October 25, 2014, 07:39:13 PM

Author Topic: 7DII feature requests...  (Read 6853 times)

Getunt

Re: 7DII feature requests...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
My wishlist?

- New Sensor, with less Noise  :)
- Same FPS
- Dual Digic 5/+
- 30 AF Cross Points
-  Dual SD + CF
- Weather seald
- 2000 €  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »
Listen up Canon DSLR R&D team! How about genuine 500th sync for the 7DII? I'll personally visit Japan and give each one of you a big hug.

What sync speed will it take to keep you away from us? Just kidding.

While I've been saying for a while that a 7D2 will appear and will be technically stunning, something that will even more formalize the APS-C as a foundational block of the Canon catalog, the 6D abortion is making me wonder if Canon has simply lost their way. Given where they seem to be going, maybe a new 7D2 will also order airline tickets for me.

Anyway, to answer the question, I'd want a 7D2 to be the APS-C equivalent of the 1Dx. It should have a new sensor that can match what Sony is apparently now doing with sensors. I wouldn't mind if it dropped to 16MP if needed to do this. Truth is, that's big enough for anything anyone needs to do with this camera. (How many cropped down 20 X 30 bird prints are people really going to make?) As I've said before I want ISO 100 to give me the same performance I got with film at ASA 25, maybe 50.

What I surely don't want are non-photographic geegaws -- like this GPS and wifi they soiled the 6D with. If you want those things, get the accessories that make them happen and stop asking me to pay for your features. They also don't need to make the 7D2 any great shakes in the video department. The aspiring Spielbergs who want that should be moving to FF where the options are plenty good. I accept they have painted themselves into the corner where video is now mandatory, but it can be just the basics.

I've also said in the past the price for the right 7D2 product will be in the $3K range. I'm more convinced of that seeing Canon's recent pricing practices.

Thanks for asking -- and be careful around those Japanese engineers. The one's I've known weren't much for hugging. A good bow will be plenty!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

emko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
Less noise/better image quality.

That's it!

+1 as long as its APS-C

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »
I'd love the proposed 7D mark ii to be the crop sensor equivalent to a 1Dx.

Failing that however, less noise and slightly better image quality would do. If they ditch the pop up flash, its fine by me. In fact Im sure its another weak point for weather resistance with it... so kill it! I don't care if its still 18mp if it's better in IQ.

10fps would be another nice upgrade though for the times I use high fps. Im sure twin digic 5 processors could easily achieve that. I don't see why it can't have twin digic 5's and a single digic 4 for af. However Im sure we'd pay for that! The actual af points Im not too fussed about, if it gets an upgrade then cool, if not... then so what.

And Im still content with my 7D plus I have no money to burn, so if they take their time releasing it, then I don't mind.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »
I request that the 7D2 be a camera rather than a rumor...

Simple!

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
Just looking at this and the other threads on 7DII features (there are several almost identical ones) I have an observation: 7DII owners are pretty consistent in what they want. They want what they already have, just a little bit better.

That seems in sharp contrast to many of the other threads on this site, which seem to be dominated by people unhappy with their choices. I'm also surprised at how many 7D owners seem willing to pay a lot more for the next model. People throw around figures of $2,000 to $2,500 quite freely.

All this says to me is that regardless of what people may think of other recent Canon decisions, they sure got it right with the 7D. I really expect we will get about what we want. Canon is no doubt doing all sorts of market research and finding that 7D owners are generally content with the camera and just want it updated to take advantage of technological improvements of the past three years. I don't see them doing anything radical that might upset the apple cart. No merger with the 60D...no change in sensor size...no radical redesign.

As a side note, I do get the feeling that people who have actually bought the 5DIII are similarly satisfied. With the 7D II Canon decided to split the market into two segments, those who would pay a premium for a premium body and those who wouldn't (the 60D). Now, I think they've done the same thing with the full frame market with the 5DIII and the 6D.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »
7D II/70D, whatever the top APS-C camera turns out to be, I hope it keeps a lot of the 7D in it.

I would, at the minimum, be happy to see it with a new APS-C sensor with better ISO:noise...  the rest would be a bonus...  Wifi, GPS....

AF is great on the 7D, would suit me fine, maybe better -EV focus (-3 like 6D), but I don't think that would kill it for me.

What would kill it is the price... bring it in around 2000$...  it will give people the choice...  FF with low features, or crop which is pimped!
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »

DB

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »
The point about 7D owners seem to be more satisfied with their lot, has that not got to do with how Canon researched the functionality requirements of photographers? I read somewhere that Canon sent out a survey of 5,000 questionnaires to Pro photographers (possibly through CPS or CPN or whatever they call it - I'm not in the club so don't know) and basically collated the results, hence the 7D was born of desire...

.... people are a bit too hung up on price, I'd rather pay $2,500 for a 7D2 with everything, rather than $2000 with several key features missing (like GPS + WiFi)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:08:29 PM by DB »

mucher

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
Though I am not going to change camera in a few years, there is no harm to imagine:

1) 24mp is a must. Hopefully offered identical pixel performance as the D3X
2) Android 4.x with wifi
3) metal grade plastic outfit with metal skeleton
4) no built-in flash
5) better hand-tuned color balance than 7D(the current one is way too cold in color temperature)
6) announce at 2015

For now, I do think Canon needs to announce some HP pancakes like 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 35/2.8

helpful

• EOS M2
  • Ecclesiastes 3:11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »
* Don't need 18 MP, especially since its crammed into a much denser, smaller sensor.
* Exchange a bit of resolution for two stops better performance at every ISO level (truly two stops in RAW data, not just an improved JPEG engine--although three stops better JPEGs would be even more outstanding)
* Dual cards

This from someone who has used up the full life of five 7D camera bodies, and may well need a sixth one.

I definitely agree with the person's comment earlier in this thread, which said 7D owners like what they have, and just want it a little bit better.

5DIII, 5DII, 7D x5, 6D, T2i, T3, 1D X, 10-22mm, 16-35mm II, 18-55mm II, 18-135mm IS x2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm 1/1.8 II x2, 85mm f/1.8 x2, 100mm f/2 x2, 135mm f/2L x2, 200mm f/2.8L II x2, 1.4X III, 2.0X II, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, etc. only had room to list a few Canon items

Act444

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 01:46:09 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, only one thing - better high ISO performance than 60D/T4i/M/other current 1.6x cams. Everything else is just bells/whistles.

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 02:56:50 AM »
- APS-H sensor with improved IQ
- same body size, construction
- at least same AF

the rest are details...

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »

Simple!

Amen Brother.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

Simple!

Amen Brother.
:) good to know some folks get my humor... I am not alone!
(that may not be a good thing for you though ;)... )

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
* Don't need 18 MP, especially since its crammed into a much denser, smaller sensor.
* Exchange a bit of resolution for two stops better performance at every ISO level (truly two stops in RAW data, not just an improved JPEG engine--although three stops better JPEGs would be even more outstanding)

This isn't how it works. Noise is determined by total sensor size and technology level. If Canon made a 6 MP sensor with the same technology as the 18 MP one, the overall noise level would be the same. The texture of the noise would be different (larger and softer), but the amount would be the same.

Sony figured out how to read data off the sensor with less noise and patented it. This patent is the #1 thing holding Canon back right now. Pixel density has pretty much nothing to do with it as evidenced by the fact that Sony is achieving similar pixel densities with less noise / greater DR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »