April 18, 2014, 03:18:58 PM

Author Topic: More Big Megapixel Talk [CR1]  (Read 55673 times)

jbayston

Re: More Big Megapixel Talk [CR1]
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »
the trouble with these massive file sizes is that it shows the lenses to be less than perfect. i still think that a great lens and a reasonable size sensor would beat and average lens and massive sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »
the trouble with these massive file sizes is that it shows the lenses to be less than perfect. i still think that a great lens and a reasonable size sensor would beat and average lens and massive sensor.

I would argue that it shows there is a renewed need for image stabilization. Or, alternatively, that the user doesn't have nearly as steady of hands as they think they do. ;)

I can't say much about consumer lenses, as they are mass produced and use lower quality materials for the optical glass. But professional grade lenses, particularly Canon L-series telephoto lenses, are made with much higher quality glass and usually hand crafted for precision. I believe Canon's latest Mark II telephotos are plenty capable of resolving enough detail for a 46.1mp sensor. I recently used the new EF 300mm f/2.8 L II IS, the successor to what was previously considered Canon's sharpest lens ever, period. The sharpness of that lens is unbelievable, and was fully capable of keeping up with my Canon 7D for birds (lots and lots of super fine feather detail). Even my slightly older Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II lens is capable of keeping up with the resolution of my 7D, and it isn't anywhere close to the engineering feat that the 300mm lens is.

The 7D, BTW, has a pixel pitch about the same as a 47.6mp FF sensor would have... So I seriously doubt anyone will have a problem with lens resolution, so long as they use professional-grade glass, and use newer lens models.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »