November 22, 2014, 05:44:44 AM

Author Topic: Who upgraded from 5d mk2 to mk3 ?  (Read 7795 times)

WhoIreland

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Who upgraded from 5d mk2 to mk3 ?
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »
Hey...

Long time lurker,first time poster.

Have had d60, 10d ,1dmk2, 5d , 5d mk2

Gear is 35L , 85Lii, 100macro, 17-40L , 70-200mk2, and just this week a 24-70L mk2
And 600ex plus stert3, 2x550ex

Anyway,to the point- I've been sitting on the fence about jumping to mk3....
Have mk3 owners here generally upgraded from a mk2 or something older?
Since I now have mk2 of 24-70 and 70-200 plus new flash I'm thinking the mk3 would compliment my gear very well

I shoot mostly family stuff with a little concert photography as a sideline
5d2 , 5d3 , eos3 , 35L , 100 2.8 macro, 24-70L II , 70-200L II , 135L, 17-40L, 600exrt

canon rumors FORUM

Who upgraded from 5d mk2 to mk3 ?
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Who upgraded from 5d mk2 to mk3 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
I did. The m3 is so much better in every way possible. Best choice
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
I've got a mate who had the 5D mk1 that he sold for the 5Dmk2 on release, which he then sold for the 5D mk3 on release.

He actually offered the mk2 to me for $1900 the week before the mk3 was released, I passed. he ended up selling it on commision and got $1850 out of it. Then he got the mk3 a few months later in Hong Kong (he lives there part time so no worries about world-wide warranty).

Good thing I didn't get the mk2 from him second hand, especially with that deal last week, 5D mk2 and Pixma 9000 for $1600 all-up or something. Damn i wish i lived in the US, i so would have nabbed that...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:38:46 PM »
I did too... upgraded from a mk II to mk III :) I prefer the mk III by far.

Philco

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
My lens kit matches yours really closely, and I definitely trust the 5DIII to nail focus in ways that I never enjoyed with the 5DII. My keeper rate is definitely higher than with the 5DII due to focus, especially in darker situations when people are moving. For shooting music, I love being able to trust that I will nail focus at f1.4, and go to ISO 3200 or 6400 without any problems. 

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »
I upgraded and I think it was worth it.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »
+1, upgraded from 5D2 to 5D3, although I still kept the 5D2.  It's a huge jump, just the difference in AF performance is worth the difference to me, but the high ISO performance and other features are great too.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 05:25:36 AM »
I upgraded, but mainly because I shoot wildlife and landscapes. My 7D can't cope in low light, while the 5D MkII could focus better in such conditions, but couldn't track and I couldn't adjust the focus point and still get a lock. The 5D MkIII gives me the best of both worlds, it can track and it can focus in low light, provided there is some sort of contrast. It is much more of an allround camera, so it would be ideal for travel when I can't take two bodies. However, if I was only shooting landscapes, I would not have bothered upgrading, as it doesn't offer enough of an improvement (although I do like the colours it produces). For family stuff, it probably depends whether or not you have fast moving children :P.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

MarioMachado

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
my mk2 was kind of new, I saw mk3 and I could not resist, I sold mk2 and got mk3 with no regrets! I do want a 1DX but cant afford now, so really happy with the 2nd best dSLR of the world :)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
1. Is anybody aware of the stronger AA filter?

2. Or the fact that raw files at high ISO are not that different - according to DPreview samples -between 5D2 and 5D3? Are all of you shooting jpgs only and are so impressed with 5D3?

In order to not be misunderstood: I am interested in 5D3 too. I am just having second thoughts ...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:38:31 PM by tron »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
I did, sent back the MK III and bought another MK II.  Then, I happened to snag a MK III for 2750 last week, so I'll keep that one.  $3500 was too much for the improvements to my type of shooting.  $2750 seems right to me.
I just sold my 2nd copy of the MK II for a $200 profit, so I'm waiting for the MK III to arrive tomorrow.  Having already had one, I know it well already, I took 1100 images before returning the first one.  The thing that annoyed me most was the small difficult to see AF points in low light.  There are workarounds, but they are klutzy.  Other than that, everything is a big plus.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »

2. Or the fact that raw files at high ISO are not that different - according to DPreview samples -between 5D2 and 5D3? Are all of you shooting jpgs only and are so impressed with 5D3?

In order to not be misunderstood: I am interested in 5D3 too. I am just having second thoughts ...

1. I've seen this mentioned before. However, I'm sure I read something from Canon saying the opposite, except, when I tried to find it again, I couldn't. Either way, I'm not noticing less sharpness.
2. I disagree. While the differences aren't huge, I can get very useable macro images with fine detail at ISO 6400 from the MkIII, something I couldn't do with the MkII. I would estimate in the region of 1 stop improvement, give or take a third of a stop.

That said, the clincher for me was the improved AF and weathersealing. Not only is it night and day for fast moving subjects (such as birds in flight), I am also getting more accurate AF in very low light. It may not be any quicker in low light, but you wouldn't be able to get fast enough shutterspeeds to freeze motion anyway, so for me, the speed of AF in low light is irrelevant.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
Yes.

UI is better, better set up, dedicated movie button, C1-C3 can auto-update, instant jump to 100% view and back, histogram is outlined so it shows up outdoors, in cam RAW processing if you need to suddenly process and send a raw to someone in the field (rare, but nice when needed), more powerful MFA, etc. (only bad thing is zooming in to view during movies is worse since the button is in a bad place and the move to SET that works wonders in stills modes seems to not work in movie mode)

AF is better, at times for some things, much so

movies are better with better SNR and no moire (but a touch soft and they left out way too many options,
although ML is bringing, but not all of them back)

fps is much better

less mirror blackout and faster trigger response

high iso shadows are less ugly, sometimes makes a huge difference, but certainly not always

SNR is 1/2 to 2/3rds of a stop better (taking into account that each ISO on it applies almost 1/3 stop more gain than the same number on the 5D2), modest but every bit helps a little

LCD is better and has more accurate colors (not THAT accurate but not the disaster of the 5D2 LCD), shows up better in the sun

build feels a bit better

while not as crippled, AutoISO is still totally crippled (ridiculous nonsense from Canon marketing dept.)

low iso DR is not improved at all  :( technically it is actually a trace worse even, the single biggest disappointment in the camera perhaps

no replaceable focusing screens  :(

MP are merely the same so no extra detail like on a D800 or reach like on an APS-C or D800

it certainly works better and is more usable, no doubt at all, much more of an overall joy to use, so it is certainly an upgrade, well worth it (unless you do only tripod-based landscapes, in which case it's not worth it in the slightest really), just a bit of a shame the low ISO is not even as good as the old 1Ds3 low ISO nevermind anything close to D600/D800 or even D4 for pixel quality and they did a few silly things like with autoiso and leaving video features absurdly bare bones and crippled (but thankfully ML already fixes some of that and will fix more so that will help a ton, but it can't fix quite all of it)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:11:24 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »

I think it's a myth. I did super careful tests with a very sharp lens comparing both and the fine detail and micro-contrast captured on a bill was so close that it's really hard to say. The talk that is looks noticeably softer, as per some rumors, or noticeably sharper, as per others, seemed like a whole lot of nothing to me. Whatever difference there is would take realllllly careful 100% viewing and staring and starting and trying to figure out which one looked what way compared to the other.

(For JPGs it is mixed though, for low ISO and super high contrast the 5D3 jpgs actually showed noticeably better crispness and detail than the 5D2 ones (all NR set to zero, neutral profile, and sharpness +4) but in areas of somewhat lesser contrast the 5D3 jpg I believe may drop detail and smear it more perhaps, didn't test that carefully yet though. 5D3 jpgs can sometimes get black dots or white haloes and stuff that the 5D2 jpgs do not though. At high iso 5D3 jpgs can be made to deliver a bit more detail with a bit less noise than 5D2 it seems. I don't really rely on jpgs more than barely at all though so didn't look into it too much.)

[/quote]

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »

I upgraded from the 5DII to a 5DIII.  Well worth it in every respect!  AF performance, FPS, customizable menus, etc...

And yes... noise.  It is a huge upgrade from the 5DII.  I will admit that at a glance the noise improvement does not appear that significant and DP Review samples indicate this.  The part that makes them very different is the quality of the noise and the detail retained at higher ISO. 

With the 5DIII the noise is a white pixel noise with very little color noise.  I find this is much easier to work with and eliminate in post processing without heavy NR.... however the big thing for me is that there is so much more detail to work with.  Edge detail really falls off on the 5DII after you get above ISO 3200 while the 5DIII just holds on right up through 12,800.  Even after reducing noise on high ISO shots with a 5DIII the details are amazing.

Without reservation... it is well worth the $$$.  (I even sold my 1DIV to pick up another 5DIII !)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »