September 01, 2014, 02:45:16 PM

Poll

What is your total income percentage that you make out of photography?

I don't make money out of photography
86 (50.9%)
Less than 25%
48 (28.4%)
Between 25-50%
7 (4.1%)
More than 50%
5 (3%)
All my income came out of photography
23 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: October 19, 2012, 05:55:35 AM

Author Topic: How many of us are making money out of photography ?  (Read 14669 times)

Nick Gombinsky

• Rebel SL1
  • Workaholic and alcoholic
    • View Profile
Re: How many of us are making money out of photography ?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 06:52:41 AM »
I'm a DP and a photographer, don't know when exactly became a pro, started studying at 15 and now I'm 24, I think by 19 it was 25% income, 21 50%, and 22 onwards 100%. I often shoot with my 7D and gear but if there is more money then I go RED.

Currently shooting a tv show in an Aspen-like city of Argentina with 2x 5DmkII, 24-70 and 70-200  ;D. Dammit its cold.
Canon 7D + grip, Canon 7N + grip
Samyang 16mm f2, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, Pentax Takumar SMC M42 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f2.5
Blackmagic 4K and lots of goodies

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 06:52:41 AM »

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 07:14:38 AM »
Im 24, a graphic designer and photographer for a small newspaper.

I have a BA hons in Graphic design and photography which also helps give people confidence before seeing my work.

I also work as a freelance photographer. Works well for me as everyone knows me through the paper and I get more freelance work  ;D

But shoot motorsport, automotive, weddings and events. Anything else is a bonus.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:19:54 AM by tomscott »
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:09 AM »
I work in a cruise ship as a Photographer, so basically I make money out of photography, they do provide cameras (S___ nikon d300s) and I spent over 8K with Canon and I live a life with no regrets :)
Canon the only way!

That's either very enjoyable or incredibly monotonous.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:20:24 AM by mws »

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 07:57:30 AM »
Canon's the only one making money here.  ;D
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
Its a hobby. Have not earned money from it but published a few photos in a magazine.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 08:07:08 AM »
I went to SVA (School of Visual Arts) and majored in illustration, have been a professional designer for over 10 years, but all I want to do is photography. I've slowly incorporated photography into my workflow that it is now a big part of my day-to-day. I also do freelance photography on the side.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

jsexton

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Raw Light Photos
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
Canon gets the money but I get the enjoyment of the travel and the memories from the pictures.  No real plan to go into it as a business at this point.
4 Canon bodies and a bunch of lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »
@JVillaPhoto
Any pros out there, Advice would be wonderful, but the good kind.. No, "just give up and study accounting", because I'm not the quitting type

Arrive Early.
Be prepared to stay late.

If you don't know, say so. 
If you don't know, not only say so, but make it your mission to find out for next time.

Use as much gear as you can.  Hire.  Borrow. 

There are some great books written 30 years ago.  Apertures and shutters are still the same.  Read.  Your manual.  Magazines.  Books.  Forums.

Don't believe everything you read.

Research.  Location?  Get on Google Earth.  Google Streetview.  Use The Photographers Ephemeris.  Where will the sun be?  When?  How high in the sky?  Get on flickr.  See how other folk have tackled it, work out how you are going to tackle it.

Plan plan plan.  Don't carry every bit of kit you own.  Know what you'll need.  No more, no less.  Except for batteries and memory.  How much will you need?  Take double.

Be nice.

Make sure every job has a benefit for you.  Sometimes this is only money.  Sometimes it will be a notable face that will enhance your portfolio.  Sometimes it will be a tricky situation or technical set up.  Sometimes it will be all three.

Charge a rate.  ALWAYS charge a rate.  ALWAYS charge a rate.  Be it mates rates for mates.  Be it charity rates for charities.  Be it the union rate.  Always charge for your time, that way it's worth something to your client.  People don't properly attribute value or worth to folk doing freebies.  As soon as you are charging then folk will take your calls, will be there when they say they will, will go in with a plan.

This last point is the last single most important lesson somebody new to creative work can learn.  Your time is worth something.  Make the material good and they'll come back.  You want repeat work.  Do it free or cheap the first time and you've set your rate for the relationship.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
I have no idea how many thousands I have sold and bought in Canon-gear, but I'm very sure I haven't made any of it back. Done a couple of concert shoots for some magazines and two weddings for a friend and my brother (and never ever again) and that's about it. For me it's about the hobby aspect, as soons as deadlines and clients come into it it takes away the fun for me. I need to have a hobby to relaz with. And mostly it's for my kids, they can pretty much go through every day of their lives and have pictures by the hour ;D

I have always worked in stores where I sell photo-gear so I think gear is just as much fun (when they work!!) as pictures and memories, well, almost.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
I recently had my first paid job a few months ago for a company. The photographer they used basically said no more and my friends wife is head of marketing... So he told her about me and in a nutshell I got the job last minute.

Had to shoot a few images for a trade magazine (cover and images inside). I was paid around $700 for 9 images.

They must of liked the images, thankfully, because I was invited to shoot their Holiday Party in December for even more money.

So I have a little something going with this company which is nice... Hopefully it continues with a few events each year! I also have a lead with another company that may turn into something, but the chances are a bit more slim with that.

But I never really expected to make money from my hobby... I don't require it, but it is nice to say the least. Especially when it is stuff I am comfortable with (basically anything but formal portraits).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:52:13 AM by Invertalon »

DCM1024

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
This has been the first year that photography has generated a significant part of my income. No plans to give up my day job, but have considered backing off from a 40 hour week to 30. Will wait and see if the volume of photo jobs (weddings, portrait, boudoir) hold up as I have recently increased rates.

This year I purchased a 7d, 5d2, lenses and a pimped out gaming laptop for editing, etc. Photography paid for all of that with money to spare. I wouldn't have made it this far without my boyfriend pushing me. He was the one who insisted I shoot more people, made arrangements for me to shoot fashion for a local modeling agency and dragged me to weddings (I seriously kicked and screamed, but now I'm having fun).

The downside? I don't get to shoot for fun as much as I'd like and I could live without editing. Between a 40 hour work week, weddings virtually every weekend and editing I probably put in 60-70 hours per week.

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
100% income from this last 8 years.  It's never been enough to justify much gear and so has actually been done on the back of the rebel line the whole time, minus 6 months or so with a 5D II. 

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
100% for the last 7 years give or take... and then around 30-50% before then...  Between photography expenses, kids, daycare, mortgages, gas, utilities, car notes, crappy economy, etc... not much going into savings accounts, but we are doing ok...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
A few reasons I don't do it full time is that in the U.S., most photography jobs are your own business.  At least the ones that make money.  So then I lose health care and 401k.  I'm too scared to lose those I suppose.  I can't get the math to work out to make as much money or more, factoring this in, with just doing photography vs. a full-time job with benefits and 401k, and doing photography as a second job.  I'm sure it's done, I just don't know how and perhaps I don't have the "guts" to do it. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

lipe

• Power Shot G16
  • 1DX a legend camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
love this hobby
i mean i want to find job too but haven't really tried to find it hard enough.

I still enjoy it very much

I am not sure if I take it as a job, will it be fun like going out to take something I like...
5D Classic
5D III+200 F/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »