December 20, 2014, 04:05:21 PM

Poll

If Canon would offer to unlock firmware features for money...

I'd consider it if the basic body is cheaper
15 (37.5%)
I want a complete camera out of the box
19 (47.5%)
I'd buy a Nikon
6 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: September 30, 2012, 03:03:02 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Would you pay for firmware feature upgrades?  (Read 2987 times)

Jotho

Re: POLL: Would you pay for firmware feature upgrades?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
Show us the Canon article.

I don't know about 4k, but at least the different compression codecs in the 1dc are simply an extended firmware over the 1dx - at least the Magic Lantern devs think so, got it from their forum. Canon is very unlikely to confirm this of course, it might enrage users, though there is no reason for it - selling better software is absolutely ok, thus the thread.

In your earlier post you mentioned something like 'just a firmware upgrade', I understand why you say like that, but there is not only cost going into producing hardware. SW-development is also costly and time consuming, thus manufacturers will need to charge for major upgrades. Minor upgrades and fixes are normally free. I don't know enough to say if the 7D upgrade was to consider being a a major upgrade, but to me it seems like it. That would have other reasons of course, like extending the life cycle of the product. Launching new products is good, but you don't want to put too much out there in the same time. It doesn't optimize sales.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
afaik afma has nothing to do with hardware, but is a simple software hack that remembers the data per lens and adds/substracts this value from the values it's getting from the phase af.

I wouldn't assume that at all. My guess would be that autofocus is running on its own ASIC, and the code on said chip needs to know about the fact that it's supposed to accept offsets. If the chip wasn't designed with that type of input in mind, it may well be that it only has pins capable of starting and stopping the focus system.

At least, that'd be the cheapest way to build such a thing. Why add hooks for knobs that you know will never get twisted?

b&

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »
Why add hooks for knobs that you know will never get twisted?

To enable the most versatile marketing. A dev cycle of a dslr will take a while, and the engineers won't know what the market or their ceo demands when the design is ready. So if the cost isn't too high it might be clever to have something in hardware with the option to disable it later due to marketing reasons.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »