August 27, 2014, 07:06:19 PM

Author Topic: Another what to do thread... Buy now or wait 7D, 60D successor.  (Read 2687 times)


  • Guest
Another what to do thread... Buy now or wait 7D, 60D successor.
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
Hi everyone, first post here... been trolling for ages but starting to get back into this and need some feedback.

With some cash to spend (approximately $1300 for the body, other money used for quality glass) I'd like to upgrade my body but obviously now is a tricky time to do so with somewhat dated products vs. new releases that are possible for the near future.  I'm looking for the best bang for my buck but don't want to regret a purchase not knowing what's coming.  Here are some key points I have in mind:

  • $ - Price for body must not exceed $1300 (found authorized reseller w/Canon Warranty for this price)
  • Love the build quality of the 7D
  • I expect the successor to the 7D (if there even is one, ever) to be far out of my price range upon release
  • I expect the successor to the 60D to be on or slightly over my price range unless they replace both with 1 body
  • I just don't feel the 60D feels good in my hands vs. the 70D, build quality matters
  • DIGIC 5 intrigues me - obviously want the latest, especially for IQ and high ISO performance
  • whatever I decide it will be teamed with 17-55 or 24-105 with a wide angle and 50mm 1.4
  • IQ - IQ - IQ! - will there be that much of a difference?
  • Patience is not my thing but thinking if I wait the price will drop a little, who the hell knows.... I can wait a little longer

Basically, it's going to come down to performance for me and build quality.  Is the successor to the 60D going to outperform the IQ of the 7D and by how much.  Does the price difference warrant the decision for either... ugh so confused. 

Appreciate the feedback, I hope to be more active here to help others in the future.


  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 2262
    • View Profile
Re: Another what to do thread... Buy now or wait 7D, 60D successor.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
I'm not going to be super helpful, but I can tell you my experience.  Today at Costco I held a 7D in my hands for the first time.  It didn't feel that much different (to me) than the 60D.  I know it is slightly heavier, but the lens that was attached as the 28-135.  I have a 24-105 and a 70-200mm f/2.8L USM which really make the few ounces that the 7D is heavier negligible.  I do like the flip out screen.  I don't use it all the time, but I do store the camera with the screen protected on the inside.  I like that it has Micro AF adjust... I like the faster shots per second.  But outside of that, it doesn't do that much for me as an upgrade.  Same sensor, but EF-S and EF compatible crop cameras. 

I have also heard (completely anecdotal) that even though the 7D has more AF points, the 60D is better at locking onto targets.  I don't recall if it is in low light or otherwise.  But that shocked me. 

The 70D rumors sound nice.

Digic 5
100% viewfinder with grid lines like 7D
19 AF Points from 7D
Continuous AF in LiveView & Video Recording
September Announcement

But that doesn't really blow me away.  If they ad bluetooth, wifi, and gps (the latter I could care less about), then I would considering it, but I'm really pleased with the performance of the 60d.

I don't like the specs of the 6D.  It's a disappointment and I'd rather get a 5Dmkii if I am going to approach spending that kind of cash. 

Actually, if I am going to spend that type of cash.  I'd consider an older 1D model.  But it is just whims of fancy at this point.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L


  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 210
    • View Profile
Re: Another what to do thread... Buy now or wait 7D, 60D successor.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »
Not sure, but wasn't there rumors of some announcements to be made in terms of gears in Photoplus in late Oct (i.e 27-28th)? I cant recall, and I could be totally wrong about the rumors though.

If you dont have any immediate shooting needs then maybe hold out till the end of October to see what's on the horizon and if those newly announced specs and their release dates aren't too tempting then maybe you could just buy now and later sell them off once the newer variants are released. I doubt the successor are going to be released anytime soon. Maybe March of 2013?


  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Another what to do thread... Buy now or wait 7D, 60D successor.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:33:30 AM »
You can expect the new 60D to come after the new 7D, which itself might not be any time soon.

In principle, waiting for a new release only makes sense if it is definitely imminent. That is not true for these 2 cameras.

Based on what you have written, the 7D is the camera for you.

However, there is plenty you haven't written: about your expertise, your willingness to immerse yourself in technicalities of operation for a complex camera, and your intended main uses for the camera, so I won't actually make a recommendation for you.

What I'm trying to say is that the 7D is actually too much camera for many people who think it is 'right' for them based on spec sheet shopping. The internet is full of 'my 7D won't focus', 'my 7D won't this', 'my 7D won't that' threads from these people.


  • Guest
Re: Another what to do thread... Buy now or wait 7D, 60D successor.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. 

I think I'm going to hold off until the end of October to early November for now.  As for situations, it's really a bit of everything including general usage, sports, landscapes, music events and even some wedding work with my DJ Entertainment company.   Video is also just as important for me.   There will definitely be a fair amount of low light usage so that's why I'm pretty firm on low noise at high ISO, obviously not great on either camera.  With the recent price drop on the 5D Mark II, I was thinking about this as an option but feel I will miss the fast AF, reach and speed.

Rumors of a new sensor have me holding on for a new release as well.  If even legit, will it really improve the noise at high ISO.  I love almost everything about the 7D and as tnargs mentioned, have no problem getting involved with a complex camera as I tend to think of myself as a technical complex type of person willing to learning the ins and outs of anything I commit to. 

I really hope if they do release a 7D Mark II that it falls somewhere on or about $1700.  By the time it gets announced I will be happy to spend that cash for a new product that hits almost all of my needs.