July 28, 2014, 03:50:15 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 70D & 700D in 2013? [CR1]  (Read 31013 times)

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 70D & 700D in 2013? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
Ha, CR1 and he says it will not have aps-h! lol A rumor that is definitive doesn't seem like a rumor.

:(. if 7D2 came out APS-C... than the APS-H sensor will be officially killed by Canon. I understand the cost / production  factor; but they will kill the biggest advantage ( marketing effect ) they ever had over the competition considering the last announcements in DSLR world by Nikon and Sony.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

hmmm

My $.02 Canon 6D FUD [CR0]
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
I'm hoping that the 7dMkII and 70D enthusiast cameras are announced together in something like March.   That seems realistic to me.

imho, there is no way the 700D will be announced at the same time; Canon will almost certainly seek to reap the higher profit margins of the enthusiast cameras before bringing the new sensor to the 700D/T5i, probably in August.

A real sensor improvement and I may be able as an enthusiast to stay with APS-C for a while.  Also, by that time we'll have a clear idea of what the 6D performance really is, maybe even a special or two coming our way.  Or the 5DmkIII may have some attractive pricing or more deals coming along as well.

Bottom line is that the Canon FUD announcement with the 6D at Photokina worked on me.   OK: it's not really just FUD; there's a real working camera, just not yet a production camera and sensor for real testing.    But there's enough there and working now to string me along until next spring.   The summer hiking season is my main shooting season, so I need a new camera in my hands by next May.

Hopefully Canon will come through.  If not, the D600 will still be there. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:40:41 PM by hmmm »

RichM

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • NH Sports Photography
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
If Canon would put out a 7d2 with a APS-C sensor, better high ISO performance than the 7d, better IQ, better AF, same build, at a price point below the FF models, sales would be through the roof.

As tempted as I am to sell both my 7d and 5d2 for a 5d3, I'd rather have the above 7d2 and my 5d2.  I'm waiting and saving for that.
5d3, 7d gripped,  17-40f4L, 24-105f4L, 70-200f2.8LII, 50f1.8, 300f4L, 430EX2

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
That's a long wait for a new camera, none of which will touch the Nikon D600 available now.

I am a Canon fanboi, with 5DII and L lenses to prove it. But I just ordered a Samsung EX2F instead of G15, and I am seriously looking at the D600.

I wish Canon would go all out and give everything they can in a 5D size body. But it isn't going to happen in this round. I doubt I can wait another 3 - 4 years.

SwampYankee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
I hope that the shutter on my 50D will keep on running long enough for a decent replacement...
Amen.    I have $2700 toward an upgrade on my 50D.  It sure does not look like it is a good time to upgrade.  The 6D is underwhelming (shutter and focusing system).  5D hasn't dropped in price (I'm just not quick enough on the specials) 7D and 60D are old.  I may just sit on my wallet until 2013 or until I hit  5D special
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »

It would be nice for them to use DNG, however I suspect not. I mean, after all, it drives people to use their DPP, at least for a little while after a new camera release.

Started using using DPP when I bought my 20D, back in the day. And I'm still using DPP as a RAW converter. The only other RAW converter I use for Canon files is Phase One's Capture One.

I know it's kool to dis DPP, but I don't care about apearing kool -- I just want tools that work, and DPP converts RAW files just like God and Canon intended :)

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
I've been saying this since the 5DIII came out and it isn't really that difficult to peg... the 7D2 will get a new APS-C sensor that has similar high ISO/NR performance as the 5D3 sensor - the only glaring issue with the 7D IMO; it will get the ancillary features in the 6D/5D3 like aspect ratio in live view etc. and maybe dual CF/SD like the 5D3, flagship APS-C camera... They probably throw in the GPS/WiFi from the 6D as well just to say they added something else...  It will also get the continuous AF that the STM lenses afford in video...and hopefully they will launch a couple new EF lenses (primes) with the STM  motor other than the 40mm pancake.  The other two STM lenses are kit lenses for T4i IMO...too slow and way too much glass for quality video.  They will likely address moire etc in the 7D2 just as they did in 5D3.  I just hope they make sure the picture styles and color performance match close enough to the 5D3 so you don't have post nightmares shooting both cams together.  I saw your post on 1Dx/5D3 color comparison...though not sure of its accuracy, it's a concern still. 

So many people were saying they wanted the 6D to be a "FF 7D" (that is what the 5D3 is folks) rather than an entry level FF camera.  Well, now the 7D2 is going to be an APS-C cropped 5D3.  ...or 95% of it at least.  Word.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »
That's a long wait for a new camera, none of which will touch the Nikon D600 available now.

I am a Canon fanboi, with 5DII and L lenses to prove it. But I just ordered a Samsung EX2F instead of G15, and I am seriously looking at the D600.

I wish Canon would go all out and give everything they can in a 5D size body. But it isn't going to happen in this round. I doubt I can wait another 3 - 4 years.

dude, the D600 is getting rheamed by its own Nikon fan boys... it doesn't even allow manual settings in video.  Nikon confirmed that to Philip Bloom in an interview at Photokina Friday.  A Canon Rebel is better for video than the D600.  Spec sheets aren't worth the paper they're printed on...they leave out the "S___ we can't do" section every time...

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 07:19:28 PM »

dude, the D600 is getting rheamed by its own Nikon fan boys... it doesn't even allow manual settings in video.  Nikon confirmed that to Philip Bloom in an interview at Photokina Friday.  A Canon Rebel is better for video than the D600.  Spec sheets aren't worth the paper they're printed on...they leave out the "S___ we can't do" section every time...

I'll definitely wait for full reviews, but DPR were sure excited about the D600 in their initial Preview.

hey, I'm a Canon Fan, not because I like the company or that I'm particularly brand loyal, but because Canon used to be unbeatable, at least in my price range. I think they can be today, but choose not to go all in with their new products. The market is competitive, Canon needs to roar.

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »

We can probably assume that all new EOS models will have WiFi as standard, although with wireless EOS Utility now a core feature on the 6D, it must not resonate too well with those WiFi-less 5D3's and 1DX's.

It definitely resonates which is why Canon launched the two new WFT-E6 and E7 wireless file transmitters with the 1Dx/5D3... the included wifi on the 6D has definite limitations, you're not going to be able to transfer RAW at high FPS rates etc at wireless N speed etc... I read an article on it last week, it's a watered down feature compared to the external transmitters...but it's an enthusiast camera so that's fine for the 6D.  My guess is they'll include it on the 7D2 just to give them another "added feature" but I think prosumers and pros will find it lacking in speed and other functions compared to the external transmitters...there's a reason those things are $600-700 each.  from Canon USA:

WFT-E7A Features

Wireless LAN support for IEEE802.11 a/b/g/n, delivering ultra-fast image transfer speed
    Support for wired LAN Ethernet-1000BASE-T for high speed communication
    Enhanced linked multi-camera shooting
    Media server (DLNA) supported
    Wireless time synching
    Bluetooth-compatible GPS devices can be connected wirelessly
    USB terminal for easy connectivity

"The WFT-E7A is compatible with the EOS 5D Mark III SLR and offers a wireless-only LAN function for enhanced versatility when transferring data. It supports IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n network connections, providing safer and faster wireless LAN transfers. It has a new image resend feature that ensures all images get transferred, even if a wireless signal drop interrupts transmission.

Wireless connectivity is gradually becoming an industry standard; many photographers are seeking convenient methods to transfer important image data securely and faster without the use of cables and wires. Canon developed the new WFT-E7A to support IEEE 802.11n, which provides seamless wireless transfers of large files at a speed roughly 3x faster than IEEE 802.11 a/g."

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

I'll definitely wait for full reviews, but DPR were sure excited about the D600 in their initial Preview.

hey, I'm a Canon Fan, not because I like the company or that I'm particularly brand loyal, but because Canon used to be unbeatable, at least in my price range. I think they can be today, but choose not to go all in with their new products. The market is competitive, Canon needs to roar.

No I get it... I just think anyone saying "this is better..." or worse... "Canon / Nikon missed the boat" etc. based on a spec sheet when no one has shot the first frame with a production version needs to chill.  Spec sheets are worthless, images and useability are everything.

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
I hope that the shutter on my 50D will keep on running long enough for a decent replacement...
Amen.    I have $2700 toward an upgrade on my 50D.  It sure does not look like it is a good time to upgrade.  The 6D is underwhelming (shutter and focusing system).  5D hasn't dropped in price (I'm just not quick enough on the specials) 7D and 60D are old.  I may just sit on my wallet until 2013 or until I hit  5D special

I think you're smart.  My guess is the 5D3 is closer to 3K USD ($2,999-3,099) by the holidays...and the 6D down a bit to $1,999-2099.  You can probably score a gently used 5D2 for $1,300 by end of year too.  The question is where does the 7D2 street price come in?  It has to be higher than the 1700 street price of the original 7D launch three years ago...but with the 6D at 2K ish, do they make it the same, little less, little more?  I'm taking a guess they put it in around 2,300 now that they have the 60D/70D which didn't exist when the 7D1 came out and 50D was way behind...  Everyone forgets how much they increased the 5D3 from 5D2... and with a new sensor vastly improving ISO/NR in 7D2, they might go for a higher price given the pro build quality, pro AF etc. compared to the 6D enthusiast design.  Spring is a long way away though...

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »
If it's true that there is a 70D and 7D2 coming next year, than Canon will own the APS-C market. Look's like Nikon may be abandonig their better DX cameras 'cuz there are NO rumors about a D7200 or a D400. And that would be bad, without compition to drive R&D there would be little inovation :(

I need better not more, a high qualiy 16/18 Mp will be fine. Just give me better Image Quality, better Low Light ability, better Metering and better Focusing.

What APS-C needs are some fast primes for both their still cameras AND the Canon C100 DigitalCine camera. For a lot of things slow zooms just don't cut it. A 15mm (=24mmFF) and a 22mm (=36mm FF) would be a good start. Next a 10mm (=16mm FF) and a 30mm (=48mm FF).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
Flexible video crop (full-frame to 1:1 crop in all modes) for all these cameras.
5DIII firmware update to include flexible video cropping.
Big time bonus - native DNG format, including the option to use the new lossy DNG raw format (huge, huge advantage over MRAW/SRAW).  Include this in the above-mentioned 5DIII firmware update.

Yeah...I'd definitely crack open the checkbook for that.

I do not. All you videots ... stop your whining over bloody video features in bloody stills cameras, especially in DSLRS. Get it into your head, that a DSRL is the single worst possible videocam .. by its very nature. Now go away. Leave us in peace. Do yourself a favour and buy a decent camcorder from Canon or from Sony ...  loaded with all the video crap on earth. Zebra stripes, all sorts of video output options, audio levels, 99 microphones, and anything more. Today these camcorders even come cheaper than a 5D III ... 3000 USD for a Sony VEX Full Frame HD camcorder ... just buy it and vanish from the stills photography sections of forums.

ah, Dinosaurs DO still exist...   

that1guyy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »
The 70D was supposed to come out around this time. I hope Canon gets their act together and releases it by the first half of 2013 in good quantities...I've waited for cameras enough.

I want:

Better sensor for low noise at all ISOs
Better codec (All-I) with higher bit rate and lower compression  and better downsampling
eliminate moire, aliasing, and rolling shutter
1080p 60p

For stills:
6fps burst rate
built in intervalometer
built in HDR mode

COME ON CANON. The GH3 does all this for $1300. The sony DSLTs all do this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »