December 22, 2014, 07:26:12 PM

Author Topic: Photozone's review of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is up  (Read 16710 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Photozone's review of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is up
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Klauss isn't overly impressed for the price:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/773-canon2470f28mk2ff

canon rumors FORUM

Photozone's review of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is up
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Re: Photozone's review of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is up
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »
For that price everyone would expect better TBH

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »

Ha! The Onion Rings!

I've read a lot of bashing against the poor cheap Tamron in this forum for that very reason. I would lilke to know what those people have to say now.

Anyway, quoting the review:

The question of the day is, of course, whether this is "enough" compared to the impressive Tamron AF SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di USD VC ? Well, we have some doubts here. We'd say that among the primary criteria the Canon lens has an edge in terms of contrast (at max. aperture), build quality and it has a slightly better bokeh. However, the Tamron lens is as good in the lower zoom range and provides a much better border quality at 70mm. Additionally it has a unique selling point - an image stabilizer. So unless you're heading into a war zone (thus requiring max. equipment quality) a premium of one grand (EUR) over the Tamron lens seems a little excessive.

I can only agree, and I add that it's actually utterly ridiculous.

They improved the build quality to a decency level but it's hard to praise Canon for that. They should be ashamed for the QC issues of the previous version, considering the price tag and the pro user target.

Looking at those graph it's hard to justify the hype for its sharpness either, and the bokeh is probably a tad worse than the previous version.

And the price? I would never pay more than twice as much as for the Tamron, which also has VC. By the way Tamron also offers 6 years of warranty and an excellent service. It's pure value.

Nyc2dc

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
I was really expecting/hoping for a 70-200 ii performance on this lens. What kills me is that with regard to my personal experience photozone have always been dead on with their reviews. :-[
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:39:22 PM by Nyc2dc »
5D3 | 14L II | 35L | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 40

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
I'm somewhat glad that the previous super hype surrounding the 24-70 II isn't really justified.  If it did turn out to be as super as rumored, I would likely have swallowed the ludicrous $2300 price, which I really shouldn't.

It is very good zoom lens with "an almost surprising drop in border quality at 70mm with resolution figures that are inferior compared to the old version of the lens." (Photozone)

"However, the Tamron lens is as good in the lower zoom range and provides a much better border quality at 70mm. Additionally it has a unique selling point - an image stabilizer." 

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »

Ha! The Onion Rings!

I've read a lot of bashing against the poor cheap Tamron in this forum for that very reason. I would lilke to know what those people have to say now.

Anyway, quoting the review:

The question of the day is, of course, whether this is "enough" compared to the impressive Tamron AF SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di USD VC ? Well, we have some doubts here. We'd say that among the primary criteria the Canon lens has an edge in terms of contrast (at max. aperture), build quality and it has a slightly better bokeh. However, the Tamron lens is as good in the lower zoom range and provides a much better border quality at 70mm. Additionally it has a unique selling point - an image stabilizer. So unless you're heading into a war zone (thus requiring max. equipment quality) a premium of one grand (EUR) over the Tamron lens seems a little excessive.

I can only agree, and I add that it's actually utterly ridiculous.

They improved the build quality to a decency level but it's hard to praise Canon for that. They should be ashamed for the QC issues of the previous version, considering the price tag and the pro user target.

Looking at those graph it's hard to justify the hype for its sharpness either, and the bokeh is probably a tad worse than the previous version.

And the price? I would never pay more than twice as much as for the Tamron, which also has VC. By the way Tamron also offers 6 years of warranty and an excellent service. It's pure value.

Yup. I've had my SP 24-70mm f/2.8 for four months now and couldn't be happier. While I never seriously considered the new ef 24-70 II due to price and lack of IS (I don't make no money from this), the whole "onion bokeh" hysteria cracked me up (non issue). To see the new Canon also has it (still non issue for me) makes me chuckle. Having a six year warranty in case my front element comes loose makes me laugh out loud...

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
personally, my biggest gripe with the Tamron is the reverse zooming/focusing, and what looks like a weird focus/zoom layout. but, i've had to dig deep to learn much of it. is the focus ring in the back? is it tiny? does it go the wrong(opposite canon) way?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
I thought I'd never had to say this, but we should also reconsider the 2.5 times cheaper Sigma version.

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »
personally, my biggest gripe with the Tamron is the reverse zooming/focusing, and what looks like a weird focus/zoom layout. but, i've had to dig deep to learn much of it. is the focus ring in the back? is it tiny? does it go the wrong(opposite canon) way?

Yes. The zoom is large, smooth and in front. It turns opposite to the Cannon. The focus ring is small, but right behind the zoom ring, making it quicker for me to adjust on the fly. Familiarity with the equipment is all that is required. Some folks don't care for the push/pull zoom on the 100-400L, but I am quite fond of it. Plus, if I'm on a boat that is sinking, I can pump out water with it :)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
I'm starting to worry about sample variation, because Lensrentals seem to have got a much better batch than the one that Photozone reviewed:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/canon-24-70-f2-8-ii-resolution-tests

Also, Bryan Carnathan has experience variation between the three that he has purchased:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/ [see Friday 21st September 2012]

The Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC looks like a great alternative, until you see pictures like this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/tamron-24-70-f2-8-vc-issue  :-[  :-[  :-[

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »
This is where the 6 (7 in EU) years warranty comes in handy :)

g3act

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
Interesting to see how the Photozone resolution figures are very different to those posted by Roger at Lensrentals.com.

According to Roger, the Canon is 30% better than the Tamron at 70mm, but Photozone show it to be worse  :-\

I own the Tamron and have found it to be very good indeed.  The AF can be a bit hit and miss in poor light, but generally the results I get from it are superb.  I could never afford the new Canon 24-70 anyway, but at least the red ring envy won't exist for the 24-70 after this latest review.

WRT to onion bokeh, I did have a little chuckle after reading all the Tamron bashing earlier this year.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
Klaus is a tough grader and tells it like it is.  I like his reviews!
However, Lens Rentals has the advantage of having several lenses to test, and Roger showed us what a average lens could do.  Testing one or two lenses is a tough proposition, since sample variation is a real thing. A tested can only look for obvious defects and if there are none, then the lens should be typical--- except that it isn't.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Interesting to see how the Photozone resolution figures are very different to those posted by Roger at Lensrentals.com.

I suspect that all manufacturers have major quality issues with the new lenses due to very low tolerances acceptable. Maybe Zeiss can come up with high enough quality standards but Zeiss also has a high enoug price for that. I guess it's up to the user to put each lens through a test and send back the broken ones (which will be delivered to other customers).

Canon should make a LT-line with the T meaning that it's really quality tested and up to the standards advertised.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Klaus is a tough grader and tells it like it is.  I like his reviews!
However, Lens Rentals has the advantage of having several lenses to test, and Roger showed us what a average lens could do.  Testing one or two lenses is a tough proposition, since sample variation is a real thing. A tested can only look for obvious defects and if there are none, then the lens should be typical--- except that it isn't.

Honestly, I think that when you pay 2150€ for a pro-grade lens sample variation should be minimal and barely noticeable, while in this case they seem worlds apart. It's just unacceptable, it can't be a lottery. Not for this price. This lens is 25% to 350% more expensive than any Zeiss lens.

I've seen 3rd party manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron and Tokina bashed here for much much less and for 400€ priced lenses. At least let's all be objective about the epic fail that it is - for one reason or another.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »