October 21, 2014, 06:41:11 PM

Author Topic: Joby Gorillapod for ground level Macro work?  (Read 1791 times)

crasher8

Joby Gorillapod for ground level Macro work?
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:29:17 PM »
Anyone use this, either the Focus or the SLR Zoom models? I've been doing quite a bit of Lensbaby Macro about 2-6" mfd at ground level and need a small tripod to hold a 5D3 and an EF 100.

Any other sub $100 suggestions are welcome, Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Joby Gorillapod for ground level Macro work?
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:29:17 PM »

shining example

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Joby Gorillapod for ground level Macro work?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:06:51 PM »
I've used the SLR Zoom, but gave up on it because it wasn't stable enough to hold my 7D and a Sigma 28-105 lens. Can't say how much better the Focus is, but I'd be wary to be honest.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
By my calculations, a small bean bag costs far, far less than $100...and will provide a more stable support than a Joby Gorillapod.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

crasher8

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »
Neuro, I actually just packed a beanbag (actually an aromatherapy lavender sack!) in my bag for tomorrow's shoot at the Arboretum. I'm going to try 2 sec self timer and my cowboy studio remote, I assume either will have a similar result. I thought of using MLU but probably won't notice any difference. Am I wrong?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »
Lavender is more compressible and doesn't hold the bag's shape well.  I think rice, split peas, or beans would work better. Also, you'll be testing the dust sealing of your body and lens - a lavender sachet produces quite a bit of dust.  But it sure smells nice!

I thought of using MLU but probably won't notice any difference. Am I wrong?

Yes, MLU helps.  Shooting in Live View (electronic first curtain) helps a little bit, too.  YMMV.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

crasher8

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
I have a bag of rice in an old wool sock that goes wherever my dslr goes - indispensable.
Diane

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »
I have also used the SLR Zoom Gorilla pod. For small bodies up to a 50D or 60D with a smallish lens this is okay, but it doesn't hold up to a 70-200mm or similarly sized lens on a small body nor to a regular sized L lens with a heavier body such as a gripped 7D.

If your macro equipment would consist of a 60mm lens and a 60D or something similar, you might be ok, but with a 5D Mark III and a 100mm lens it is not a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:01:29 AM by AmbientLight »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »
I have the Focus, and just used it a few times on our recent vacation - it did a good job of holding up a gripped 5D II + 24-70L + 580EX II while being used on the ground in a standard tripod setup.

When testing prior to the trip, I tried the same equipment with the GorillaPod hanging on to some railing (camera hanging directly off the side), and the Joby Ballhead X was not strong enough to keep everything in place, so some of the more unusual placements that are possible with the GorillaPod may not work out with that head if you're using heavier lenses.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:47:53 AM by Swphoto »

crasher8

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
I've come across the Redged Macro tripod as a supposedly great ground level study tripod which supports 6 lbs. Not available anywhere at the moment however. I think in the meantime I'll order a The Pod Green beanbag and for now a sack of wild rice blend from Costco we think is disgusting in a big wool sock.

Thanks everyone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »