July 31, 2014, 10:25:37 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS with GPS tagging  (Read 8320 times)

sdsu1982

Canon EOS with GPS tagging
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
Would like to know if Canon is going to incorporate GPS tagging in the new line up of EOS bodies.  This will determine whether or not I upgrade from my 50D

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS with GPS tagging
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS with GPS tagging
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
Would like to know if Canon is going to incorporate GPS tagging in the new line up of EOS bodies.

This is a rumors site.  If you want to know something, wait for the press release from Canon.

One thing I do know is that right now, you can geotag images taken with your 50D by adding a WFT-E3A and a compatible 3rd party GPS unit.  Granted, it's not exactly a cost-effective solution...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:23:15 PM »
There was talk some time ago of a portrait grip solution which had GPS hardware built in, similar to the way that the WiFi one can. What ever happened to that?

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
Would like to know if Canon is going to incorporate GPS tagging in the new line up of EOS bodies.

This is a rumors site.  If you want to know something, wait for the press release from Canon.

One thing I do know is that right now, you can geotag images taken with your 50D by adding a WFT-E3A and a compatible 3rd party GPS unit.  Granted, it's not exactly a cost-effective solution...

There are also some solutions that clip into the camera hotshoe (not much use if you want to use you flash and geotag an image).  For example:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/07/clip-on-geotagg/

http://www.jobo.com/web/photoGPS.447.0.html

I'm not sure of availability of these.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

John Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:18:41 AM »
The SX230 HS has built in GPS, and the Sony DSC-HX5V and DSC-TX7 have built in GPS as well. If pocket cameras can have GPS, why not DSLRs ?

Personally, I'm not using a grip, and dislike the idea of buying one in order to get GPS due to size & price.

jsixpack

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:32:14 PM »

Personally, I'm not using a grip, and dislike the idea of buying one in order to get GPS due to size & price.

I wouldn't mind having a grip with GPS, but having to buy a grip to attach ANOTHER thing that is the GPS, that's just too much for me

JSP

rossbeckernz

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 07:37:04 AM »
I mostly use 2 1D cameras wih a Black Rapid duo strap.  So a GPS in camera isn't a lot of use. 
So I've bought an I-GotU GT600 (http://global.mobileaction.com/product/product_i-gotU_GT-600.jsp)
It's really small 2" square, records 262,000 points, fully customizable & cheap (less than $100).  Now all my photos are geotagged with Lat, Long, Altitiude. I do the data matching on my PC after downloading the photos & the GPS data.
Includes my wife's pics from her G10 when she's with me.
Best $100 I've spent.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 07:37:04 AM »