December 22, 2014, 01:45:03 AM

Author Topic: What are most people using for processing RAW  (Read 19353 times)

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
What are most people using for processing RAW
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
For my 40D raw files I've been using Elements 8 for some time.
Now I'm about to get a 5D MK III, I'll not be able to use Elements 8 as it's version of ACR isn't compatible with this camera. I can't afford a copy of Photoshop CS6 so whats my best option? What do most people use? I guess the answer is Lightroom 4.1.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:03:07 AM by lastcoyote »
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

What are most people using for processing RAW
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: What are most people using for processing RAW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
For my 40D raw files I've been using Elements 8 for some time.
Now I'm about to get a 5D MK III, I'll not be able to use Elements 8 as it's version of ACR isn't compatible with this camera. I can't afford a copy of Photoshop CS6 so whats my best option? What do most people use? I guess the answer is Lightroom 4.1.

Yes LR 4.1 is Great.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »
Mac users use Aperture, pc users use Lightroom.  Of course, there are many users who use other software, they are all pretty good, but I believe that more raw photographers use the two above.
Photoshop can do it too, but its overkill for most processing.
Nothing wrong with using Elements, just upgrade if you like it, or convert images to DNG and keep using Elements 8.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:27:23 AM by Mt Spokane Photography »

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
thanks guys.
pretty sure i'll pick up LR4 then.
isn't it around this time of year that adobe release an update to elements? maybe only a short wait until then to upgrade my v8 to v11.
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
thanks guys.
pretty sure i'll pick up LR4 then.
isn't it around this time of year that adobe release an update to elements? maybe only a short wait until then to upgrade my v8 to v11.

Good choice. Before and Afters are always surprising.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »
Does anyone use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that comes free with the EOS camera? Is it any good compared to LR or PS Elements? I haven't tried LR or PSE and just started shooting RAW and processed my photos with DPP. I hope to soon learn PP using LR and/or PSE. Thanks for your thoughts.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

JoeDavid

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
Photoshop for the more serious stuff.  Capture One for quick and dirty...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

DanThePhotoMan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »
ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) on CS5 is what I've been using for quite a while, and I tell you, the before and afters are incredible. I just bought a 5Dmk3 the other week, so just to let you know you'll need to download ACR 6.7, as all the earlier versions aren't compatible (really freaked me out at first when it didn't work). I've heard a lot of people say you can't edit 5Dmk3 RAW files unless you upgrade to CS6, but that is quite false.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
Lightroom V 4.1 is my RAW converter of choice and LR has been number one for me since the first version was in public beta. After test driving just about every RAW converter on the planet, for me it always kept coming back to LR not just for the great conversions but its whole workflow setup, particularly when working with very big shoots.

Most other RAW converters are extremely good, and deliver perfect conversions but it was a business decision as much as anything else to stay with LR. I know it backwards and inside out now and can work through a big batch of files very quickly in a way that only comes with the deep understanding and experience that you get working with the same program every day. One of the very cool features is History in the develop panel.

-PW

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »
Photoshop, the newest ACR really has various exposure control sliders that work super well, finally they work much closer to how you had always hoped such sliders from some program would work. It also has auto CA removal now and the NR work better and better with each version and so on. It's a little prone to color moire during de-Bayer, but that seems to be the only negative mixed in among lots of positives.

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »
I use Corel's aftershot pro.  I'm not an expert with it, but for $40 it works for me.  I understand they are coming out with a new version soon as well.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 01:23:24 AM »
I was using DPP but recently am using LR. I really like LR. I have not tried any other products for raw.

SDsc0rch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »
Does anyone use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that comes free with the EOS camera? Is it any good compared to LR or PS Elements? I haven't tried LR or PSE and just started shooting RAW and processed my photos with DPP. I hope to soon learn PP using LR and/or PSE. Thanks for your thoughts.

i actually prefer the quality (less noise) of DPP - you really should do a side-by-side comparison of DPP to LR41 - i have - and i'm convinced

problem is.. the workflow in DPP is atrocious :(

i'm seriously considering just "brute forcing" it - batch process all my RAW through DPP to TIFFs, then import into LR41, including 1:1 previews - and just eat up HD space..
*shrug*

this for the "quality" work

only

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 01:27:44 AM »
Ive been ugrading from CS2 to CS5 and now CS6. I can tell ACR of each CS is different, the latter the better and more effective. I tried LR4 and DDP before CS6 but didnt like it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:29:17 AM by Sony »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »
Mac users use Aperture, pc users use Lightroom.  Of course, there are many users who use other software, they are all pretty good, but I believe that more raw photographers use the two above.

And Linux users use DPP running under WINE.
or at least I do because I am, I don't think there's too many of us around though...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »