October 25, 2014, 07:35:12 PM

Author Topic: Lens cap solution?  (Read 16667 times)

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Lens cap solution?
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »
Try this. Not in production yet, but seems like a good solution. Thought of this thread the moment I saw it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293194835/camera-lens-cap-holder
I can foresee three potential problem with this product
1. You need multiple cap holder to be attached to the camera strap if you are using multiple lenses with differeent cap size.
2. With multple holder attached to the strap, the camera strap may be akward to be used.
3. With the lens cap dangling on the strap, It will have more chance to come loose without the photographer even knowing it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »

I seem to be the only person on the planet who like the Canon-caps much better than the other pinch-in-the-middel versions. Those often popped out of my grip and bounced off the front element. but the Canon caps I simply take on and off edge first, much easier to grip the whole cap side by side, than a small awkard grip in the middle....

I totally agree with you. When it bounce of the front element, it may scratch the lens. Also depends on the lens design, the center grip cap may have a chance to scratch the front element of the lens, especially the wide angle lenses( The mechanism of the center grip can lamost be flush with the bottom of the cap)

robbiemccarthy

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I don't think I've seen this online yet:

I keep a cheap (like 2$ eBay brand) UV filter on the front of all my lenses while in my bag, and I don't use lens caps. That way I'm always ready for a shot, even if it means shooting with a mediocre filter. Better than nothing, quicker than a lens cap… When shooting something that I care about, I'll usually replace the cheap filter with a name brand filter. (mostly to please the professionals I know who INSIST on high dollar filters. I'm still undecided on that…) I've also dropped my nifty fifty on concrete from a few feet and shattered a filter with no visible loss in IQ. When I have a second, I swap my "lens cap" filters for a CP/ND/whatever and keep the cheapie in my filter case. Problem solved.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
For me the issue is not edge pressing versus centre pinching, but one of security when on. As a Nikon man for most of my life, I know they are more secure. As I have already said in a previous post here I bought some very nice centre pinch caps but they are actually worse at staying on than the original Canon caps.

So I assume the problem is more about basic design, with the Nikon caps simply having a larger area on grip on the lens? If so, it would seem to be an easy fix for Canon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »