July 28, 2014, 04:40:12 AM

Author Topic: Best FF option  (Read 10047 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Best FF option
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
For MLB games, another option is a used 1D Mark IV.  Supurb camera with a 1.3 crop factor.  It will blow away your 7D, and can be found in the $3200-$3600 range.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
For MLB games, another option is a used 1D Mark IV.  Supurb camera with a 1.3 crop factor.  It will blow away your 7D, and can be found in the $3200-$3600 range.
You mentioned FF, but a APS-H is a larger sensor and will go well with your lenses.
Otherwise, just watch for a deal on the 5D Mark III.  It will happen within 3 or less weeks.

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 01:29:53 AM »
I'd say keep your 7D for sports.  Since you have that genre covered already, then a 5D II or even a 5D classic would be fine for landscapes and portraits, as long as you don't ask them to focus perfectly at large apertures.

I understand from reviews that the amazing autofocus on the 5D III will allow you to do portraiture at large apertures, but I don't have mine yet to confirm.

Another question is which lenses are required to take advantage of this new autofocus system?  If you believe Roger Cicala, only Canon lenses made in the last two years are designed to take advantage of the new system.  You may be looking at over $5,500 for a Mark III and one of the new 24-70 II lenses to get true large aperture focus accuracy.

But as others have said, the equipment does not make the photo, you do.

Mike

Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

Jotho

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 03:14:23 AM »
Get a 6D?
Love to know why you recommend a 6D?
I didn't recommend it, but what would be wrong with it? It's a nicely priced camera with a lot of cool features. At this stage it would be futile to say anything about IQ etc, wait until reviews come out before ruling it out.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:21:26 AM »
Get a 6D?
I didn't recommend it, but what would be wrong with it? It's a nicely priced camera with a lot of cool features. At this stage it would be futile to say anything about IQ etc, wait until reviews come out before ruling it out.

please what is nicely priced?

it´s a AF crippled 60D with a FF sensor for twice as much money.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:23:20 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

Jotho

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 06:20:43 AM »
Get a 6D?

Really? And in what way is the AF crippled? I try to see it for what it is as I explained above. I think this camera will sell really well, especially with wifi adding extra functionality.  I am certain it will provide great IQ, AF in line with its price range and adding to that Canon's fine lens line up. Neither of us have seen the camera yet so it's quite childish to bash it for qualities or lack of qualities that you don't have any idea of.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:55 AM »
...............?  If you believe Roger Cicala, only Canon lenses made in the last two years are designed to take advantage of the new system.  You may be looking at over $5,500 for a Mark III and one of the new 24-70 II lenses to get true large aperture focus accuracy.

But as others have said, the equipment does not make the photo, you do.

Mike

But as others have said, the equipment does not make the photo, you do. True

But besides that, is there anyone using 5D MK IIIor 1DX and the 24-105 or 70-200 MK II that suffers from this while shooting?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:55 AM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »
Really? And in what way is the AF crippled?

well read a bit about cross type sensors and then read the feature list of both cameras.... you may get it.

I am certain it will provide great IQ, AF in line with its price range

a 1200 euro 7D has way better AF then the 6D so what are you trying to tell us here?
the 900 euro 60D has cross type sensors for all AF points.

I think this camera will sell really well, especially with wifi adding extra functionality.

oh yeah as if that means something to an educated customer.
or as if wifi explains the cost of the 6D .. i can buy wifi cards and USB sticks for 15 euro.
wifi chips are cheap... same is true for GPS chips.

and to be honest all kind of crap sells well when there is a brand name printed on it.
because the average joe customer has no clue and only sees a brand name.   ::)

the 6D is overpriced... and this says it all:

it´s already a joke....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:29:54 AM by Canon-F1 »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Get a 6D?
I would have thought a 6D would be exactly what you need if you're just after a second body for the 7D to do architectual, landscapes, portraits etc as you won't need the more advanced AF capabilities and frame speed of the 7D or 5Diii aren't needed here.  Keep some cash in your pocket instead. 

I'd assume the image quality would be on par with other full frame options.  In fact, the lower MPs might even lead to lower noise if doing night time architectual shots.  The only real down side seems to be the slower flash synch speed.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
For stills and landscapes go for a used 1Ds Mark III or new 5D Mark II.
I sold my 5D Mark III because the camera can´t reach the image quality of the 1Ds Mark III and 5D Mark II (from ISO 50 to ISO 800).

Can you please elaborate on 5D Mark II part? Are you referring to the stronger AA filter or is it something else?
I ask because I am thinking of a 5DMkIII to keep company to my ... 5DMkII 

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »
My 5DIII just arrived, and so far I'm really impressed.  The images are very sharp, take post well, and have excellent color.  If you can get in on one of the Ebay deals, its totally worth every penny of the cost difference over a 6D.  I totally believe those folks that never regretted paying full price...its an awesome machine. 

Just a note on the AF system - it is only the newer lenses that work with the closed loop feedback capability of the AF system.  All lenses, regardless of age, will still benefit from the sensitivity and number of AF points available.  So you do not NEED brand new lenses to take wide aperture photos.  Just as you can get sharp photos at 1.2 on a 5DII, you can get them with the same lens on a 5DIII.  If the lens had the new position feedback sensor it would just be EVEN MORE reliable. 

All that said, I was going to get the 6D if the Ebay thing hadn't happened.  It looks like a great all around camera for non-sport shooters, and you have that piece covered with yoru 7D.

-Brian

Octavian

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »
Get a 6D?

Really? And in what way is the AF crippled? I try to see it for what it is as I explained above. I think this camera will sell really well, especially with wifi adding extra functionality.  I am certain it will provide great IQ, AF in line with its price range and adding to that Canon's fine lens line up. Neither of us have seen the camera yet so it's quite childish to bash it for qualities or lack of qualities that you don't have any idea of.

Whilst we cannot comment on it image quality just yet it does have the following upgrades over the 5D MkII adding to the price of the MkII

Newer sensor delivering more MP and a much better ISO range (hopefully IQ qill be just as good as the MkII)
Newer updated rear screen.
GPS and Wifi
Better AF especially in low light than the MkII

For a price a little more than the MkII so lets hope the IQ is there and the 5D MkII  'lives on' in the 6D

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Whilst we cannot comment on it image quality just yet it does have the following upgrades over the 5D MkII adding to the price of the MkII

Newer sensor delivering more MP and a much better ISO range (hopefully IQ qill be just as good as the MkII)

since when is 20.2 MP more then 21.1 MP ???  ???

GPS and Wifi

costs 50 euro... maybe...

at 1699 euro the 6D would be a deal... at 2099 euro it´s a joke.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:49:12 AM by Canon-F1 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
Re to: 70-200 F4 IS (may sell for 70-200 2.8 II) => Good choice.

for portraits sure..

but for landscape i prefer the 70-200mm f4 IS all day.

it´s lighter, much better for hiking etc.
and when do you use such wide apertures ( wider then f4) in landscape photography?
+1

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »
Many people, myself included, wrestled with or are wrestling with the same problem. I have a 7D but wanted to add FF body to my gear. Same reasons as you mentioned. I had heard rumors of a 5D II replacement for some time and waited. But then I saw the 5D II going cheaper than ever and bought it before it became discontinued. It a tried and tested camera and a classic. Its an honor just to own one! FF ability is all i wanted, and who cares about fancy extras? Its how you use it that counts!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »