July 26, 2014, 11:52:49 AM

Author Topic: who uses Focal or similar?  (Read 4026 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: who uses Focal or similar?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »
I wish there were a macro setting for the 100mm L, I'm certain that the AFMA value will be a lot different at near macro distances.

It wasn't for me. For the 100L Macro on my 1D X, it was +4 at 50x FL, +2 at 25x FL, and +3 close up (filled the frame with FoCal's tiny target).  On the 7D, it's +2, +3, and +2, respectively, and the 5DII was -2, -1, and 0.
My 5D Mark II seemed to have a big difference, but I did not use FoCal at the time.  I'll check my new 5D Mark III with the lens. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:37:03 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
I have used Focal with great results. It is a program suited for studio and "set up" photographs as the micro adjustment changes with the distance you are away from the subject and such. If you take photographs of subjects that are "always" the same distance away from you and you "always" use the same focal lengeth, then it is perfect! :)

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
I have used Focal with great results. It is a program suited for studio and "set up" photographs as the micro adjustment changes with the distance you are away from the subject and such. If you take photographs of subjects that are "always" the same distance away from you and you "always" use the same focal lengeth, then it is perfect! :)

D
Thats true, but it has nothing to do with Focal, its a lens property.
Some lenses change their AF point depending on distance to the subject.  FoCal merely shows you what is happening.  Typically, lenses front focus as you get nearer to the subject.

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
I have Focal Pro. After doing AFMA to my 50D and 5DMKiii with my lenses, I compared pics before and after. I couldnt believe my eyes; they were different. Especially with 5DMKiii as it has Wide AFMA and Tele AFMA for zoom lenses. Focal Pro really works.

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 01:35:32 AM »
Personally, I do use Focal but i find that it's only useful to a certain extent.
Firstly, for wide angle lenses you won't really need to do much AMFA..you really can't tell the different and the adjustment is done wide open…i doubt many will shoot a wide angle landscape type shot wide open anyways.

It works well for more" zoomed" lenses…for me 50mm and above. And i don't even think it works for zoom lenses that well since the 5D wil "average out the in betweens"

However, for specific lenses like 85mm or Macro lenses..it works fantastic..you do see a huge difference if your lens is out.
But, depending on the distance and lighting condition, Focal might give varying results so it's best to do the adjustment at the distance you USUALLY shoot at….

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 04:32:53 AM »
I wish there were a macro setting for the 100mm L, I'm certain that the AFMA value will be a lot different at near macro distances.

It wasn't for me. For the 100L Macro on my 1D X, it was +4 at 50x FL, +2 at 25x FL, and +3 close up (filled the frame with FoCal's tiny target).  On the 7D, it's +2, +3, and +2, respectively, and the 5DII was -2, -1, and 0.
My 5D Mark II seemed to have a big difference, but I did not use FoCal at the time.  I'll check my new 5D Mark III with the lens.

My 7D required bigger AFMA numbers than 5D2.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »

D
Thats true, but it has nothing to do with Focal, its a lens property.
Some lenses change their AF point depending on distance to the subject.  FoCal merely shows you what is happening.  Typically, lenses front focus as you get nearer to the subject.

I have found that once I get a lens dialed in it works well at all shooting distances with the same AFMA point.  I realize that as the elements move a little bit when shooting at different distances that it will effect the AFMA point, but it is ever so slight. 

And many lenses (in fact all of mine) do not have a single AFMA point that is optimum but rather a slight plateau of the curve which includes 4-5 AFMA points.  If you calibrate at an average shooting distance and set it for the middle of this curve then you are all set for shooting at distances near and far.

I have seen a couple of curves that have a much steeper curve then I describe leading into the optimal AFMA point, but even here you are quite close to optimum and you would be hard pressed to notice issues in your images. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »

Even the same model different bodies will have different results.  There are many things that can cause this.  My 35mmL has a +2 on my 5D MK II while my 5D Mark III had a +17.  Canon calibrated the lens on their reference 1D Mark III and it was right on, while only changing a couple of points on the 5D Mark II.  There were different numbers for my 7D as well.
Usually, if a lens was front or rear focusing on one body, it did the same on all, just a different amount.  However, there were exceptions.  I've done it with dozens of lenses on several cameras.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 04:23:59 AM »

Even the same model different bodies will have different results.  There are many things that can cause this.  My 35mmL has a +2 on my 5D MK II while my 5D Mark III had a +17.  Canon calibrated the lens on their reference 1D Mark III and it was right on, while only changing a couple of points on the 5D Mark II.  There were different numbers for my 7D as well.
Usually, if a lens was front or rear focusing on one body, it did the same on all, just a different amount.  However, there were exceptions.  I've done it with dozens of lenses on several cameras.

I wish Magic Lantern team could provide a feature allowing use different AFMA settings at different focals (when zooms) and distances to target. I think it's a small step for them and the big one for the Canon community :)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 04:23:59 AM »