December 21, 2014, 07:13:47 PM

Author Topic: Delays Abound?  (Read 22457 times)

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Delays Abound?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
I fully understand the reason why Canon and others might have to delay previously planned launches. What I do fail to grasp is why they choose to keep everyone guessing. It did not make sense before the disaster and makes even less sense now. Is it a peculiar Japanese trait?

I'd feel much more comfortable waiting for the 1Ds mk4 if I knew that it's specs were in line with my requirements. If they were not, I'd be able to look for alternatives but if OK, then at least I'd know that the wait was worth it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »

canon fan29

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
you would be crazy to believe this rumour, this is canon trying to keep there sales going just a little bit longer until the new camera's are released. This the simplest form of marketing.
There will be a new 5d mark iii within 3 months. There factories ain't as affected as they're letting on, and with sales been slowing for sometime due to everyone with half brain knowing that there's going to be a new line coming out sooon. This is just a last crack attempt to sell the last stock for those busting photographers who just can't wait any longer. Trust me - even though you don't know me.. wait. If anything, when no-ones buying its going to push them to release the newest model sooner..
Also if you read there website it says the factories affected begun producing in other plants that had room to increase production.

thien135

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
 >:( :( :-[ gave up on canon . switch to nikon then

docsmith

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
.....If they were not, I'd be able to look for alternatives but if OK, then at least I'd know that the wait was worth it.

Right there seems to be plenty of reason to not announce the specs of the new product until the last minute. Why would they want you to jump ship early?

I know this pertains to me and several people are looking at an upgrade.  For you, I am sorry as I am sure these are unwelcome rumors.  Also, it is unfortunate that the delays come as Nikon has just refreshed some of their camera lines.  So, hopefully Canon at least gets the 5DIII out this year.

But for me, as I have the 7D...all this means is that I won't be shooting with outdated technology longer.  Which is fine by me! :D

gene_can_sing

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
Come on... Canon is above releasing new products now. They just plan on coasting their current line-up until 2015. Then maybe, just maybe.... we'll see a glimpse of the 5d3.

Come on Canon, for us video guys, especially with Sony just killing it with awesome new cameras, you guys are losing quickly. Soon, everyone will  have to start jumping ship because they cannon wait any longer for a Moire free camera.

endigo

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 02:08:26 PM »
I'd feel much more comfortable waiting for the 1Ds mk4 if I knew that it's specs were in line with my requirements.

BINGO! They just want you to buy what is in stock now, otherwise they and their distributors will be stuck with outdated equipment.

endigo

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
I'd be ok with a 2013 release for the xxD, that's about when I'll be in the market for one.
I'm still using an XTi. I am looking forward to upgrading to a 5D3 as soon as they arrive... in 2013.  >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
>:( :( :-[ gave up on canon . switch to nikon then

Nikon doesn't have any announcements either. I can understand the frustration but just be patient. The 5D3, and new 1D(s) will come at some point. My guess it will be with in a few months of Nikon's announcements anyway.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
It is completely understandable if Canon delays the release of these new bodies another 6 months, imo.  However, what's inexcusable is the lack of concrete information from Canon itself.  Why can't they tell us what's going on?  Ok, so they can't manufacture new products until early-mid next year.  But why can't they announce new products before then?  I would at least like to see some specifications with the disclaimer "coming soon" if they don't have an expected date of release.  Some companies even announce products months ahead of time!  Why can't Canon do this?

I guess it's going to be a long 2011 playing the waiting game...

Justin

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »
The person who floated this rumor should have quit before he/she got to the T4i. Somebody please tell me what the specs of a T4i could possibly be?

There is about a micro-millimeter difference between the T3i and the 60D as it is. Why would Canon go through the expense of developing and marketing a camera that would simply cannibalize sales from the other models without expanding the market one bit?

My sentimonys exarctly.

My hunch is we will not see a T4i without

A) new tech that would only make sense appear in higher end models (canon is a cost conscientious company, they don't make tech and stick it in one camera only)

And B) Some time between the release of the new tech and when it appears in a rebel

Which makes me believe this is all up in the air. No one knows, probably not even canon

Leaves open a real opportunity to whomever gets to market first since the thirst will be high for new tech after such long product cycles.

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
See the trouble I have believing any of those days is you have potentially 5 camera bodies being released in 2012, and four of those are major bodies (1D, 1Ds, 5D, 7D).

Canon is not going to do that, earthquake delay or not, they won't stack up 5 major bodies for release in a year.  Just imagine if there was a common thread issue that messed them all up, or sales/support was overwhelmed with the deployments.

No, I can't see that happening.

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
A bit off the topic, but it seems that Canon's (and probably Nikon's) approach reflects the typical response of major Japanese firms when facing an unexpected crisis.

You can probably see shadows of Toyota (don't need to elaborate on this), Tokyo Electric (the power company connected with the nuke fiasco in Japan), and even Sony (over the Playstation network issue) there.

First comes the "we're evaluating the situation" phase, which could probably go on indefinitely until the customers go berserk and demand information. It's only at the point when a huge backlash in public opinion is about to occur do the companies come out and admit that things are really going wrong. Then you get the executives line up in line to take a deep bow. 

So I guess we're in the "too late for coverups" stage now, since the prices of the camera body now pretty reflects a de-facto shortage.

Frankly, I think rather than seeing when the new cameras hit the shelf, it would be more practical to see when the price/supply of current camera bodies return to "normal" - if such stage exists.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

zerotiu

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
you would be crazy to believe this rumour, this is canon trying to keep there sales going just a little bit longer until the new camera's are released. This the simplest form of marketing.
There will be a new 5d mark iii within 3 months. There factories ain't as affected as they're letting on, and with sales been slowing for sometime due to everyone with half brain knowing that there's going to be a new line coming out sooon. This is just a last crack attempt to sell the last stock for those busting photographers who just can't wait any longer. Trust me - even though you don't know me.. wait. If anything, when no-ones buying its going to push them to release the newest model sooner..
Also if you read there website it says the factories affected begun producing in other plants that had room to increase production.

I think this makes sense. This is Canon strategy to clean the stock cameras. I think I'll wait

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
Come on... Canon is above releasing new products now. They just plan on coasting their current line-up until 2015. Then maybe, just maybe.... we'll see a glimpse of the 5d3.

Come on Canon, for us video guys, especially with Sony just killing it with awesome new cameras, you guys are losing quickly. Soon, everyone will  have to start jumping ship because they cannon wait any longer for a Moire free camera.

They are in SERIOUS danger of blowing the high quality mini movie camera market to Sony, by milking current line so long and protecting 1 series etc they may protect and milk themselves right out of the market and lose a lot more in the end! That said, at this point they may be stuck because of the earthquake, but that is why they should not have rested in their laurels so much earlier.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »
I fully understand the reason why Canon and others might have to delay previously planned launches. What I do fail to grasp is why they choose to keep everyone guessing. It did not make sense before the disaster and makes even less sense now. Is it a peculiar Japanese trait?

I'd feel much more comfortable waiting for the 1Ds mk4 if I knew that it's specs were in line with my requirements. If they were not, I'd be able to look for alternatives but if OK, then at least I'd know that the wait was worth it.

Ever heard of Osborne PCs? No?
Well that is why Canon won't do that.
(that said it is true that the camera makers tend to be extra hold back)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »