November 24, 2014, 08:05:13 PM

Author Topic: Who upgraded from 5d mk2 to mk3 ?  (Read 7806 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Who upgraded from 5d mk2 to mk3 ?
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »
1. Is anybody aware of the stronger AA filter?

I think it's a myth. I did super careful tests with a very sharp lens comparing both and the fine detail and micro-contrast captured on a bill was so close that it's really hard to say. The talk that is looks noticeably softer, as per some rumors, or noticeably sharper, as per others, seemed like a whole lot of nothing to me. Whatever difference there is would take realllllly careful 100% viewing and staring and starting and trying to figure out which one looked what way compared to the other.

I have based this conclusion from 2 facts:

Stills: Camera raw products showed the 5D3 to be less sharp than 5D2. Only when the DPP was updated sharpness became equal! So it seems that DPP boosts the sharpening for 5D3 somehow

Video:
http://tweets.planet5d.com/tweets/195145027335356416

After 9:15 It is admitted that 5D3 video is not very sharp to preserve information but it can be nicely
sharpened in Post Processing. Combining this with the  fact that Moire is mentioned to be absent then a strong AA filter is the logical conclusion

I think the initial DPP was just bugged and was applying strong anti-moire tech at times when there should have been an option to turn it off.

Isn't that video discussing video moire? THat's a different thing. The 5D2 and the others did line skipping which introduces radical moire and aliasing. The 5D3 doesn't line skip and it also seems to filter things on top so the video doesn't have more than a bare hint of the nasty moire and such. But that is nothing to do with stills.
DPP could not be bugged. It had similar results to Adobe software! Both produced less sharp 5D3 raw images

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »
Tron.

Interesting.

Both of my 5DIII bodies produce cleaner, crisper, sharper images then my 5DII.  I wonder if your 5DIII copy had a problem or my 5DII body had a problem.

Both 5DIII bodies are also much better IQ then my 1DIV and my 7D.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »
Tron.

Interesting.

Both of my 5DIII bodies produce cleaner, crisper, sharper images then my 5DII.  I wonder if your 5DIII copy had a problem or my 5DII body had a problem.

Both 5DIII bodies are also much better IQ then my 1DIV and my 7D.
This is good news actually!

However: Many people say general things without mentioning the details. You, for example:

1. Are you comparing raw files? You didn't mention Raw of Jpg.
2.  What software are you using?

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
Tron,

I shoot Raw.  Convert to DNG and then process with Photoshop CS5 and/or Lightroom 4.

My comments refer to then entire ISO Range.

Lenses I have noticed my statements to hold true: 24-105mm f4, 17-40mm f4, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 70-200mm f4, 300mm f2.8, 600mm f4

Mounted on a Gitzo Systematic Carbon Tribod with WH200 Wimberley Head.

Anything else you curious about?

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »
Tron,

I shoot Raw.  Convert to DNG and then process with Photoshop CS5 and/or Lightroom 4.

Lenses I have noticed my statements to hold true: 24-105mm f4, 17-40mm f4, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 70-200mm f4, 300mm f2.8, 600mm f4

Thanks for answering  :)

Keep in mind that Lightroom 4 was reported for not producing ultra sharp 5D3 images!
I didn't make it up I read it in THIS forum (Sometime in April or May I think). You are doing something very interesting though. You convert to DNG first. That's another step and maybe a good one as it seems. Thanks again...

P.S I do not believe that there are problems with bodies. At least not often. They are not lenses. I have a fine 5DII and I try to gather as much info as possible about 5DMKIII. I am thinking of bying it and this thread is definitely a suitable one for this purpose.

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »
Tron,

Thanks for answering  :)

Keep in mind that Lightroom 4 was reported for not producing ultra sharp 5D3 images!
I didn't make it up I read it in THIS forum (Sometime in April or May I think). You are doing something very interesting though. You convert to DNG first. That's another step and maybe a good one as it seems. Thanks again...

P.S I do not believe that there are problems with bodies. At least not often. They are not lenses. I have a fine 5DII and I try to gather as much info as possible about 5DMKIII. I am thinking of bying it and this thread is definitely a suitable one for this purpose.

You bet. 

I tend to agree with you about body issues being rare, however I have personally known of 4 bodies from both Nikon and Canon that had a shutter issue.  Apparently a shutter can become loose and will cause a slight amount of vibration which can result in sharpness issues.  All of these bodies were repaired by the manufacturer at no charge.  A system such as FoCal can show these issues if you compare IQ from two bodies that are the same model and use the same lens.

Mainly I convert to DNG so that I will always have access to my RAW files in the future.  Support for old bodies in current editing software is starting to wane, and by converting to DNG you will always be able to edit your old files with future editing programs.

Naturally there are some people who feel that the 5DIII is not worth the upgrade, and I completely respect that opinion.  For me... It's worth 10 times the cost.  The 5DIII is the best camera I have ever had the pleasure of shooting with.  (I have not shot a 1DX)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »
DPP could not be bugged. It had similar results to Adobe software! Both produced less sharp 5D3 raw images

I know Canon even said DPP had a bug, whether that explained it all, I don't know.

Are you sure about ACR. I don't recall that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »

I know Canon even said DPP had a bug, whether that explained it all, I don't know.

Are you sure about ACR. I don't recall that.
I seem to remember seeing reports of issues with the ACR beta. It certainly wouldn't be the first issues with new Canon (and probably other) cameras on the first one or two updates after support was initiated, as there were issues with the last version of LR2 that was introduced immediately following release of the 7D. LR3 largely corrected the issues.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »