September 01, 2014, 10:21:02 AM

Author Topic: How do you sell your gear?  (Read 11588 times)

Brendon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Site
Re: How do you sell your gear?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »
I have used Amazon marketplace many time for selling gear.  Just like ebay, you will lose a few percent for Amazon's cut but I've sold several lenses for very near new prices. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:07 AM »
I go to one of 2-3 local shops that do trade-ins, and trade the equipment for either new or used equipment.

The shops pay less than I would get selling the lenses directly to other photographers, but it saves me some headaches.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 09:44:08 AM »

So there is no misunderstanding. My comment wasn't about anyone or what they may or may not be doing. It was just a dumb joke. If a piece of equipment gets moved around because of a discussion here, that's great. I'm not a moderator here -- and I don't even play one on TV. (Another dumb joke!)

I just drop a hint on that CanonRumors Forum site, sit back and wait for the offers to roll in!!

Oops.

As George Costanza said: "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know...."

Seriously, CL now that I'm in a metro area again. Up in the Sierra foothills, not much market for L glass!

Yeah,  I could see how I pulled a Costanza :). But if it works then that lens gets a good home and I do t have to deal with all the emails from spammers and scammers on CL.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

dawgfanjeff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Site:
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »
I have sold stuff on CL with no issues, expensive guitar included. 

In addition to that excellent advice already given (cash only, meet inside a public place, etc...), write up a bill of sale, make two copies and both of you sign and date it in blue ink.

Something like this,
------------
I, <your name> sell my Canon 10-22 EF-S lens, serial number <######> to <buyer name>, AS IS.
-------------

The "AS IS" protects you (in my state anyway) from the buyer assuming any warranty is expressed or implied.   No buyer should have a problem signing this, it protects you both.
5DIII, | 100 2.8 Macro | 24-105L |
70-200 f/4L IS | 50 1.4 | 10-22 (for sale!)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »
So, I'm at almost a week of having stuff up (CL), and I refreshed it once.  I got one reply, which I took as phishing (asked if I was sure about condition of item and there were SEVERAL clear pictures and if it was still available just after posting) so I let it go without a response.

Today I got two identical messages from a similarly named guy/email at gmail but it said that the e-mail only traced back to CL's server.

Since I asked for a phone number in the first response, and these don't appear to be written in clear English; is it better to give a pass on these?

Is there a way to respond (didn't see one) with a hidden address like Ebay does?

Thanks folks.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

bykes

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
So, I'm at almost a week of having stuff up (CL), and I refreshed it once.  I got one reply, which I took as phishing (asked if I was sure about condition of item and there were SEVERAL clear pictures and if it was still available just after posting) so I let it go without a response.

Today I got two identical messages from a similarly named guy/email at gmail but it said that the e-mail only traced back to CL's server.

Since I asked for a phone number in the first response, and these don't appear to be written in clear English; is it better to give a pass on these?

Is there a way to respond (didn't see one) with a hidden address like Ebay does?

Thanks folks.

I get a lot of those too.  They say things like.  "Is your item still available?"  They don't mention what you are selling at all and aren't written in proper english.  They are tempting to respond too.  Especially since I'm not getting any legit offers.

Just ignore them and only respond if the person says they live in the area or mentions what you are selling in their initial email.

Lots of scammers and spammers on CL.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
I find try to find a direct family member that will appreciate it for free.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »

I used to do that (TVs, Computers, Cameras) and everyone would get a free upgrade :)

Married now, have to recoup the funds before I'm allowed to buy a Mk3  ::)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

superotaku78

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
I just sold a 24-105, 430EXII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, and a new Xbox 360 (bought with credit card points that were going to expire) in less than a week on Kijiji, CL, and a local forum.  All cash deals where I met the buyer at a neutral location.  Check market value and make sure you're not expecting too much for what you're selling.  Also, indicate in your ad that you will not be responding to lowball offers. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:56:41 AM by superotaku78 »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »

That reminds me -- you really can (perhaps should) give things away sometimes. A woman on CL locally was looking for items for a photography class she was going to give for children this past summer. I gave her a bunch of expired B&W film, couple of old compact film cameras and a couple of Yashica rangefinders -- and a light meter.

The caveat is to make sure it's a legitimate organization. They'll give you a letter for charitable donation to a tax-exempt organization if you want it for tax purposes.

Makes me happy to know there will be some teens in a few years taking pictures with iPhones -- but who also know how to use a rangefinder and film!

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
Check market value and make sure you're not expected too much for what you're selling.  Also, indicate in your ad that you will not be responding to lowball offers.

I tried to kill two birds with one stone here:
Listed at what basically people were asking for used (high IMO)
Only going to respond to people with reasonable ballpark offers (e.g. where a 'meet in the middle' price is something I'm comfortable with)

I think it may be the region I selected; there's another nearby that's probably more popular, but I wanted to give a realistic expectation as to location.

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
Amazon is an excellent choice for dumping gear at higher prices .... but be prepared to be bent over and violated with their commission structure (9%). Fred Miranda is a very liquid market IF you have some feedback. Otherwise, the guys on the forums tend to not trust anyone. i can't blame them with all the scams going on
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »
I use CL exclusively.  You need to decide what you're willing to take.  Personally, I only buy for 70% or less of the current new item price.  I've had good luck selling at 75-80% of new.  Include good pics in your ad, product -type pics ('seamless' white background, a piece of paper works just crop tight).  Ask for a phone number in the reply.

+1....on CL. I recently sold my 50mm f1.4. I posted at 3:30PM and the lens is sold by 6:30PM same day. The lens sold at $290 - current price tag for NEW is $360.

As Neuro mentioned....you need to know current market price and don't expect to get 90% of new. Under html, post 5-6 clear decent size pictures - make your decripstion short and clear. The main things are PICTURES & SELLING PRICE.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:33:50 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
I got a slight nibble on one thing :)

I think my problem is I need to post on a more active board that's a bordering region (sorta dumb because I'm 1mi from the other region).

I don't think you can move region, only remove and repost on CL, right?

hippoeater

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
Yeah, +1 for CL as well. I've had some amazingly good experiences and luck selling stuff on there. Met some great people but have dealt with some incredibly annoying people that will offer you disgustingly low prices on equipment.

I was recently selling my 50mm 1.2 on there and had someone offer me 400 for it...ended up selling it to someone for 1100 tho, so turned out pretty good.

Having a hard time getting rid of my 100mm 2.8 L macro on there tho :/ Been listed for 2 weeks now with 0 interest. Priced it at 800 with a free B+W UV filter, original receipt from BHphoto (was only purchased 45 days ago) and all the contents and accessories :/

Oh well, we'll see how it goes when I bump it.
RX-1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »