October 22, 2014, 08:08:26 PM

Author Topic: Comparing 6D with 5D3  (Read 31233 times)

Sharper100

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Comparing 6D with 5D3
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
After comparing several key specifications between 6D and 5D3, below is my summary on how the two FF bodies compare (at least on paper):

MP:      20.3 vs. 22.3   = 5D3 is slightly better
FPS:      4.5 vs. 6.0   = 5D3 is 33% faster
Processor:      Same Digic 5+   = Tie
Metering:      Same 63-Zone   = Tie
ISO:      Same Range   = Tie
AF Points:      11 vs. 61      = 5D3 is “a lot” better
AF Center Point:   -3 vs. –2 EV   = 6D is 33% more sensitive in low light
Max. Shutter Speed:1/4000 vs. 1/8000   = 5D3 is 1-stop faster
Max. Sync. Speed:   1/180 vs. 1/200   = 5D3 is slightly faster
Silent Shutter:   Same      = Tie
Shutter Cycle:   100k vs. 150k   = 5D3 has 50% longer shutter life
View Finder:   97% vs. 100%   = 5D3 is slightly better
LCD:      3.0” vs. 3.2”   = 5D3 is slightly better
Exposure Comp:   Same +/- 5 EV   = Tie
AE Bracketing:   Same +/- 3   = Tie
Cards:      1 SD vs. SD+CF   = 5D3 is better
Custom Modes:   C1,C2 vs. C1,C2,C3   = 5D3 has 1 extra Dial Mode (C3)
AFMA:      Same      = Tie
HDR:      Same with 3 Exp.   = Tie
Multiple Expos:   Same 9 max.   = Tie
Scene Intel. Auto:   Same      = Tie
Built-in Wi-Fi:   Only in 6D   = 6D is better
Built-in GPS:   Only in 6D   = 6D is better
Size:      6D ~ ¼” Smaller   = 6D is slightly smaller
Weight:      27.2 vs. 33.5 oz   = 6D is 19% lighter 
Current Price($):   2,100 vs. 3,000   = 6D is $900 less

Obviously 6D is a “mini 5D3” with slightly less features that can be bought at $900 less than the current 5D3 price on eBay. The main difference between the two specs (at least to me) is the AF systems. 5D3 uses the 1DX Pro system, while 6D uses a simpler system that has a more sensitive center point, which is a huge improvement over the older 5D2.

Therefore, for me the decision is should I spend $900 more to have the Pro AF in 5D3, or save the money and get the smaller and lighter 6D which would be great using the Center Point focusing (lock focus and re-compose) ………It may be an easy decision for some, but I am still debating!!  Of course, both prices may drop also, but the gap probably stays about the same.

What do others think?

canon rumors FORUM

Comparing 6D with 5D3
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Comparing 6D with 5D3
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
You are not giving enough weight to important things the difference between a 97 % and 100% viewfinder is massive also it doesn't look to me like the 6d has the same awesome programs le dof button the FPS difference I s actually massive just use a 5d2 side by side with a mk 3 the 5d mk3 AF is simply awesome and blows the doors off anything that is not a 1dx yes the 5d3 is well worth the extra money IMO
APS-H Fanboy

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »

EV, like stops, is log2.  So, not 33% more sensitive, the 6D works in half as much light.

But of the two, I'd still pick the 5DIII.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rocketdesigner

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Headphone Jack:  6D NO  5D3 YES = Buy the 5D3

Sharper100

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the response, wickidwombat.

I agree that comparison is not quite that simple; as some items do carry more weight than others, based on what is important on one's shooting needs. So, your points are well taken.

When I pull the trigger to upgrade from my crop sensor XSi to a FF, and spend the mega bucks, naturally I expect the new camera to be quite capable and useful for every situation. I do a lot of landscape, fair amount of indoors low-light, and some events photography (indoor concerts). Regarding the AF system, would you think 5D3's system is easy to understand and use, and would it be hugely advantageous over 6D's super-sensitive center point low-light AF?

Also, another question I have, which really applies to both cameras, is that since they don't have pop flash, how would you manage the highly back-lit subjects without a fill flash (that is if you don't have an external flash with you). I am a bit concerned with spot metering the main subject, which could wash-out the back ground (i.e. would lose the nice blue sky background on a sunny day).

Thanks again.

Sharper100

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »

EV, like stops, is log2.  So, not 33% more sensitive, the 6D works in half as much light.

But of the two, I'd still pick the 5DIII.

Thanks for that. This is a great forum, as I learn something new every day.

compupix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Drew Faber Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
The 6D sensor is just 35.8mm x 23.9mm.
The 5D III's is 36mm x 24mm.
I don't know how significant that difference would be to you (or me.)
--
Thanks,
Drew

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »
The important thing, is can you take good photos with it.  Many of the features in the 5D Mark III are for advanced users and would go unused on upgraders from P&S or Digital Rebels. 

The 6D has a MSRP almost $1500 less, and it will drop just as initial prices always drop after the initial crowd gets theirs.  If I haden't snagged one of the $2750 5D Mark III's from Adorama, last week, I'd be interested.  I really see little advantage to the 5D Mark III for my photography, but I do like to wait for hands on experience and not just buy on specification promises.  I would be expecting that like my 7D, I could see the larger AF points in low light.

Sharper100

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
The important thing, is can you take good photos with it.  Many of the features in the 5D Mark III are for advanced users and would go unused on upgraders from P&S or Digital Rebels. 

The 6D has a MSRP almost $1500 less, and it will drop just as initial prices always drop after the initial crowd gets theirs.  If I haden't snagged one of the $2750 5D Mark III's from Adorama, last week, I'd be interested.  I really see little advantage to the 5D Mark III for my photography, but I do like to wait for hands on experience and not just buy on specification promises.  I would be expecting that like my 7D, I could see the larger AF points in low light.

I am sure that I would be using most of the features that the new camera would offer, whether it is the 6D or 5D3. That is one of the reasons for me to upgrade at this time. What I am mainly debating is how much better (or more useful) is 5D3's 61-point AF system over 6D's simple one.  Even though there are other spec differences between the two cameras (which are very important to others, such as the FPS and VF), to me the difference in the AF systems is where "most of" the price difference is at (i.e. about $900 gap). Am I the only one here who thinks that way?

So again, if all things were equal (at least for the sake of this question), would I miss 5D3's Pro AF system for many situations, if I went with the 6D and saved the $900?  Saving money is always important, but when I upgrade and make this investment, I don't want to lose on an important/essential feature.

Thanks for your feedback.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
Don't forget ergonomics and button layout.   Myself coming from a 7D, it would be awkward going to the smaller joystick less 6D.   Personally I like the larger body, even the 60D feels a bit small. 

...Current Price($):   2,100 vs. 3,000   = 6D is $900 less

$3400 + for 5D3 at reputable Canon authorized dealers.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »
The 6D sensor is just 35.8mm x 23.9mm.
The 5D III's is 36mm x 24mm.
I don't know how significant that difference would be to you (or me.)

I would sure like to understand the reason for the 6D's sensor size and what negatives if any it may have. 

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »
After comparing several key specifications between 6D and 5D3, below is my summary on how the two FF bodies compare (at least on paper):

FPS:      4.5 vs. 6.0   = 5D3 is 33% faster

this is actually a HUGE difference, if you shoot action you'll realize that the 1.5 extra fps can make a tremendous difference

i bet it has much better buffer performance too which might make a huge difference as well

Custom Modes:   C1,C2 vs. C1,C2,C3   = 5D3 has 1 extra Dial Mode (C3)

quite useful

also I bet the 5D3 video is better, although who knows how they manage to use the 20MP sensor, amybe they use it like the 1DX does....

the 6D doesn't have the side buttons or joystick either

6D has worse sealing "drip proof" sounds worrisome even for light rain

6D probably has longer mirror black out

Myself, I'd go for 5D3 for 100% sure.

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »
Well, I believe the spec for the 5DMKIII reads 'approximately' 36x24mm.  But even if it doesn't the 6Ds sensor is still 99% of the area of the MKIIIs.  That is not a whole lot to worry about.  There is certainly no meaningful crop factor to worry about.

I was researching an upgrade much as you are now.  I had resolved myself to get the 6D as it was just what I needed/wanted for an upgrade to my 5Dc, UNLESS I could get the MKIII on one of those Ebay deals.  Well, it happened so now I have the MKIII. 

Basically, the advanced AF in the MKIII really shines in AI Servo mode, tracking moving objects.  I haven't even begun to understand all the servo modes and tweaks that can be done.  It is amazing compared to how Servo mode works on my 5 and 3yr old cameras.  For one-shot, the nice thing about it is that you don't HAVE to focus and recompose...there is likely a cross type point near what you want in focus when you have it framed the way you want.  This is nice when using fast glass (say less than f2.8 at reasonable subject distances), because the DOF can be so thin that upon recomposing you shift the focal plane to a place you don't want it to be. 

The custom functions and extra buttons are certainly nice to have.  Particularly if you constantly change a lot of modes and settings.  I don't typically, so I still have to figure out how best to deploy those features.  I'm sure in time I will use them. 

Only you can know what is best to do with your money, but for me, the MKIII at $2800 was a no brainer over the 6D at $2100.  At $3200-3500...not so much.  Now, that said, I already have all the glass I need.  If you don't shoot where AI servo is very important to you, and you need or want more glass, I'd say save the money and get the 6D.  You'll get stellar images (assuming it is as good as other Canon bodies in the field) and can have some cash for extra gear. 

-Brian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
I'm really warming to the 6D as a prosumer level full frame camera...  As a casual user, yes, super duper AF would be nice, but ain't essential, better low light AF to me is useful as I'm no expert at photography and occasionally have trouble, especially as I were spectacles, practically blind in my left eye and never able to manually focus.  Initial prices for a 6D & 24-105 kit is £2500, so could be down to £2200 by the new year, which is looking a good deal for me, especially if I keep my 450D, for use with my 10-22 & 70-300
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
Thanks for the response, wickidwombat.

I agree that comparison is not quite that simple; as some items do carry more weight than others, based on what is important on one's shooting needs. So, your points are well taken.

When I pull the trigger to upgrade from my crop sensor XSi to a FF, and spend the mega bucks, naturally I expect the new camera to be quite capable and useful for every situation. I do a lot of landscape, fair amount of indoors low-light, and some events photography (indoor concerts). Regarding the AF system, would you think 5D3's system is easy to understand and use, and would it be hugely advantageous over 6D's super-sensitive center point low-light AF?

Also, another question I have, which really applies to both cameras, is that since they don't have pop flash, how would you manage the highly back-lit subjects without a fill flash (that is if you don't have an external flash with you). I am a bit concerned with spot metering the main subject, which could wash-out the back ground (i.e. would lose the nice blue sky background on a sunny day).

Thanks again.

The stand-out change in the 5DIII is the improvement to the AF system. Also you get the faster frame rate. As a 5DII owner who doesn't shoot action, I passed.

While the 6D doesn't have the 5DIII's AF, and isn't a sports camera by any stretch, it is quite usable. The 5DII with its "unusable" AF was the camera of choice for many wedding photographers before the 5DIII came along and there were options from competing vendors and Canon (1D series, 7D) with vastly more advanced AF.

Given what you shoot, I don't see a compelling advantage to the 5DIII.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »