October 23, 2014, 11:36:15 AM

Author Topic: 46.1mp Canon DSLR Previewed at PhotoPlus 2012? [CR1]  (Read 62491 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 46.1mp Canon DSLR Previewed at PhotoPlus 2012? [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
CFast is not backward compatible with CF.
Huh? What's the use then?

It's use is to make you confuse it with vanilla cf, giving the format an advantage over competitors - seems to work :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »
Hi ya people :)

Look, let's get down to the nitty gritty. I work for a camera retailer and I can guarantee you that since April the D800 has outsold the 5D Mk3 by a 5 to 1 ratio. This explains recent price drops on the body and the deal struck with the Adorama ebay site.

Sure, the camera has sold okay, but not in huge quantities like the previous Mk2. I'm pretty sure that Canon has lots of stock sitting in warehouses, just as sure as they would deny this. Sales have just picked up a little recently because of the 5D Mk3 Professional Kit with the 24-70 MkII.

Look, Canon gave us what we asked for and then we snubbed them; decided we wanted everything that we said we didn't need.

The 46mp sensor has been rumoured to have been around for at least two years. Canon obviously held back believing people would definitely be happy with a 22mp, better iso camera. We proved Canon wrong. Look, I believe even a few more megapixels, 28mp, would have kept people happy.

Canon needs to bring out the 46mp ASAP. Nikon is 'killing' them at the moment. It can't be a 1 D body. If they want lots of sales they need a 5D body, 5D X, or whatever they want to call it. It needs to be reasonably priced, just above the D800, $500 or so above it. This will bring in the crowds.

Or, they could completely stuff it up. Make it a 1 D type body that is super expensive and that 4,000 or 5,000 might buy worldwide. WAKE UP CANON !!! :)

Before I am torn to shreds, I'll  let the wonderful readers of this forum know that I still have my 5D Mk2 and recently bought a 5D Mk3 which I am very happy with.

I, however, like all of you, would like Canon to continue doing well into the future, and the reality is that they have dropped the ball in recent years. The 5D Mk2 was a game changer; come on Canon bring out the 46mp out that blows both Nikon and Sony out of the water.

Look this is my two cents worth, my reality check for Canon. Take it as you will.

Signing Out...

Baloney.  Nikon isn't selling anything at 5:1 globally over Canon, maybe in some small market store that is Nikon focused but go to B&H (world's largest retailer on and offline) any day. and the crowd around the Canon pit is always 2-4x the size of the crowd in the Nikon pit...and that's before, during, and after the 5DIII launched.  I'm there at least once or twice per week.  How is it you work in a camera store and are still fixated by MP?  Nikon killing Canon?  Huh, read the Nikon fan boys rants about their own performance issues.  All the spec sheet talk about the D600 vs 6D...and then it is confirmed by Nikon at Photokina two days ago (to Philip Bloom ) that the D600 doesn't even allow manual settings in video...I mean, really?  Killing Canon?  Canon has manual video in the Rebel series.  There is a reason some cameras have gone backwards in MP in many cases both pro and consumer, see the recent G series and Powershot series over the past few years and 1Dx. 

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »

Look, let's get down to the nitty gritty. I work for a camera retailer and I can guarantee you that since April the D800 has outsold the 5D Mk3 by a 5 to 1 ratio. This explains recent price drops on the body and the deal struck with the Adorama ebay site.

Sure, the camera has sold okay, but not in huge quantities like the previous Mk2. I'm pretty sure that Canon has lots of stock sitting in warehouses, just as sure as they would deny this. Sales have just picked up a little recently because of the 5D Mk3 Professional Kit with the 24-70 MkII.

Look, Canon gave us what we asked for and then we snubbed them; decided we wanted everything that we said we didn't need.

The 46mp sensor has been rumoured to have been around for at least two years. Canon obviously held back believing people would definitely be happy with a 22mp, better iso camera. We proved Canon wrong. Look, I believe even a few more megapixels, 28mp, would have kept people happy.

Canon needs to bring out the 46mp ASAP. Nikon is 'killing' them at the moment. It can't be a 1 D body. If they want lots of sales they need a 5D body, 5D X, or whatever they want to call it. It needs to be reasonably priced, just above the D800, $500 or so above it. This will bring in the crowds.

Or, they could completely stuff it up. Make it a 1 D type body that is super expensive and that 4,000 or 5,000 might buy worldwide. WAKE UP CANON !!! :)

Before I am torn to shreds, I'll  let the wonderful readers of this forum know that I still have my 5D Mk2 and recently bought a 5D Mk3 which I am very happy with.

I, however, like all of you, would like Canon to continue doing well into the future, and the reality is that they have dropped the ball in recent years. The 5D Mk2 was a game changer; come on Canon bring out the 46mp out that blows both Nikon and Sony out of the water.

Look this is my two cents worth, my reality check for Canon. Take it as you will.

Signing Out...

Baloney.  Nikon isn't selling anything at 5:1 globally over Canon, maybe in some small market store that is Nikon focused but go to B&H (world's largest retailer on and offline) any day. and the crowd around the Canon pit is always 2-4x the size of the crowd in the Nikon pit...and that's before, during, and after the 5DIII launched.  I'm there at least once or twice per week.  How is it you work in a camera store and are still fixated by MP?  Nikon killing Canon?  Huh, read the Nikon fan boys rants about their own performance issues.  All the spec sheet talk about the D600 vs 6D...and then it is confirmed by Nikon at Photokina two days ago (to Philip Bloom ) that the D600 doesn't even allow manual settings in video...I mean, really?  Killing Canon?  Canon has manual video in the Rebel series.  There is a reason some cameras have gone backwards in MP in many cases both pro and consumer, see the recent G series and Powershot series over the past few years and 1Dx.

Seriously, no manual video controls for the D600? The uncompressed video feed was very tempting, but no control relieves me, now the D600 is just an overpriced D7000 that has an FX sensor thrown in :)
Though, the rebels, at least the first few didn't have much video manual control as well anyways, you can adjust the exposure compensation at least... though, Canon has Magic Lantern, and now that the 7D has been hacked~
Although, Canon hasn't evolved with it's DSLR video much past the MKII, they decided to go all out with the C series and now Sony, Nikon (at least not the D600) and M4/3 cams are better equipped and capable.

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »
$$$$$8000 in Canon's NEW overpriced world. No thanks.

Did you make that up yourself? Or did you copy it off another moron from another thread? Canon's pricing hasn't changed much. Newbies who came in recently who thought the 24-70 was supposed to be priced just above 1000$ probably didn't experience it's release price of 2100$. And now they cry over the mark II version. So let's talk about cameras. Let's go back a bit to the days where the cost of producing a professional level photograph cost more than your mortgage for a typical 3 bedroom house. Okay, now let's look at more recent models. The 1Ds mark III, and the 5D mark III. Which would you rather shoot now? Would you pay double the price for half the performance? Or are we paying half the price now for (obviously) more than double the performance AND the flexibility? The 7D, and any XXD series camera. At launch pricing. I thought so. The pricing game hasn't changed as much as you think, we just have more players in the mix now.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Jumbuck

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »
Hey people, back again :) :) :)

Look, I am not a serial poster, so this will be a kind of last post on this issue.

I stress once more, I am a Canon owner (5Dmk2, 7D, 5Dmk3) and fanboy. What I have posted previously is for the love of Canon. I would neveeeer consider buying a Nikon. Their lenses clip on anti-clockwise, for goodness sake! Plus, I'm too invested in Canon.

Points well taken from other posters (???!). Yes, look this may be occurring in my country, my state, my city only, it may not be a worldwide phenomenon. I won't tell you where I'm from, obviously an 'English speaking' country, for fear of repercussions from Canon.

Let me clarify things. My store sells to consumers primarily, not professionals. This would obviously have to be advanced amateurs, or prosumers as they are sometimes known. I have nothing to gain from quoting the 5:1 ratio statistic. In fact I will add that this ratio would have been 6:1 if Nikon had been able to fulfill D800E orders. However, they have failed miserably in this and orders are getting cancelled left, right and center.

Now, I have good friends at other stores that tend to sell more cameras to professionals. Even there, the D800 is outselling the 5Dmk3, but not at the same ratio as my store. On the other hand, the 1Dx is outselling the D4. So, most professionals are impressed by Canon's new offering.

Getting back to the prosumers... Canon and Nikon will always sell their wares to their dedicated bands of professionals. This is a limited market, however, and it is not growing exponentially. In the last six months the camera business has shifted. Yes, we have noticed it! Cheap compacts are out (too many good quality smart phone cameras out there), whilst high end compact (ala Sony RX100), Mirrorless Cameras (ala Olympus OM-D) and "really expensive" high end DSLRs are doing a roaring trade. Yes, we are selling more of these than ever. To whom? To average Joe Blows with disposable income.

Canon and Nikon are not fighting 'the world domination war' to gain more professional users, but to convince average Joe Blows that they are the best. At the moment, Nikon has done this best with the Nikon D800. They have convinced the masses that this is what they must desire, this is what they must have. Remember, the war will be won by recruiting these masses; the pros are, generally, there for the long haul.

I posted what I posted because 'I' want Canon to win !!!

P.S. To those who wear blinkers and can only retort with nastiness: I discuss my customer's needs with them and explain to them that unless they are printing their photos to A3, A2 size, etc,  megapixels are of no consequence. Believe it or not more than 80% of consumers will never print a photo. Viewing them on an smartphone, tablet, computer (flickr, facebook, etc) and TV is what they do; and we all know you don't need tens of megapixels for that.

Selling lots of cameras is about marketing through the creation of desire... and 46mp, whether we like it or not, creates a lot of desire. Those who are purists among us, supporters of less megapixels for less noise, are just going to have to take this on the chin. Canon is a business! They need to find their 'vision' again and move forward to once again dominate the world of DSLRs.

P.S. At our store we tend to sell more Canons than Nikons. We give equal billing to Canon, Sony, and Nikon. No Pentax, sorry! In fact, Canon, is in the best spot, seen first by customers when they enter. We have never had a D800 'in stock' as such, as months later we are still fulfilling backorders. The 5Dmk3 has always been in stock. In fact, after the initial rush, we still have a good number of bodies just sitting there. They are not selling because customers believe they are too expensive.

I am not posting to create controversy, as I tried to indicate earlier, but to give Canon a 'kickstarter' up the arse.

Phew...I'm exhausted.

Bye...for good...for now !!! :) :) :)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:13:41 AM by Jumbuck »

NotABunny

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
16 bit? I'm guessing this is going to be the most expensive EOS body. 1DXs?

well i take pictures with a dslr for 7 years now.
95% of my pictures are taken with ISO under 6400.

i really don´t know what people need ISO 25600 and above.

and i wonder how these people have worked before.....

Search for Jeff Ascough's website and see yourself if these people have worked in this field. Photography requires light, not light from flashes, you know?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:22:45 PM by NotABunny »

contrastny

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
If true, could this 46.1 sensor be a larger sensor size that allows you to switch between a 2x3, 1x1 formats?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
Should I sell my 1dx??

Very confused: 18mpx for $7000.00
46mpx for HOW MUCH?

Paul

I bet that your 1DX will produce superior image quality at ISO 1600 and above.  Significantly superior.  But a 46mp at 5fps camera is really not geared for the same audience as an 18mp camera with 14fps...

It sure would be great to have one of each!  8)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
It sure would be great to have one of each!  8)

I'm sure Canon will grant your wish and never produce a "one does it all" camera even if they cold - what's better than a customer buying one camera? Buying two :-)!

paulrossjones

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
I hope this rumor is true and canon has a high MP offering very soon. I need more megapixels as my clients crop my shots heavily and I want to retire my slow and painful contax p65+. Im sure a 46mp canon may not quite be as good quality than my phase back- but I'm most situations a camera with these specs will make the phase one redundant.

I think I would like the 46mp camera to be in a 1dx type body, and happy to pay a good price for it. If you use a camera professionally then the gear will be paid off in a matter of months. Camera gear is far cheaper than it ever has been. I paid 15k for my original 1ds, and one job paid the camera off.

paul

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:19:39 PM by paulrossjones »

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »

Signing Out...

Seriously, no manual video controls for the D600? The uncompressed video feed was very tempting, but no control relieves me, now the D600 is just an overpriced D7000 that has an FX sensor thrown in :)
Though, the rebels, at least the first few didn't have much video manual control as well anyways, you can adjust the exposure compensation at least... though, Canon has Magic Lantern, and now that the 7D has been hacked~
Although, Canon hasn't evolved with it's DSLR video much past the MKII, they decided to go all out with the C series and now Sony, Nikon (at least not the D600) and M4/3 cams are better equipped and capable.

Yep, serious.  He posted about it after talking with Nikon Friday.  ...and there were some other points about the framing in the Nikon LCD view being atrocious and other nuances.  You're right with respect to video improvements on DSLRs.  There won't be much more groundbreaking stuff in DSLR format, it's going to the C100/300/500 now... which it should... the form factor can only support so much (XLRs, monitors, cage etc), the C100 is a good buy given it has the integrated accessories you'd pay another $2K+ for... no need for audio, monitors, battery pack, matte box, NDs, etc..  Those looking for more from video will be looking more toward something like the C series or competitor...and those prices will come down too, especially on the C300 now that the 500 is official.

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
Hey people, back again :) :) :)

Look, I am not a serial poster, so this will be a kind of last post on this issue.

I stress once more, I am a Canon owner (5Dmk2, 7D, 5Dmk3) and fanboy. What I have posted previously is for the love of Canon. I would neveeeer consider buying a Nikon. Their lenses clip on anti-clockwise, for goodness sake! Plus, I'm too invested in Canon.

Points well taken from other posters (???!). Yes, look this may be occurring in my country, my state, my city only, it may not be a worldwide phenomenon. I won't tell you where I'm from, obviously an 'English speaking' country, for fear of repercussions from Canon.

Let me clarify things. My store sells to consumers primarily, not professionals. This would obviously have to be advanced amateurs, or prosumers as they are sometimes known. I have nothing to gain from quoting the 5:1 ratio statistic. In fact I will add that this ratio would have been 6:1 if Nikon had been able to fulfill D800E orders. However, they have failed miserably in this and orders are getting cancelled left, right and center.

Now, I have good friends at other stores that tend to sell more cameras to professionals. Even there, the D800 is outselling the 5Dmk3, but not at the same ratio as my store. On the other hand, the 1Dx is outselling the D4. So, most professionals are impressed by Canon's new offering.

Getting back to the prosumers... Canon and Nikon will always sell their wares to their dedicated bands of professionals. This is a limited market, however, and it is not growing exponentially. In the last six months the camera business has shifted. Yes, we have noticed it! Cheap compacts are out (too many good quality smart phone cameras out there), whilst high end compact (ala Sony RX100), Mirrorless Cameras (ala Olympus OM-D) and "really expensive" high end DSLRs are doing a roaring trade. Yes, we are selling more of these than ever. To whom? To average Joe Blows with disposable income.

Canon and Nikon are not fighting 'the world domination war' to gain more professional users, but to convince average Joe Blows that they are the best. At the moment, Nikon has done this best with the Nikon D800. They have convinced the masses that this is what they must desire, this is what they must have. Remember, the war will be won by recruiting these masses; the pros are, generally, there for the long haul.

I posted what I posted because 'I' want Canon to win !!!

P.S. To those who wear blinkers and can only retort with nastiness: I discuss my customer's needs with them and explain to them that unless they are printing their photos to A3, A2 size, etc,  megapixels are of no consequence. Believe it or not more than 80% of consumers will never print a photo. Viewing them on an smartphone, tablet, computer (flickr, facebook, etc) and TV is what they do; and we all know you don't need tens of megapixels for that.

Selling lots of cameras is about marketing through the creation of desire... and 46mp, whether we like it or not, creates a lot of desire. Those who are purists among us, supporters of less megapixels for less noise, are just going to have to take this on the chin. Canon is a business! They need to find their 'vision' again and move forward to once again dominate the world of DSLRs.

P.S. At our store we tend to sell more Canons than Nikons. We give equal billing to Canon, Sony, and Nikon. No Pentax, sorry! In fact, Canon, is in the best spot, seen first by customers when they enter. We have never had a D800 'in stock' as such, as months later we are still fulfilling backorders. The 5Dmk3 has always been in stock. In fact, after the initial rush, we still have a good number of bodies just sitting there. They are not selling because customers believe they are too expensive.

I am not posting to create controversy, as I tried to indicate earlier, but to give Canon a 'kickstarter' up the arse.

Phew...I'm exhausted.

Bye...for good...for now !!! :) :) :)

yeah, we're exhausted too, we stopped at the second paragraph.... [moving on]

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »
HAHAHAHA This is so funny, only a few months ago most of you were slating the d800 saying that it was over kill in MP,file size and that 22MP was the ideal number.
Now theres hints of a canon 46MP thats all out the window.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out, I can't see it having such specs with so hi Mp,fps and iso performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actual did come out but as more of a MF rival in a larger,extremely expensive body c300 style maybe.
Another funny thing is that a few years ago the 1Ds3 was the best camera for studios. Suddenly it's no good enough and many ask for a "high" megapixel camera!

P.S 21 or 22 MP is still the ideal number for me...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2012, 03:36:41 AM »
16 Bit and 46MP :-)
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

M.ST

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2012, 06:00:06 AM »
No other camera can reach the image quality of an 1Ds Mark III until today. That´s why I sold my 5D Mark III and that´s why I don´t get a D800.

More megapixels = better image quality is not right.

Canon filled a patent for a foveon type sensor. If there will be a 46.1 megapixel camera I expect the foveon type sensor in it.

But I like to see a new camera between the 1D X and the 5D Mark III with an image quality like the 1Ds III,  two CF card slots, the AF from the 1D X and two processors in an 5D Mark ... style body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2012, 06:00:06 AM »