December 11, 2017, 12:24:13 PM

Author Topic: Lensrentals.com - great blog entry - statistcs on repairs, failures and support  (Read 8410 times)

preppyak

• EOS 5DS R
Somewhat higher??  26 days compared to 6 days, on average.  You must have a different definition of 'somewhat' than me. 
Well, and take that a step further, since Nikon shut down 3rd party repairs, where he stated that Nikon prices nearly double Canons now.

All Canon 24-70 repairs were either $268 or $370 (non-discounted price) during the entire 6-month period. All Nikon repairs were $539 or $602 from April 1 onwards

Now, part of that might be attributed to the fact that the Nikon 24-70 was more expensive originally than the Canon v.1, or it could just be that Nikon is jacking up prices. We won't know until Part 2 of the list when he mentions the v.2 repair costs. Either way, a turnaround time that is 4x as long and potentially 2x as costly is definitely not "more or less neck and neck".

That said, every company should be matching what Tamron does, that sounds incredible. Makes me re-think future lens purchases knowing they can turn around a repair that quickly.

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS

Refering to other posts here there is also another statment interesting, that some new lenses coming directly from the shop are sending for repair because of troubles they have, but they are sent back with a note "shock damage". That's funny!
Its also true.  Its easy for a tech to spot shock damage.  A internal part shattered or danaged by shock is pretty obvious.
Unfortunately, the shipping services handle parcels pretty roughly.  Some shippers do not put the minimum 2 inches of shock absorbing material around the lens.  Even if they do, things still get damaged.  My wife worked at a unnamed shipper.  The men had a daily drop kick contest to see who could drop kick a parcel accross the warehouse and into the bin.  If they missed, then they just kept kicking it until they made it in the bin (or the boss came by).

Rogers posts are indeed valuable and entertaining.  I love them!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:26:51 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

PeterJ

• EOS 6D Mark II
Interesting on the CF pins and that it's a large cause of failure on a few other cameras as well. I've always been a bit sus on the robustness of CF when plugged and unplugged all the time and you only need a bit of grit to find its way into the female connector on the card to end up bending a pin.

I've often wondered if people who use 10 small cards and frequently swap might be better off just having a backup body and large card in both. Only a guess but I doubt if cameras do a full end-to-end verify so I wonder if say an address line was bent and you were only ever looking at the last preview, which I assume is in a buffer, if you could be merily swapping cards and have corrupt data on all of them. I suppose it comes down to the electrical versus physical reliability of the cards.

canon rumors FORUM