July 31, 2014, 01:57:46 AM

Author Topic: 46.1mp Canon DSLR Previewed at PhotoPlus 2012? [CR1]  (Read 59803 times)

thexfile

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 46.1mp Canon DSLR Previewed at PhotoPlus 2012? [CR1]
« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »
Yep the mega pixel camera is just around the corner. Tomorrow in fact!

They built it specifically for the new lens cap. LOL.

Gotta love Canon, they've got their priorities right.

Take one look at ebay, craigslist, gumtree or most classified ads.
What cameras are being sold? Canons and Canon lenses. I wonder why? Nikon started something.

Never been a better time to buy Canon gear secondhand.
Just like Paul Revere..."The Megapixels are coming!"  ;D 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2012, 04:32:54 AM »
Yep the mega pixel camera is just around the corner. Tomorrow in fact!

They built it specifically for the new lens cap. LOL.

Gotta love Canon, they've got their priorities right.

Take one look at ebay, craigslist, gumtree or most classified ads.
What cameras are being sold? Canons and Canon lenses. I wonder why? Nikon started something.

Never been a better time to buy Canon gear secondhand.
Just like Paul Revere..."The Megapixels are coming!"  ;D
But when? You should be posting this message just as the shipments are nearing the port... ;)

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
When Nikon had a 12 megapixel flagship they tried to convince us that is all low light shooters should need, now we have a d800 which is a very very specific camera and the world is convinced we need megapixels on a level that would require special lenses perfect technique, tripods and a computer more expensive than our gear to process and store all those insanly huge images. In my humble opinion 21 megapixels is a pretty sweet spot for dslr.

jukka

« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »
I love to have 225Mp , no AA-filter and chose the files size  out via pixel binning down to 14Mp

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
I love to have 225Mp , no AA-filter and chose the files size  out via pixel binning down to 14Mp
I hope you are young so as to live to see and enjoy that  :)

It is not as if they can't because I believe that if they wanted to they could achieve that in reasonable time.

I believe they postpone progress as much as they can to milk as much money as possible (Just my opinion, I cannot have proof of course).

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
I believe they postpone progress as much as they can to milk as much money as possible (Just my opinion, I cannot have proof of course).

Mmmh, I don't think milking customers to hold back on technology is such a big issue here. In other industries I see this as a valid strategy, but not in our current camera market. There is just not enough pressure on R&D to make bigger leaps. That's all.

We can thank Canon, Sony and Nikon for their competition, because this is what primarily drives this market forward. It would actually be dreadful for Canon or one of the others to provide a camera, which is so good, that nobody would want to upgrade in the next decades. Just look at Leica as an example on how to do things wrong.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

Mmmh, I don't think milking customers to hold back on technology is such a big issue here. In other industries I see this as a valid strategy, but not in our current camera market. There is just not enough pressure on R&D to make bigger leaps. That's all.

We can thank Canon, Sony and Nikon for their competition, because this is what primarily drives this market forward. It would actually be dreadful for Canon or one of the others to provide a camera, which is so good, that nobody would want to upgrade in the next decades. Just look at Leica as an example on how to do things wrong.
I am not sure. Leica needs better sensor too...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2012, 04:48:15 AM »

Actually my point with Leica was not the sensor, but falling behind in camera sales due to ignoring the competition at a time, when the company felt technologically superior. This happened at the time of the Leica M3, when Nikon came out with the Nikon F and Canon also began producing SLR cameras. Leica was so late to the SLR market that they never gained significant market share.

My point is that if a company has little or only partial market share, then it will thrive to gain market share, no matter how. This will likely bring out the best, but this won't happen in case a company is too self-satisfied.

jukka

« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
Leica has a new CMOS sensor developed in Europe by CMOSIS.

Leica's profitability is good  (what I understand) , they sell everything they produce in terms of cameras, lenses and medical equipment

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »
Leica's profitability is good  (what I understand)

Yes, it is, AFAIK.  They are actually owned by Danaher, a conglomerate that is in the business of buying other companies, and divesting them if they become unprofitable.   
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AdamJ

« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2012, 12:02:58 PM »
Leica's profitability is good  (what I understand)

Yes, it is, AFAIK.  They are actually owned by Danaher, a conglomerate that is in the business of buying other companies, and divesting them if they become unprofitable.

Leica Microsystems is a sub of Danaher and the Leica brand owner, but Leica Camera is a separate company. I thought I'd clarify this before Mikael picks up on it.

Edit: Did I say Mikael? I keep doing that! Sorry, I meant jukka.  ;)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »

Actually my point with Leica was not the sensor, but falling behind in camera sales due to ignoring the competition at a time, when the company felt technologically superior. This happened at the time of the Leica M3, when Nikon came out with the Nikon F and Canon also began producing SLR cameras. Leica was so late to the SLR market that they never gained significant market share.

My point is that if a company has little or only partial market share, then it will thrive to gain market share, no matter how. This will likely bring out the best, but this won't happen in case a company is too self-satisfied.

Ah, Leica.... The Nakamichi of the Camera World.  :P
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »
Leica Microsystems is a sub of Danaher and the Leica brand owner, but Leica Camera is a separate company.

Interesting, and thanks.  Looks like Leica Camera split off from the Leica Group before Danaher entered the picture.  I remember using Leitz microscopes many years ago, before they became Leica (= Leitz Camera).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 16, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
K-amps:

Ah, Leica.... The Nakamichi of the Camera World.  :P
[/quote]

Jeez dude, this is a camera forum!  ;) How many of the folks here would know a Dragon if it bit them on the ass? Hey, now there's a competition! Does any contributor own a 1DX, a Leica, a Nakamichi Dragon and, say, drive an original Merc gullwing? If they do, the prize is to buy everyone else a new lens  ;D.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 16, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »

Jeez dude, this is a camera forum!  ;) How many of the folks here would know a Dragon if it bit them on the ass? Hey, now there's a competition! Does any contributor own a 1DX, a Leica, a Nakamichi Dragon and, say, drive an original Merc gullwing? If they do, the prize is to buy everyone else a new lens  ;D.

Haha... you know what.... I started looking up Nak's on Feebay right after I made that post... some nice juicy PA-7's were just sold..... needed a fix.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: November 16, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »