November 22, 2014, 08:30:05 PM

Author Topic: Wait or Bite?  (Read 6610 times)

1nsanity

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Wait or Bite?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 03:03:14 AM »
I can only second what other posters have said.

While the photograph really represent the key factor in taking beautiful pictures, getting a 5DII was the second smartest decision I have ever done for my photography. Like you I mostly take pictures of landscapes and portraits. The 5DII has significantly help me improved my photography, or maybe it has helped me love photography even more, nonetheless I have 0 buyer's remorse.

Then on my #1 best decision, the tripod! I agree with ronderick. Investing in a good tripod combo, with a good head would be a wise decision.

Last year I was faced with that decision. I had a manfrotto tripod which was great and at 300$ (including the head) it was doing an ok job. However, it was big, a bit awkward and I really wasn't enjoying the exercise of both carrying and using it.

I finally decided a worthy tripod combo was worth it. You see, I moved to New Zealand, and loving the outdoors I wanted a tripod that was light, solid and above all else that gave me the flexibility I needed for landscape photography. I bit the bullet and purchased a gitzo Series 1 tripod the 1541T and got a Markins Q3T to complement it. the combo weights in at 1.25kg. I also purchased a kirk L plate. This setup helped me improving my landscape photography and above all else made the usage of my tripod a pleasant experience. It's not cheap, the entire setup set me 1100$. Again I have no regrets.

Invest wisely in your equipement, but again as many have said, the internet is your friend, sell it, someone will always be interested.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 03:03:14 AM »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 01:21:15 AM »
Seems a bit of a waste to get rid of all your EF-S glass. I'm very happy with my 7D for most any application. My next purchase will be the X1 Brian tripod kit from 3leggedthing.com, does anything I can possibly want it to and comes with a good versatile ballhead too.
Waiting for the 5D MKIII seems like waiting for the next processor upgrade for your computer, ther's always going to be a faster, better, cheaper one just around the corner. Just go with what you need and don't wait too long, there's too many pictures waiting to be taken.  :D
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

blacktiger0802

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »
I've decided to settle on the 5D original. That way, I can build up my lens collection and when the 5Dmk3 comes out, the 5D price won't be affected by it  ;D

And for my landscape photography, I think full-frame is the way to go. Now I just need to find a good unused 5D body  ;)

But I heard one of the complaints of the 5D is that dust is an issue?

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:56:23 PM »
I've decided to settle on the 5D original. That way, I can build up my lens collection and when the 5Dmk3 comes out, the 5D price won't be affected by it  ;D

And for my landscape photography, I think full-frame is the way to go. Now I just need to find a good unused 5D body  ;)

But I heard one of the complaints of the 5D is that dust is an issue?

If you do invest in a 5D, you might want to keep an eye out for the problem with the reflector mirror coming loose. I believe a recall was issued for the 5D back in 2009.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:56:23 PM »