October 22, 2014, 08:06:22 PM

Author Topic: Lens cap solution?  (Read 16647 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Lens cap solution?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
Every pair of pants I own has an integrated lens cap retainment solution built right in. Works perfect. Never lost one, never wondered where they went, never had to go far to retrieve it. Don't see how this system could be improved.

As for Canon's caps, I replaced all mine with Sigma caps, which have the center-grip thing like Nikon, but feel even better to my fingers. They were cheap, and they make it easy to remove caps with the lens hood on. Works in a pinch, I suppose you could say.  8)

Hahaha +1  I replaced my caps with ebay ones with a center pinch.  They even have embossed the Canon Logo on it, doubt it was Canon approved but works better and stronger than canons caps.  You cant even accidentally knock it off...  It's sturdy.  Jacket/pants/shorts whatever, almost all have pockets... I always found it annoying when I get a spur of the minute shot and i've got this dangling cap swinging around below of the camera... Kinda distracting.  I want to focus 100% on the shot, not a dangling cap thats tapping my hand or mono pod or whatever. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:19:44 PM »
Hey, hey, hey....that was my solution! If you never take it off, it never gets lost! Krazy Glue fixes any problem.

Another idea is you could make the cap out of glass -- shoot right through it. But that's already been thought of too, I guess!

Seriously, I'm surprised that so many of us do exactly the same thing. As soon as a cap comes off, it goes in my shirt pocket, right next to the business (such as it is) cards. Since I'm not in the business anymore, I just call it a "who the hell are you?" card. Then when they see my title is "Senior Ranger," they're so confused I can easily make my getaway. Street photography can be a cagey business, such as it is.

For me, this is a non-problem looking for an unneeded solution. But then, I also realize there were many people who thought swimming across streams was a refreshing break until the bridge builders came along.

How would you like it attached?  Some Krazy Glue on the threads should keep it there permanently... ::)

Like others, I put the cap in the same place every time.  I have 'lost' one 77mm cap, but not because I misplaced it, rather because I dropped it (camera in one hand, toddler in the other), and it rolled between the planks of a boardwalk with no access to the space underneath.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
I really don't understand the rationale behind not having an in-built solution.

Simplicity.  Why turn a $3 lens cap into a $50 over-engineered lens cap management solution.

So a $100 point and shoot can have an inbuilt lens cap, but an L lens that costs at least 10 times that amount can't?

Correct.

As soon as they make an L lens that can fully retract into a DSLR body, it will probably have an integrated cap.  Until then, absolutely not.  And I tend to use absolute terms sparingly, so there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
To everyone else...

Redreflex is getting defensive because his simple question is getting met with snarky comments.  So please try to keep things courteous, constructive, and on-topic.

J. McCabe

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
I used keep caps until one day I put my camera on top of a cliff to shoot a panorama. The wind caused the cap to behave like a pendulum, causing the camera to shake.

Ever since, I just put the cap in my front pocket, and never lost one. This could be backed up by a few replacement caps from ebay, which are cheap.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »
To everyone else...

Redreflex is getting defensive because his simple question is getting met with snarky comments.  So please try to keep things courteous, constructive, and on-topic.

Very considerate bvukich... Although in fact, I'm quite enjoying the banter, so keep it coming! One of the many reasons I like this site and the forum community. Never thought a question about lens caps can throw up so many opinions (albeit mostly one sided!)

Now, all I need to is buy some pants with pockets...

For me, this is a non-problem looking for an unneeded solution. But then, I also realize there were many people who thought swimming across streams was a refreshing break until the bridge builders came along.

I honestly do think it's a nuisance. My dad bought his first DSLR last month, and pointed out the same thing to me, which I had forgotten about since I'm used to it. Maybe all seasoned DSLR users are so used to it they don't see it as a problem any longer.

Hmm... maybe an alternative solution is to have a lens cap holder attached to the camera shoulder strap rather than to the DSLR body itself. That would get over the problem of looking for a pocket in my pants when I'm shooting whilst wearing shorts (or whatever else that's pocketless) at home. Actually, I quite like that idea... not keen on "wind causing the cap to behave like a pendulum".

Does that BlackRapid strap thing recommended by some of you 1-2 weeks ago on another thread have a lens cap holder in addition to (I think) an SD card holder?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:01:55 PM by Redreflex »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »

I'll bet you could find them on ebay.

Now, all I need to is buy some pants with pockets...

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
I'm fairly sure walmart has a sale on pants and shorts with pockets... They'll hook you up.   ;)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »

I'll bet you could find them on ebay.

Haha! I love this thread. Especially since Redreflex is being such an awesome sport about it all.
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
Does that BlackRapid strap thing recommended by some of you 1-2 weeks ago on another thread have a lens cap holder in addition to (I think) an SD card holder?

Actually, I started typing something like that into my earlier reply, then had to head off to a meeting so I just deleted that part.  They don't have dedicated lens cap holders, as such.  The strap I use (RS-4) is thin, so the pocket could probably not even hold a 58mm cap.  But the RS-5 strap has a pocket for a smartphone, so it would probably be large enough to hold a lens cap.

Maybe instead of pants with pockets, you could get a velcro bodysuit (David Letterman, anyone, or am I dating myself?).  Then, glue the complementary velcro onto the front of all of your lens caps, and you'd never have to worry about losing them, just stick them to your body.  In fact, that might make a great camera carrying system.  I'm off to file a patent...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

endigo

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »
Maybe instead of pants with pockets, you could get a velcro bodysuit (David Letterman, anyone, or am I dating myself?).  Then, glue the complementary velcro onto the front of all of your lens caps, and you'd never have to worry about losing them, just stick them to your body.  In fact, that might make a great camera carrying system.  I'm off to file a patent...
Get in line, I am at the patent office for my origami lens cap idea.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
Wow.  A few helpful and nice suggestions and a bunch of . . . responses that found themselves so funny they had to twit about it ;)

I thought of it just now:
Filter holder.  Anything with a filter pocket will do as well.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »
Wow.  A few helpful and nice suggestions and a bunch of . . . responses that found themselves so funny they had to twit about it ;)

I thought of it just now:
Filter holder.  Anything with a filter pocket will do as well.

Off-topic, sorry, but how do you like your 70-300?
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »
Off-topic, sorry, but how do you like your 70-300?

Kind of snobbishly, not very much :(

The speed and sharpness of it isn't as good as my other lenses.  For being IS, I wasn't largely enthused how it looks when hand-held, but I haven't taken more than 50 photos with it.

My son's starting T-Ball this week, so I'll have more to go on.

The SX10 IS was remarkable for ultra-zoom handheld . . . I was just surprised that the 70-300 wasn't really up to the same spec :/
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »
Coming to think of it.... why not just follow the steps of those elderly photographers
and wear those mesh vests?

There's enough pockets in those babies to carry lens caps, blowers, batteries, and even
a lens or two. ;D
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »