September 17, 2014, 03:58:06 PM

Author Topic: Lens cap solution?  (Read 16458 times)

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Lens cap solution?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
I have always found it somewhat annoying how easy it is to lose the lens caps on DSLR lenses. Why has Canon never come up with a way of ensuring the lens cap stays permanently attached to the lens?

What do you guys use, if anything, to overcome this little nuisance? I know Amazon has some cheap "lens cap keeper" solutions, but have never tried them.

canon rumors FORUM

Lens cap solution?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Lens cap solution?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
I have always found it somewhat annoying how easy it is to lose the lens caps on DSLR lenses. Why has Canon never come up with a way of ensuring the lens cap stays permanently attached to the lens?

What do you guys use, if anything, to overcome this little nuisance? I know Amazon has some cheap "lens cap keeper" solutions, but have never tried them.

I had a "lens leash" on my SX10 IS and missed it on my DSLR.  The problem is that most of these are too short to get around the base of longer lenses, and it's sort of awkward.

You could switch to an aftermarket lens that has a clip inside to attach to the strap, but I'm not sure that would really hold up to wear-and-tear over time. (I can't remember a brand at this point, but I had one years back)

My only other thought was a photographer's vest or your bag :/  Not ideal.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

endigo

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:20:46 AM »
What do you guys use, if anything, to overcome this little nuisance?
I make a point to put the lens cap in my left front pocket. No other place, especially not a shirt pocket, only the left front pants pocket. I haven't lost one since I have started making a point of doing this.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »
I had a "lens leash" on my SX10 IS and missed it on my DSLR.  The problem is that most of these are too short to get around the base of longer lenses, and it's sort of awkward.

I just don't understand why they can't do it for DSLRs

What do you guys use, if anything, to overcome this little nuisance?
I make a point to put the lens cap in my left front pocket. No other place, especially not a shirt pocket, only the left front pants pocket. I haven't lost one since I have started making a point of doing this.

Still means a loose piece of lens accessory floating around - always prone to misplacements. And also means I don't infrequently forget to put the lens cap back on!

I really don't understand the rationale behind not having an in-built solution.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »

Simplicity.  Why turn a $3 lens cap into a $50 over-engineered lens cap management solution.

Leashes may be fine for some, but I find them annoying to me and distracting to subjects (although possibly a bonus if you shoot lots of cats and dogs).  Plus the leash costs more than a new cap.

Endigo has the same solution as I, always put it in the same place.  I've never lost one.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:46:04 PM by bvukich »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »
Why has Canon never come up with a way of ensuring the lens cap stays permanently attached to the lens?

How would you like it attached?  Some Krazy Glue on the threads should keep it there permanently... ::)

Seriously, though - I hate the idea of a 'cap keeper'.  The relatively small lens cap for a P&S or camcorder dangling on a string is annoying enough - a 77mm or 82mm cap is too big to dangle, not to mention the fact that with an ultrawide lens, a dangling cap would have a good chance of being part of the picture.

What would you suggest for a design?

Like others, I put the cap in the same place every time.  I have 'lost' one 77mm cap, but not because I misplaced it, rather because I dropped it (camera in one hand, toddler in the other), and it rolled between the planks of a boardwalk with no access to the space underneath.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:00:54 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Leisersan

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »
Say what you will about nikon. Their lens caps seem to grab the lens and hold on better then canon's. That being said, the cap is not going to make a convert out of me ;) I agree with the other posters, always put the cap in the same place, for me its a back left pocket, though i rarely sit when on a shoot day, and youll never lose it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Why has Canon never come up with a way of ensuring the lens cap stays permanently attached to the lens?

How would you like it attached?  Some Krazy Glue on the threads should keep it there permanently... ::)

Seriously, though - I hate the idea of a 'cap keeper'.  The relatively small lens cap for a P&S or camcorder dangling on a string is annoying enough - a 77mm or 82mm cap is too big to dangle, not to mention the fact that with an ultrawide lens, a dangling cap would have a good chance of being part of the picture.

Being the product design engineer that I am (not)...

I don't know to be honest. But seriously, you don't find this annoying at all? If you're shooting with 1 lens all day, I can put up with it. If you're switching lenses several times over a relatively short period of time, I mean, how many times do you need to put the lens cap on and off - is it in your left front pocket, or right rear... or camera bag... I know I'm labouring the point... and you've got to ensure you're always wear clothing with a pocket of sorts in the same place???

For example, with camcorders, and point and shoot cameras, there is a lens cover of sorts in the form of a shutter (electronic or manual) at the front of the lens. I know that's a little more complex with lens filters... but surely a multi billion dollar company can find a solution that's also remotely aesthetically pleasing.

Am I missing the point here? Maybe having to worry about lens caps is really the privilege of being a DSLR owner...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:04:09 AM by Redreflex »

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »

Simplicity.  Why turn a $3 lens cap into a $50 over-engineered lens cap management solution.

So a $100 point and shoot can have an inbuilt lens cap, but an L lens that costs at least 10 times that amount can't?

endigo

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »

I'll stick with my front left pocket idea. But if I designed one, it would be an origami design that would fold out from a lens cap to a lens hood by giving it a quarter twist.

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »

So a $100 point and shoot can have an inbuilt lens cap, but an L lens that costs at least 10 times that amount can't?

Into where would it retract if it were the kind of iris- or shutter-like retractable lens cover as seen on those cameras?  The origami solution sounds interesting, but it sounds like an unnecessary point of potential mechanical failure and expense, compared to a plastic cap and a plastic hood.

I don't always use the same pocket, but I put my lens cap in a pants pocket.  The only time I've had issues is when I try to get smart and don't put it directly into a pants pocket.  Admittedly, I've planted a few caps, but for $7, I can buy a few extras.  YMMV.
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »
Well, there are products offering lens cap solution, like these:

http://www.jjcphotography.com.au/catelist.aspx?cid=73&sid=604&bid=193

Of course, you can just DIY something similar, but having a lens cap dangling from the lens
can be irritating at times.

Personally, I prefer the shirt pocket solution... ::)

Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »

It's a size thing.  The 82mm lens cap for my 16-35 II and TS-E 24mm is almost as big as my entire S95 P&S camera.  Also, on most P&S cameras and camcorders, the front element is significantly smaller than the front of the lens, so there's a place to engineer the automatic cover.  Not so for most dSLR lenses.

But seriously, you don't find this annoying at all? If you're shooting with 1 lens all day, I can put up with it. If you're switching lenses several times over a relatively short period of time, I mean, how many times do you need to put the lens cap on and off - is it in your left front pocket, or right rear... or camera bag... I know I'm labouring the point... and you've got to ensure you're always wear clothing with a pocket of sorts in the same place???

Honestly, I don't find it to be an issue.  I do change lenses several times on an outing, but mostly the cap never leaves my pocket, because a lot of my lenses share a common 77mm filter, so when I change lenses both the rear and front caps get transferred from lens to lens.  When I'm actively shooting, or walking/hiking around with the camera, I don't cap the lens (the hood and a UV filter provide protection).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »

contrastny

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
Say what you will about nikon. Their lens caps seem to grab the lens and hold on better then canon's. That being said, the cap is not going to make a convert out of me ;) I agree with the other posters, always put the cap in the same place, for me its a back left pocket, though i rarely sit when on a shoot day, and youll never lose it.

Bower makes the same exact lens cap as Nikon, without any logo on the front. I have this cap on a few of my lenses. It's a lot easier to take on and off, especially with a lens hood on, it also grabs better than the canon cap.

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
Every pair of pants I own has an integrated lens cap retainment solution built right in. Works perfect. Never lost one, never wondered where they went, never had to go far to retrieve it. Don't see how this system could be improved.

As for Canon's caps, I replaced all mine with Sigma caps, which have the center-grip thing like Nikon, but feel even better to my fingers. They were cheap, and they make it easy to remove caps with the lens hood on. Works in a pinch, I suppose you could say.  8)
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »