October 23, 2014, 08:13:39 AM

Author Topic: How do you sell your gear?  (Read 11998 times)

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: How do you sell your gear?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
I have used craigslist exclusively.  As others have mentioned, certain factors help, such as selling in a large metropolitan area (in Chicago here) and requiring a telephone number for contact.

I also agree very much with others here on how helpful it is to have good-looking photographs of what your are selling.  I get top results for listings with photographs where DOF is shallow (I use a 50mm f/1.2L for CL photos).  Naturally, meeting in a public place is recommended.  To avoid lowballers, I include a line in my listings to the effect of "price is firm".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:39:23 PM by notapro »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »

ssan

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »
I've had very good luck with CL so far. Sold a couple of point & shoots, lenses, cell phones and a monopod to a cop who showed up in uniform in his police car, paid cash and left. Most recently I sold my 50D to someone who wanted me to meet him closer to where he's at (45 minute drive for me) and he actually paid more than I was asking to cover gas.

I'm surprised that I haven't sold my EF-S 10-22mm yet (lots of lowballers though) since I listed it at the same time as the 50D body. I was confident the demand for the lens would be much higher than a 4-year-old camera body. Haven't got lucky yet.

bykes

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
I've had very good luck with CL so far. Sold a couple of point & shoots, lenses, cell phones and a monopod to a cop who showed up in uniform in his police car, paid cash and left. Most recently I sold my 50D to someone who wanted me to meet him closer to where he's at (45 minute drive for me) and he actually paid more than I was asking to cover gas.

I'm surprised that I haven't sold my EF-S 10-22mm yet (lots of lowballers though) since I listed it at the same time as the 50D body. I was confident the demand for the lens would be much higher than a 4-year-old camera body. Haven't got lucky yet.

I hear what your sayin.  It's suprising what sells and what doesn't.  Apparently the Canon 17-55 is one of that doesn't sell!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
Apparently the Canon 17-55 is one of that doesn't sell!

I sold mine the day after I listed it on CL (and that was only because we couldn't fine a mutually agreeable time on the day I posted the ad).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »
I've STILL got to finish my ads.

All the pics are taken -- I'm just hoping I'm not in the market for a reality check on price.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

DigitalDivide

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
What about KEH?  I have had only positive experiences both buying and selling used gear with them.  Their buyers visit cities around the US from time to time, so it may be worth checking if they will be coming to your area anytime soon.

I attended one of these sessions, and they surprised me by offering more than I expected for the items I brought - more even than their automated website valuation tool quoted.  Of course they have to make a profit so they will turn around and sell for more than they paid me, but I was very happy with their valuation.  They pay in cash on the spot, so there is zero risk and you always have the option to say no if you think you can do better elsewhere.

The gear I sold was all old Bronica MF stuff in very good condition, mostly ETRSi E or EII lenses that I was upgrading to the PE series for those that know this manufacturer.  I'm not sure how their valuations for recent Canon equipment would stack up against CL or fleaBay, but if they set up shop close by it certainly is convenient.

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
kijiji

Be sure to state in your ad: cash only, local pickup, I do not ship, lowballers don't bother trying.

And yes you should take photos of the actual lens for sale.  Don't use photos pilfered from the net.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »

bykes

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
Apparently the Canon 17-55 is one of that doesn't sell!

I sold mine the day after I listed it on CL (and that was only because we couldn't fine a mutually agreeable time on the day I posted the ad).

I've sold plenty of things on Craig's list that sold immediately in my area.  Mostly furniture.  I guess I need to be patient.

señor Steve

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
+1 for CL

I have had great experiences both buying and selling.  It has been nice to see people willing to bend over backwards to make sure I have been satisfied both buying and selling gear.  At least in Austin, I deal with more congenial people than at camera stores.  I always meet at a Starbucks or similar.
5d mk3 etc

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 04:39:05 PM »
This thread's re-inspired me to get off my duff and get the writeups done tonight.

For one or two items, I've decided to state the price is firm (because I'm not really certain I want to sell them).  On others that I have decided to be a little flexible on, is it enough to not state it's firm?

Is it even worth mentioning not to lowball, or just outright ignore the responses?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »
This thread's re-inspired me to get off my duff and get the writeups done tonight.

For one or two items, I've decided to state the price is firm (because I'm not really certain I want to sell them).  On others that I have decided to be a little flexible on, is it enough to not state it's firm?

Is it even worth mentioning not to lowball, or just outright ignore the responses?
People are gonna low-ball you no matter what you put in your listing, just ignore them. But, coming off harsh might actually scare a real buyer away.

All I do is list the condition, reason why I'm selling, and then state the price and that the deal is cash only, local pickup. If you decide to be flexible on price, wait a few days, then add that to the description when you renew the listing. No reason to encourage lowball offers from the start.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »

I just drop a hint on that CanonRumors Forum site, sit back and wait for the offers to roll in!!

Oops.

As George Costanza said: "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know...."

Seriously, CL now that I'm in a metro area again. Up in the Sierra foothills, not much market for L glass!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »
My offer of $750 for the 17-55 f2.8 still stands.  Won't last long though if it becomes available on Canon's refurb site.
70D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 430EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »

bykes

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

I just drop a hint on that CanonRumors Forum site, sit back and wait for the offers to roll in!!

Oops.

As George Costanza said: "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know...."

Seriously, CL now that I'm in a metro area again. Up in the Sierra foothills, not much market for L glass!

Yeah,  I could see how I pulled a Costanza :). But if it works then that lens gets a good home and I do t have to deal with all the emails from spammers and scammers on CL.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »

People are gonna low-ball you no matter what you put in your listing, just ignore them. But, coming off harsh might actually scare a real buyer away.

All I do is list the condition, reason why I'm selling, and then state the price and that the deal is cash only, local pickup. If you decide to be flexible on price, wait a few days, then add that to the description when you renew the listing. No reason to encourage lowball offers from the start.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »