August 20, 2014, 09:33:28 AM

Author Topic: Lens cap solution?  (Read 16369 times)

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Lens cap solution?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »
Mesh vests? I'd rather have the velcro body suit

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 03:53:25 AM »
Fun story:  When I got my 50mm f/1.4, I shot with it all the time.  Then I discovered that the cap from an old Sony F707/F717 digital camera is exactly the same - but has a bonus pinch-style cap and a short little leash on it.  So I swapped caps with the F707 lying around.  Well, one day I lost the Sony cap - it's around here somewhere, I'm sure - but the Canon cap is still sitting on the F707.

So, what do I do for the 50mm f/1.4?  It's protected by the third party lens hood (a cheap but nice Adorama one) and I keep it in the camera bag when not in use.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 09:08:58 AM »
Fun story:  When I got my 50mm f/1.4, I shot with it all the time.  Then I discovered that the cap from an old Sony F707/F717 digital camera is exactly the same - but has a bonus pinch-style cap and a short little leash on it.  So I swapped caps with the F707 lying around.  Well, one day I lost the Sony cap - it's around here somewhere, I'm sure - but the Canon cap is still sitting on the F707.

So, what do I do for the 50mm f/1.4?  It's protected by the third party lens hood (a cheap but nice Adorama one) and I keep it in the camera bag when not in use.

Clearly you're not married.

I get an arse-chewing if I leave a capped (both sides) lens on the top of the dresser ???
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »

Hell my wife doesn't care if I loose a cap, provided my gear isn't on the kitchen table or in her way when you wants to go from point A to point B haha. 

I get an arse-chewing if I leave a capped (both sides) lens on the top of the dresser ???
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

telephonic

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »
Why, I leave all my (front) lens caps back home.  ;D

Well, it's mainly because I'm just started, I started off with a nifty-fifty some times back. The front element is deeply recessed I found no use of neither cap nor protective filter.

My second lens, a 200/2.8, comes with a neat lens pouch. The pouch itself will NEVER protect your lens from falling etc. But the thick leathering (or sort of it) on the bottom side is enough to protect the lens against scratches and brushes, as long as you put the lens correctly in it. Well, let's say I'm dreaming of heavy, big, white, monsters of Canon's supertele lineup.

Now where did I put all my lens caps is another story...  ::)
Trusty 20D, a lighter 200, a nifty fifty, and an old Sigma that won't work stopped down.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »
Now where did I put all my lens caps is another story...  ::)

My point exactly!

dnhjr

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
I have always found it somewhat annoying how easy it is to lose the lens caps on DSLR lenses. Why has Canon never come up with a way of ensuring the lens cap stays permanently attached to the lens?

What do you guys use, if anything, to overcome this little nuisance? I know Amazon has some cheap "lens cap keeper" solutions, but have never tried them.

Canon caps really suck. I've never liked them. I use Nikon or Tamron caps as they are the best.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:27:30 AM by dnhjr »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
Some Sigma and Sony caps are decent too - the F707 cap (I've mentioned this before) had the Nikon-like pinch-cap design along with a little string.  Didn't care for the string so much but it could be useful.

The TS-E 17mm cap is pretty decent as well, though it can grind some grit along the outside of the lens barrel.  Just a cosmetic result.  The string on that one is wide enough to put around most wrists, though that would be awkward.  Of course, the design is no good for any lens that has a hood, since it wraps and balloons outward around the protruding front element and to the sides.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 10:06:50 PM »
The TS-E 17mm cap is pretty decent as well, though it can grind some grit along the outside of the lens barrel.  Just a cosmetic result.  The string on that one is wide enough to put around most wrists, though that would be awkward.  Of course, the design is no good for any lens that has a hood, since it wraps and balloons outward around the protruding front element and to the sides.

I think the string on the cap of the TS-E 17mm is a great idea, because the only time I use that lens is for landscape, so it's useful for hanging the cap on the tripod nobs. So whenever I move, I just grab the cap and put it back on the lens before I move to my next location.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

zerotiu

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »
I always keep my pants left pocket empty for my lens cap. Dangling lens cap can scratch lens and body especially the big one 77 size etc  ::). I'm at Asia, so using a vest here will make me sweat a lot.

*oh, and the velcro idea is...interesting. I like that :D.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:27:45 PM by zerotiu »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »

I think the string on the cap of the TS-E 17mm is a great idea, because the only time I use that lens is for landscape, so it's useful for hanging the cap on the tripod nobs. So whenever I move, I just grab the cap and put it back on the lens before I move to my next location.
Come to think of it, I've done that once or twice.  Thanks for the reminder!

Whoa, getting personal there.  I'm not exactly living in filth here, if that was your takeaway :)  I'll allow this much:  If the only kinds of women around were that bossy, I'd resolve to stay single.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 06:23:21 AM »
I bought a pack of centre pinch lens caps complete with the Canon logo and while I hasten to say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the product at all, which is exactly as advertised, the security of the cap when on the lens seems lower than the normal Canon design.

I've carried on using the centre pinch caps because they were excellent value. If I loose one, or more, its not a catastrophy and I can keep the original cap in good condition with half an eye to possible resale potential in the future.

I've carefully examined the centre pinch caps and cannot see why they should be less secure unless its simply that the proper Canon caps have a greater area of the cap in sprung contact with the screw thread on the lens?

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
My mum's 50 year old asahi pentax spotmatic had a nice solution, tiny hole drilled through the lens cap, length of wire to a loop, held onto the body where the leather case had a screw attaching to the tripod mount.
Why did we go backwards from there?

personally, i just hold my lenscap between my right little-finger and the underneath of my 7d (no grip), middle- and ring-finger on the front, index-finger on the shutter, never lost a cap yet...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »

liberace

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
Try this. Not in production yet, but seems like a good solution. Thought of this thread the moment I saw it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293194835/camera-lens-cap-holder

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »
I drop mine in the bag when I change lenses. How hard is that?  ;) I always use hoods on my lenses, so I very often do not use any lens cap.

I seem to be the only person on the planet who like the Canon-caps much better than the other pinch-in-the-middel versions. Those often popped out of my grip and bounced off the front element. but the Canon caps I simply take on and off edge first, much easier to grip the whole cap side by side, than a small awkard grip in the middle....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »