October 21, 2014, 04:39:22 PM

Author Topic: How do you sell your gear?  (Read 11966 times)

bykes

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
How do you sell your gear?
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
Hello all.

New to the forum, but I've been a long time visitor to the site.  I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm having a tough time selling some gear.  I'm trying to sell my canon ef-s 17-55.  I've had it up on Craigslist for a few weeks with about 1 or 2 interested in buying that have backed out of at the last minute.  I really don't want to put it on ebay to avoid fees.

I was just curious if anyone knew of any other outlets to sell used gear. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

canon rumors FORUM

How do you sell your gear?
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »

zwilliamson

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: How do you sell your gear?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
The FredMiranda buy/sell forums are pretty awesome, a lot of very active users. There is a small fee to be able to upload and sell, but I've purchased a bit of gear there, no bad experiences.

If you want to stick with Craigslist, try taking really awesome pictures of the gear and insist on dealing with people over the phone instead of email. That usually get's rid of anyone who isn't serious about buying.

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
I've sold all my gear on Craigslist and had great results so far. Usually I get a good quantity of replies, some serious, some not just lowballing. I posted my Canon 50D and within 5 minutes got a call from a guy who wanted to meet up and purchase it. I was at work but had him meet me at a local Starbucks, sold the camera and was back with a pocket full of cash all during my work break! I am not sure where you are located. I'm located in Los Angeles. Location likely does play a part in the supply and demand, not only in buying but in selling. Ebay isn't all too bad sometimes for convenience/less hassle.

Good luck! :)
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

bykes

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
I'm going to give FredMiranda thing a try.  Just no luck with craigslist.  Just scammers and people who are not serious about buying reply to my ad there.

Thanks

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »
I use CL exclusively.  You need to decide what you're willing to take.  Personally, I only buy for 70% or less of the current new item price.  I've had good luck selling at 75-80% of new.  Include good pics in your ad, product -type pics ('seamless' white background, a piece of paper works just crop tight).  Ask for a phone number in the reply.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
A tip: When selling your gear through CL or any other such source, choose to meet somewhere public. I personally choose Starbucks and insist they come in to meet once they arrive because there is security video feed for authorities in case someone chooses to do something crazy like make a run for it once they've inspected your gear. You have to be covered when you're selling a body or an L lens etc.
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
How about if you're selling all of your gear and switching to Nikon?  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »

SteveCSmith

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »
A tip: When selling your gear through CL or any other such source, choose to meet somewhere public. I personally choose Starbucks and insist they come in to meet once they arrive because there is security video feed for authorities in case someone chooses to do something crazy like make a run for it once they've inspected your gear. You have to be covered when you're selling a body or an L lens etc.

Good advice.  Craigslist is full of bargain hunters (like me :).  I've done well buying and selling on craigslist, but some things take longer than others.  Unless you're dumping, you may need to wait a month or more (assuming you are in or close to a major metro area - rural could be even harder and force you to a national market).  Took me almost 2 months to get someone who actually followed through to sell a 50mm 1.4.

Agreed on a phone number... also gives you a little more of a "solid contact" in case someone is trying to scam you.  There are some things I only post a phone number for, no email - definitely filters out the tire kickers.

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
I am trying to sell my 17-55 2.8 IS as well, lots of hits but it's people wanting it for 500 bucks which is annoying. I second the phone number thing I have been using that a lot more now. Still get a lot of people who aren't very serious, I had a guy offer me a 18-55 and cash.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
The FredMiranda buy/sell forums are pretty awesome, a lot of very active users. There is a small fee to be able to upload and sell, but I've purchased a bit of gear there, no bad experiences.

If you want to stick with Craigslist, try taking really awesome pictures of the gear and insist on dealing with people over the phone instead of email. That usually get's rid of anyone who isn't serious about buying.
Yep, I've done both. Personally I prefer buying my gear of FredMiranda (I think every lens I own was bought there) because I generally trust other photographers to rate their gear accurately.

For selling, I've done both, but I've gotten faster turnaround on CL. But, that's what being near a big city (DC) will do for you. If I was more rural, I'd probably have to rely on Ebay or FM.

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
I use CL exclusively.  You need to decide what you're willing to take.  Personally, I only buy for 70% or less of the current new item price.  I've had good luck selling at 75-80% of new.  Include good pics in your ad, product -type pics ('seamless' white background, a piece of paper works just crop tight).  Ask for a phone number in the reply.

LOL.  Now I know why I feel the resell value of my gears were so bad.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

I use the same method as Neuro above: CL all the way.  Ebay works if you're patient and don't mind shipping, paying Ebay fee and Paypal fees...and maybe getting less for your items.
Craigslist has its inherited security concerns with selling expensive items:
I use these guidelines for CL:
1. Never bring a buyer to your home. Meet at a local busy business like Starbucks, etc.
2. Never ship any item and expect to get paid.
3. Talk to the buyer on the phone before you meet.
4. Be honest about the condition of your item.
5. Be realistic about what your fair price is and what the market will bare.
6. Cash only or trade, never a check, cashiers check or money order.
7. Bring a friend if possible to witness the transaction.

Good luck.
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

superotaku78

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »
I sold a 7D, Sigma 30mm 1.4, and Tamron 17-50mm VC, in less than a week on CL when I upgraded to my now dead :'( 5D Mark II.  I was amazed how easy it was to sell camera equipment and how many legit offers I received.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »

stringfellow1946

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Chris Weston Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
For as much money as I can get ;D
1DX, 1Dmk4, 1D2N, 8-15 f/4L, 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8 is II L, 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/2.5 macro, 85 f/1.8, 300 f/4 L.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Hello all.

New to the forum, but I've been a long time visitor to the site.  I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm having a tough time selling some gear.  I'm trying to sell my canon ef-s 17-55.  I've had it up on Craigslist for a few weeks with about 1 or 2 interested in buying that have backed out of at the last minute.  I really don't want to put it on ebay to avoid fees.

I was just curious if anyone knew of any other outlets to sell used gear. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

I sold my 17-55 a couple months ago on Ebay and netted about 750.  The fees may be higher, but the market is a lot bigger too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »