogs and i have not been happy with any of their photos, although they have been to photography schools and i haven't. I am still a "fresh/young" photographer but i am constantly improving.

Last thing: don't quit. (Like you said) Nothing will happen unless you make it happen.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:01 AM »
:)  I don't make money from photography. But photography makes money from me  :)

The same for me. Pretty fun and accurate statement  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:01 AM »