July 25, 2014, 09:51:06 PM

Author Topic: Vintage Lenses: Any Advise?  (Read 6418 times)

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Lenses: Any Advise?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
As much as I "love" Canon...

Maybe going with another brand for this project would be better suited.

Case in point, I was thinking of pick up a Pentax K30 dslr.  Nothing too fancy, but with the native ability to mount most, if not all, Pentax lenses from the beginning, and the in-body IS, sound a bit more fun.

John

I was thinking to mount them on a D600 ;)

Anyway I've seen there are very few - but yet available - Canon FD L lenses. What about the 50/1.2 and the 85/1.2?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
Hi,
I also have a handful of old manual focus lenses. All of them are seldom in use but they were rather cheap, except for my Arsat 55mm f4.5 shift lens (cost me with EOS tilt adaptor more than 500Euro). I can recommend the M42 lenses. There are lots of them. The adaptors are readily available and cheap. The autofocus confirm chips don't work that well for me... but you can give them a try.

For 135mm I can recommend the Auto Vivitar Telephoto 135mm f2.8. The manual focus works very smooth, the bokeh is OK and focus to infinity works (albeit a bit soft). The Carl Zeiss Jena (CZJ) 135mm f3.5 is also OK. I have the Prakticar version with PB mount, which is identical to CZJ M42 except for the different mount. Like the Vivitar it's all metal but a bit small and light weight.

The old CZJ lenses are often a bit more expensive than the other M42 lenses, at least here in Europe. This has more to do with the name with the quality of the lens. The above mentioned lenses are at least equal and I actually prefer the Vivitar, which is better build.

BTW, be aware that the adapts work different on full format and crop bodies. The PB mount works great on crop but on ff the lens' end hits the mirror. I had to manually modify the original lens mount to fit it onto my 5DII. Now it works without a problem.

Be aware that some of the decades old lenses produce a slight yellow color cast, which comes from the ancient lens coating. Some used a weak radioactive coating and with its decay, the yellow color cast develops. The coating is the weakest point of these lold lenses. My Arsat is very sturdy build, has great resolution and is reasonable sharp but the coating is terrible, although it is just a 12 years old Ukrainian medium format lens. But try to show me any affordable 50mm or 55mm shift lens...
5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »

For 135mm I can recommend the Auto Vivitar Telephoto 135mm f2.8. The manual focus works very smooth, the bokeh is OK and focus to infinity works (albeit a bit soft).

Great! I picked up one of these on Friday because it came in a kit with a Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f1.4 that I wanted to try.  My adapters should be here tomorrow.
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 04:06:42 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
I would like to get a setup of old, possibly all-metal, manual focus fast primes.

I am a child of the AF generation, so I'm very little experienced in this sense and I don't know which ones are worth having nowadays.

I'm interested in 20-28mm, 30-40mm, 50-60mm, 85-100mm and 135mm. A standard setup.

Please share your opinions with me. Doesn't matter about brands, as long as they can be adapted and that it makes sense to buy them price-wise.

Thank you!

Contax-Zeiss Primes have less issues being fitted to EOS camera than the FD lenses. Plus, They're awesome.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
If you're buying vintage lenses, read this first:
http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstests/lenstestsc.html

and once that's clear, start the buying madness :)

http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstests/lenstestsa.html
http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstests/bokehtests.html

Hi! I knew some lenses wouldn't keep the pace of modern digital sensors, but I'm also sure the good ones would still be good. As I said, my 25-years-old nifty fifty is so much better than any modern MK2 I've seen.

I would like to get a setup of old, possibly all-metal, manual focus fast primes.

I am a child of the AF generation, so I'm very little experienced in this sense and I don't know which ones are worth having nowadays.

I'm interested in 20-28mm, 30-40mm, 50-60mm, 85-100mm and 135mm. A standard setup.

Please share your opinions with me. Doesn't matter about brands, as long as they can be adapted and that it makes sense to buy them price-wise.

Thank you!

Contax-Zeiss Primes have less issues being fitted to EOS camera than the FD lenses. Plus, They're awesome.

Do you have any direct experience?

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »

Hi! I knew some lenses wouldn't keep the pace of modern digital sensors, but I'm also sure the good ones would still be good. As I said, my 25-years-old nifty fifty is so much better than any modern MK2 I've seen.

Thank you!

Do you have any direct experience?

http://leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lenses-for-Canon-cameras.html

Had a 50mm 1.4 zeiss once, never really used it much.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 04:02:46 AM »

[\quote]

I didn't say anything on the contrary. Very few modern lenses can match the lovely image quality of my Leitz primes from the 60s and 70s, and the ones that do tend to cost at least $1500, sometimes $5K or even $12K, so, between 4x and 30x the price I paid for most of them.

But while buying my vintage primes I did get some lemons: maybe 30% of the lenses I've bought (both on ebay and on more reputable sources) came out damaged or wrongly assembled.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 06:43:12 AM »
Thank you, I'll be careful on what I buy and from who! ;)

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
How about a set of Samyang primes.

Not vintage, but they are inexpensive, high performance, and manual aperture+focus.  They come with an EF mount so no need to mess with adapters.

sootzzs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 09:11:31 AM »
How about a set of Samyang primes.

Not vintage, but they are inexpensive, high performance, and manual aperture+focus.  They come with an EF mount so no need to mess with adapters.

Depends on how you look at it: compared to 50-150$ vintage lens 399-599$ Samyangs are expensive.

Sorry to interfere your post, Alibi86, but on the same issue: I'm looking for nice cheap (no more than 150$) old MF lens for macro (like the Nikon 105 f4 Micro). Any ideas on that? Is it a viable idea?

Also you should check Keh.com. They have very good deals on vintage lenses from.   

Jon Gilchrist

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Jon Gilchrist Photography
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »
But try to show me any affordable 50mm or 55mm shift lens...

It's not 50/55, but I have an Olympus/Zuiko 35mm shift (no tilt) that I picked up off ebay with an EOS adapter fairly cheap. I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was under $200.

Samyang has a 24mm tilt-shift that looks remarkably like the TS-E 24 without any electronics that they showed at Photokina.  I'm still waiting on price, but it should be a great lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »

The idea occurred to me because I have a 25-years-old Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MK1, which is better built and easily sharper than any MK2 I've seen. And it also focuses more consistently.

I have had several of the old Metal Mount 50mm f/1.8 lenses, and, while I prefer them, they are no sharper and do not focus any better than the new ones.
I've actually had 3 of the various re-incarnations, the original made in Japan Metal Mount, the made in Japan Mark II, and the made in Malaysia MK II.
The real focus ring and the metal mount on the Mark 1 are what sets it apart.  Differences in sharpness are just copy to copy variations, since the optical formula is the same.
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MK I have right now is pretty inaccurate as far as autofocus goes on my 5D MK III.  AFMA of -11 fixes that.  It also has more variation from shot to shot than my other lenses. Different copies will vary.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
As others said, go for C/Y mount lenses (Zeiss) and M42 ones..

Some great and inexpensive choices are:
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4
Zeiss 80-200 f/4

The Takumar 50mm is very nice too, but I prefer the Planar 1.4...
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

florianbieler.de

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • florianbieler.de photography
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
When you want to use a Takumar 50mm 1.4 SMC on a full frame, you'll run into the problem with the mirror hitting the back of the lens. You can mod the lens though, wrote a bit about that on my website www.florianbieler.de. Going to try the lens out as soon as my M42 adapter arrives.
EOS 5D Mark III · Canon 17-40 4.0L · Sigma 35 1.4 · Sigma 85 1.4 · Canon 70-200 4.0L IS · Tamron 150-600 5-6.3 VC
EOS M · Canon 22 2.0 · florianbieler.de

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »