July 25, 2014, 07:53:03 PM

Author Topic: Canon kicked of the DXO Mark score card.  (Read 885 times)

Freelancer

Canon kicked of the DXO Mark score card.
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
As a Nikon user, I remember a time when I envied everything Canon. A few years ago, Canon had the best DSLR video, their cameras were the fastest, and they were the absolute kings of high ISO. Today DxOMark has released their review of the new Nikon D600, and to everyone’s surprise it has the 3rd best overall DSLR sensor in the land (beats the D4). More shocking is not a single Canon camera is in the top 10. Has Canon dropped the ball or is DxOMark unbelievably biased?

So the question remains, has Nikon completely destroyed Canon over the last few years with their redesigned CMOS sensors? As a photographer interested in video, I think it’s safe to say Canon still wins the best DSLR video award (the Mark III is beautiful for video), but it looks like Nikon has been leading the market in the categories most important to photographers such as ISO, Dynamic Range, and Color Depth.

At this point in my career, I feel like all of these cameras on the list are so beyond what is really necessary to produce amazing photographs (it’s all in the photographer anyways, right?) Compared to my first DSLR camera, the Nikon D200, each and every one of these DSLRs is a pure joy to use on location or in the studio. That being said, I can’t say that it doesn’t make me feel pretty good knowing that the system I have subscribed to is producing some of the most amazing cameras compared to the other options on the market.

http://fstoppers.com/nikon-compared-to-canon-dxo-mark-best-digital-camera

i wonder if we will ever hear something from canon in response to such articles... or if they just ignore it.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon kicked of the DXO Mark score card.
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: Canon kicked of the DXO Mark score card.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
Canon will ignore it.

Canon people will find ways to rubbish DxO criteria... 

Personally while I feel ISO and DR are important, I think they put too much weightage on Color Depth... after some point, it ceases to become important and feel they should drop it off altogether (see I am rubbishing DxO criteria  ;) )
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
a canon response would be like this:

"our sensors are good enough for our customers. we never heard any complain."
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »