December 22, 2014, 01:48:03 PM

Author Topic: Is that really it for Canon at Photokina 2012?  (Read 2988 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Is that really it for Canon at Photokina 2012?
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
The 6D and the annual Powershot updates? Surely there must be something more, how about lenses? I would have thought that we'd at least have seen a few more lens prototypes: EOS-M; a (cheaper than the 24-105L) kit lens for the 6D; 14-24 f/2.8L?

To be fair, Nikon have been a bit quiet too (D600 aside); it seems that the 'big two' have left the field to the competition. 

canon rumors FORUM

Is that really it for Canon at Photokina 2012?
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Is that really it for Canon at Photokina 2012?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
What good are "laurels" if you can't sit back and rest on them?   8)
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

Gothmoth

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
yep... pretty disappointing.. the photokina overall.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »
Before this descends, as it always does, into madness, I'd like to point out: with the exception of literal, sales driving events in the camera world (holiday season, which now drives itself, regardless of the holiday is celebrated, due to competition) and things like the Olympics . . . releasing based on shows and not around your R&D/production abilities is not really the greatest thing.

"We" come to expect it, but Apple is a prime example of how we all really need to adjust our expectations and the companies need to do what is actually possible, to maintain their reputation.  Don't announce something because everyone else is, announce it when you can provide it.

Look at the 'o-noes' from the non-iphone5 launch in the spring of last year; everything pointed to Apple moving their iphone dev cycle to match the ipod which announces every September.  Then, they expected a whole new phone one year after the old one was released, which isn't really the pattern.

No, we shouldn't expect anything else from Photkina, Yes, we should expect something else at a different interval.

Look at the powershot series, updates and availability they seem to have down to a formula, which is great.  They need to do the same with DSLRs, and maybe we only get new models every 4 years, but if the quality is better, the equipment takes better shots, then so be it.

Do we have good cameras? Yes.  Do we have great cameras? Yes.  For some, the sky is falling, we've been told so many times, especially in the last few weeks.

There WILL BE no credible rumors until the social media attention lovers see something else shiny and stop winding everyone up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:51:21 AM by dstppy »
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

M249

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
Where is the new EX 440 RT flash? 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, the new (non L) standard zoom replacing the 28-135? I thought it would be the new kit lens for the 6D.
5D3 | 24-105 4 L | 70-300 4-5.6 L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
yep... pretty disappointing.. the photokina overall.
Yup! Am I glad I did not wait till photokina expecting a 7D2 and bought the 5D3 in April.

2n10

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
Before this descends, as it always does, into madness, I'd like to point out: with the exception of literal, sales driving events in the camera world (holiday season, which now drives itself, regardless of the holiday is celebrated, due to competition) and things like the Olympics . . . releasing based on shows and not around your R&D/production abilities is not really the greatest thing.

"We" come to expect it, but Apple is a prime example of how we all really need to adjust our expectations and the companies need to do what is actually possible, to maintain their reputation.  Don't announce something because everyone else is, announce it when you can provide it.

Look at the 'o-noes' from the non-iphone5 launch in the spring of last year; everything pointed to Apple moving their iphone dev cycle to match the ipod which announces every September.  Then, they expected a whole new phone one year after the old one was released, which isn't really the pattern.

No, we shouldn't expect anything else from Photkina, Yes, we should expect something else at a different interval.

Look at the powershot series, updates and availability they seem to have down to a formula, which is great.  They need to do the same with DSLRs, and maybe we only get new models every 4 years, but if the quality is better, the equipment takes better shots, then so be it.

Do we have good cameras? Yes.  Do we have great cameras? Yes.  For some, the sky is falling, we've been told so many times, especially in the last few weeks.

There WILL BE no credible rumors until the social media attention lovers see something else shiny and stop winding everyone up.

+1 to some ridiculously large power number.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II and EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »

marek.sykora

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
My 7D is good enough to be happy with for 3-4 years, AF is nice, ergonomics, speed, noise is acceptable...

I'd like to buy

(1) 50mm prime with accurrate and fast AF
(2) some lightweight compact L-zoom for crop body with IS for video of range 17-35

What Canon offers?

- 17-35/2.8 is too expensive
- 17-40/4L is very nice, but... have no IS... a key feature for video
- 17-55/2.8 is too heavy, AF ring is too close to EF mount, not sealed
- 15-85, 17-85,18-55 are too slow

I dream about compact ef-s 17-50/4L IS, or at least about 50/1.4 IS.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »

Apple is the prime example of how turning your company into a religion is much more effective than wearing and tearing your ass trying to defeat the competition on the field. And is the final evidence that people are stupid: all those big no-no will turn into preorders.

Canon is following the same path. Most of the products released this year are either overpriced, late or just worse than the competitors. Not only they lack the WOW! factor, but they have a lot of ME TOO! and WTF? factors. Often there is no concrete reason to choose them over the competitors other than blind brand loyalty or just convenience after you've built a collection of expensive glass.

Canon-F1

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Canon is following the same path. Most of the products released this year are either overpriced, late or just worse than the competitors. Not only they lack the WOW! factor, but they have a lot of ME TOO! and WTF? factors. Often there is no concrete reason to choose them over the competitors other than blind brand loyalty or just convenience after you've built a collection of expensive glass.

sad but true.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
I thought it would be the new kit lens for the 6D.
As long as they can sell the 24-105 f4L with 6D as a bundle, they just don't care.
Nikon released 24-85 especially for D600 and also have a range of nice newly designed F1.8 lenses for people who cannot afford the F1.4 range. For Canon shooters, you either go for the expensive L or 28/1.8 from 1995, 35/2 from 1990, 50/1.8 II from 1990 and 85/1.8 from 1992. Nothing in between.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:36:52 PM by simonxu11 »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
The global economy is in a nosedive.  Introducing new products is going to be delayed if possible.  Companies do not like to come out with new products that can only be sold at a loss.  It cost a bundle to introduce and build up inventory of a new product, and Canon already has several new ones being introduced.  I suspect they are conserving cash.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »