August 23, 2014, 08:04:02 AM

Author Topic: Wait or Bite?  (Read 6451 times)


  • Guest
Wait or Bite?
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:15:29 PM »
So I have had a Canon XT for some time now (4 years) and I'm ready to upgrade to maybe a 60D or a 7D. I have been watching the prices go up steadily for the past months and was curious when should I buy a new Canon camera?

I have 3-4 EF-S lenses and was thinking if I could save up the money, I could go for the 5D mkII yet according to the recent rumors it won't come out until next year?

I plan on buying a new Canon over the summer (before my trip to Europe) but if there is something coming out late august, I could hold on until then because my college doesn't start until mid september and I would have saved up enough until then.

What do you guys think?


  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
Given the state of Rumors, I'd bite on either the 7d (what I have) or the 60d.  It's looking like 6 months out for just the announcement of the next generation, plus manufacturing time, you'll get at least a good year out of whatever you buy today.



  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1983
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »
There has been a lot of people on these forums over the last week asking your exact same question.  The overall consensus is A) we cant guarantee or foresee price decreases any time soon given stock issues and in many cases some stores may run into shortages waiting for new inventory, and B) given the above statement, new releases are likely to be delayed until late 2011 or 2012.  If you have the money, buy it now and at the very least, rest assure with your purchase you're contributing a tad to help the economy. 

p.s.  god forbid a new camera comes out before too long, you can always throw your camera on craigslist or ebay and should make up most your money given it would be less than a year old or such... Just some food for thought.  That's what I did from my 50D to 7D... some stupid person wayyyy over paid for the camera and I paid little out of pocket for the 7D =)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:32 PM »
I recently had the same internal debate on which camera to get and I just got my 60d and I'm blown away by it.  It's obviously not as good as the 5d but I have a good collection of lenses but some of my favorites are only for crop bodies (sigma 10-20).  I upgraded from a 40d and I'm blown away by the 60d.  Not just by the video and wireless flash, but the lcd is amazing and the iso performance is way way better than i thought it'd be.  I'm using iso 3200-6400 and i'm amazed how good it looks after being run through a noise filter in photoshop.  From what I read the 60d has the same sensor as the 7d so the image quality is almost the same, it's just a matter of features and speed.  I didn't need the speed of the 7d and I'm happy with the speed of the 60d.  Some say it has a cheaper feel and I disagree.  It's not quite as "solid" as my 40d felt but I was playing with a t3i in the store the other day and the 60d feels way better than the rebel line.  My point in all this is that the 60d is still a heck of a camera and I'm impressed by it... especially upgrading from an older camera and having several years of technology to catch up with.


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »
I was looking at the prices on my local craigslist and these are the options I have. I think I'll just forget about waiting for a 5Dmk2 or a new 7D (unless I want to wait until Christmas  ::))

1. Canon EOS 5D Mark II (5 shutter clicks)
Comes with battery, canon disc, 8GB card

2. 5D Mark II (6700 actuations)

3. Canon 5D Mark I

4. Or a 60D body

Surprisingly, no used 7D postings  :'(
I am highly suspicious of the #1 but should I go with either of the 4 used ones or buy a new 7D? My photography is more landscape and portraits. Occasionally I do night photography as well as wildlife. In the future, I would like to print photos (not too big) but my current XT won't let me print any bigger than 8x11.


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
Used market is really expensive in general IMO. A new 5d is about $2700. You save about 300 to 400 dollars. Not really a bargain considering it's a used camera without warranty and you have no idea how it's been treated.

Same with lenses. The used market on EBAY, after all the bidding, you save about 15% to maybe 20%, not really worth it for a used lens when you can just spend an extra $100 or so and get it brand new.


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »

You say you have 3-4 EF-S lenses.  If this is correct you can't use them on a 5dMKII.  They are not made to use on a full frame camera.  That leaves you with either the 7D or the 60D.


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 03:45:46 PM »
I could always sell and repurchase lenses though...


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »

You could purchase new lenses to fit a 5dMkii but if you're waiting for the iii it probably won't come out before your trip.

I own the 7d and If I were planning a trip to Europe I'd rather go with a full frame camera than a crop sensor.  But I wouldn't sell the 7d to get it...I'm that happy with the 7d.


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
With either camera, you need good glass other wise the sensors will expose it.

If you have ef-0s lenses then realistically the 7D is your only option. The 5D2 doesn't take ef-s lenses so you'd need to get some ef lenses - and realistically your best bet would be with the 24-105 kit lens.

The 5D2 does take some stunning pics and givbes much better higher iso qulaity, but really - the 7D will more than do the same job if it feels good in your hand...


  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
I'd go with a 60D or 7D if you want to keep using your lenses. Me, I'm thinking of doing something crazy because of these delays. I'm considering a 70-200 of some flavor, using money I've set aside for the 5D3, and starting to save up again for the body purchase in mid-2012 (even if it comes out sooner). :D
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
If I'm going to choose between 60D and 7D for landscape then i can see that the 7D would be a waste. But I'm still seriously considering the 5D mk2. Its just a matter of whether it would be worth it.  My trip to europe got cancelled so if I have all summer free (until September) before my college starts. If i wait until then then I'm wasting all my time i could be using shooting with a new camera.  >:(

I'll be going to india over winter break so I could wait until then and just buy some LEE filters and and a nice tripod.

Still so confused :(


  • 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 521
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
7D 5D II
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 12:50:30 AM »
I have a 7D, and it takes some nice pictures. I'm not really into all of the technical stuff or processing, yet. The Canon 16 - 35 fits this camera very well for my purposes. The Tokina 11-16 is also nice. I have some nice pictures from the Grand Canyon that I never would have taken with a point & shoot.

A long time ago, I really liked taking pictures with my Eos 620.... so I know what is missing in the 7D viewfinder.

So I ordered a 5DII.

I put the 16-35 on it, and what a difference. Almost 35 on the 5D = 16 on the 7D. It means more through the viewfinder, the numbers don't convey it.

Initial impression is the 7D feels more solid.

But, if you want to take landscape pictures, you need the full frame camera.

Some of my Work in Progress.....


  • Guest
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 01:31:10 AM »
Yes I will need a full frame but my plan is to keep my XT until the end of summer I guess :]

I'm going to go ahead and purchase the filters and a nice tripod though.

Any tripod recommendations? Price range is $100-$200.


  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 400
    • View Profile
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 02:44:45 AM »
If you are serious about landscape photography, I'd suggest you go all the way on tripod and head. A good tripod combined with a good ballhead can last you years and is a worthy investment. (At least it's more of a sure bet than on the volatile and unpredictable camera market).

If you can afford it, a Gitzo tripod and either Arcaswiss or RRS ballhead.

Since there's so much in doubt over the camera release schedule and supply, I'd suggest just keep using ur XT and lens for the time being. Having the gear to take photos is the first priority; with that taken care of, I think waiting would give you more time to factor in new announcements, plan ur strategy (whether u really want to go FF, and if so, sell ur gears and replace them with EF lenses), and save up.

Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100