April 21, 2014, 04:09:03 AM

Author Topic: Delays Abound?  (Read 19980 times)

Chewngum

• Canon AE-1
  • F1.6 is the best.
    • View Profile
    • Peter Kingsley Photography
Re: Delays Abound?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
Like the iphone 5 beling delayed due to Sony not being able to supply the camera sensor, so too Canon, Nikon etc are being hindered by other manufacturers. If even a single part cannot be properly supplied then the whole production line is halted. Canon has not done anything ground breaking since the 5dmkII other manufacturers are going in leaps and bounds while Canon have just put the annoyingly noisey 7d sensor in the xxd and xxxd lines. There is going to need to be more than one ground breaking spec/quality of the next line from Canon, they've definately had the time to do it.
Cameras: 5d2, 5d3
Lenses: 17-40L 24-105L 50L 100L s35A s85 70-200L IS II + lots of flashes. About 100 previous bodies/lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »
I'm sort of stuck with Canon because I own some really expensive Canon lenses which I use for Video. With that said, supposedly Birger Engineering is coming out with an electronic EOS adapter for Panasonic video cameras. Says it will be out in late May. If it works, I might have to jump ship. Don't really want to, but Canon is leaving us no choice at this point.

I just can't keep dealing with crazy moire patterns in my video. I really think the earthquake becoming Canons way of just milking their customers. Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with announcing and delivering new Cameras and Nikon is set to release some.

Why not Canon? Why not at least give some specs? Why such secrecy? It's completely bad business at this point to just milk people dry on yesterdays tech.

I think everyone should just NOT buy a camera unless you absolutely have to. That way sales will stall, and it may be the only way for them to release something, since Canon has shown that they only understand money.

J-Man

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
But why can't they announce new products before then?  I would at least like to see some specifications with the disclaimer "coming soon" if they don't have an expected date of release.  Some companies even announce products months ahead of time!  Why can't Canon do this?
They could, but when competition is close and product cycles are short, sharing your product plans early gives the competition time to out spec you. 

Another possibility is that rather than try and catch up with the shortage of their older models, they could just retool for their new lines and announce them earlier, they may loose in the short term though.

Cicada

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:11 AM »
I was at NAB as well as a recent canon workshop. A rep let it slip (unintentionally) a bit about the 5D3. when asked about it privately, he didn't elaborate at all, except for saying "probably not this year".

I've also heard the same things coming from a few other reps.

monst

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 03:43:54 AM »
Is there any news on G13??

WarStreet

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 04:19:23 AM »
Sorry to say this, but I have to disagree on most posts here. I can't see anything evil from Canon. Canon release more bodies then the competition. The rebels are updated every year with small improvements while Nikon updates their equivalent every 2 years. Like many, I am waiting for the 5DIII, but as I have already mentioned before here (much before the earthquake) on a 3 year cycle we should expect the camera not earlier then Q4 2011 and can go up to Q2 2012.

Due to the quality of the latest Sony sensors being used on every body out there, together to the fact that we are approaching finite spec limits, I think that body cycle update time will increase.

by finite spec limits, I don't mean technology limits, but specs which can't be improved anymore since they are already at it's maximum (such as a 100% viewfinder) or improvements on specs which are already above most photographer's needs. This is in general, not just related to the 5D series. If the 5DIII will have the expected improvements, the 1Ds series should improve too. This is related to the whole body categories, and the more we approach finite limits, the less the difference between each body category, and hence an expected decrease in price difference too.

So, I consider all this as a normal cycle time, and not a delay, and doubt that the earthquake will have much impact on cameras which are not in production. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:23:35 AM by WarStreet »

Rob

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 05:43:50 AM »
I know its to late for this now, but I think if Canon knew they where going to take this long with a substantial replacement for the 1ds3 they should have released a "N" version around Q4 09 with the 5d2 sensor (for better ISO ) and the video and the high def lcd and reduced the price a little and it would have kept there flagship a lot fresher looking. I also think Canon should do a mild update with pro bodies half way through there cycle, if its going to be 4 years.
Better to live in denial, that way you wont be disappointed!

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 5Dc | 24-70 f2.8L | 24-105L | 17-40L | 85f1.8 | 70-200 f2.8L IS | Sigma 12-24 | 580EXx2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 05:43:50 AM »

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »
One more argument adding more weight to the delay - PMA 2011 trade show cancelled.

"There are some launches in fall, but the significant ones tend to be in the spring."
Source: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1105/11050410pma2011cancelled.asp

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 08:58:29 AM »
I still don't understand why everyone is so upset about this. Japan was hit with a earthquake and it had delayed their new camera announcements. Now, it's just smart business not to announce your new products too soon. If you go ahead and tell people that the replacement is coming you end up having your current products competing with products that don't exsist and sales will stall.

You may not like it, but if Canon is not ready to release the 5D3 yet then they are doing what they must but not announcing it.

You may not like it, but announcing a new product without being ready to produce it is just bad business.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

motorhead

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
Eyeone,

I tend to agree with Rob. While Canon obviously did not know the future when they made the decision to pull the planned 1Ds mk4, it was still a big mistake then and subsequent events have only made matters worse.

Be honest, do you really think Canon have been selling the IDs mk3 in any quantity for the last 2 years? Unless forced to replace a defunct body, everyone with a serious interest in the mk4 has been busy holding their breathe waiting. This cannot make any business sense however you look at it.

No, with or without hindsight, the 1Ds 4 should have been released back when it was originally planned, then Canon would have bought themselves time to redesign the camera from the ground up. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
You may not like it, but announcing a new product without being ready to produce it is just bad business.

You may not like it, but announcing a new product without being ready to produce it is just bad business seems to be the norm for Canon these days....
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

zerotiu

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »

You may not like it, but announcing a new product without being ready to produce it is just bad business seems to be the norm for Canon these days....

I can't agree more

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
 ::)

Everyone is a critic.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
One more argument adding more weight to the delay - PMA 2011 trade show cancelled.

"There are some launches in fall, but the significant ones tend to be in the spring."
Source: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1105/11050410pma2011cancelled.asp

I think you're onto something Ivar; why has PMA (alias Cliq) been cancelled? The answer seems to me that the manufacturers don't have enough new stuff to announce to bother with the expense of attending.  To be honest, I'm sure that they've probably tried -they want to get their new models on the market for the Q4 (i.e. pre-Christmas) sales potential.  I think that they've been slipping behind schedule and have had to admit that they'll not be able to meet the PMA deadline. 

Hey, I hope that I'm proved wrong, but where else are they planning to announce their new models? To be fair, the top-of-the-line pro-cameras tend not to be announced at trade fairs, so maybe we'll see a 1Ds Mk4 (or 1D Mk5) in December followed by an early 2012 release for the 5D MkIII. 

On a different note, what on earth are they going to do with the next Rebel in spring 2012 if they haven't released a 7D MkII.  Surely they can't simply produce another minor iteration with the 18MP sensor, what worthwhile addition can they make that doesn't take it into 60D territory?  Maybe they're planning to introduce the new APS-C sensor on the 650D. 

magicbullet

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
The person I know from a very reliable source, with a main distributor to film industry, said. There was a trainning session for the new camera that canon will be introducing, but after the tsunami hit, it was nothing. Canon later said the product will be "greatly delay." quote from what he said.

I assume 5DM3 was suppose to be the product, but now there is nothing to be certain about. all the price are increasing and about half the shipment are coming in. my buddy said, it looks pretty bad, but the letter said there is nothing to worry about >_<!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »