October 24, 2014, 09:42:01 AM

Author Topic: canon extender vs others, what to get?  (Read 776 times)

Basti187

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
canon extender vs others, what to get?
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »
Hey guys,

I m getting a 5dm3 at some point next month (upgrade from my 550d) i currently use a 100-400mm L and will prob get the kit lens with the 5d. Now that upgrade to FF i'll loose some length and was looking into adding an extender to my gear. (cost effective)

I earn money with making videos, but I love to take photos of wildlife, now I've been looking at some extenders, the Canon 1.4 III seemed to be my first choice, but I read it had AF  problems on f/8, also I don't really know much about extenders and what others options to consider.

Any suggestions please?

canon rumors FORUM

canon extender vs others, what to get?
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: canon extender vs others, what to get?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
Hey guys,

I m getting a 5dm3 at some point next month (upgrade from my 550d) i currently use a 100-400mm L and will prob get the kit lens with the 5d. Now that upgrade to FF i'll loose some length and was looking into adding an extender to my gear. (cost effective)

I earn money with making videos, but I love to take photos of wildlife, now I've been looking at some extenders, the Canon 1.4 III seemed to be my first choice, but I read it had AF  problems on f/8, also I don't really know much about extenders and what others options to consider.

Any suggestions please?
1.  The Canon 5D MK III does not autofocus while taking video, so AF with a extender is a moot point.  If you want AF while taking Video, check out the T4i.  Its not fast AF during video, but it does work.
2. FYI, except for 1 series bodies thru the 1D Mark IV, no bodies AF at f/8. and with Canon extenders, the camera recognizes the f/8 equivalent and will not even try to autofocus.
3.  Sometimes a lens will AF using live autofocus with a TC and taped pins (non reporting TC).

Now, before anyone jumps in, I will say that many have reported that the latest Kenko 1.4X extender does AF at f/8 when used with a 1D X, and some have had success using it with the 5D Mark III and certain lenses.
I tried using my 100-400mmL on my 5D MK III with pins taped and it did not work, but the Kenko seems to actually help out.
Your best option is to get or rent a 600mm f/4, but many of us can't afford it much handle the weight.
So, buy a Kenko TC at a place where it can easily be returned if it does not work out.

Basti187

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
Thanks for your answer, well I think you misunderstood me, I obviously don't use AF for video, haha :)
It is only for photography, but I'll look at that kenko TC! Thanks

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
Thanks for your answer, well I think you misunderstood me, I obviously don't use AF for video, haha :)
It is only for photography, but I'll look at that kenko TC! Thanks
Yes, I misunderstood, since you asked about the extender part in with your video use.
At any rate, the Kenko seems the only possibility and I'm considering buying one as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »