July 23, 2014, 09:21:00 PM

Author Topic: mhm... open letter to canon?  (Read 20101 times)

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
mhm... open letter to canon?
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
with all the complains about canons 6D autofocus why is no website, that cares about canon in one way or the other, writing an open letter to canon... demanding a statement?

i mean.... dpreview wrote it´s a rather dissapointing camera and i have yet to read a preview that is not puzzled by the low-tech AF.

if we complain here in a forum .. canon cares a sh*t.

but if a popular and frequented website writes something and is not afraid to tell the truth... maybe canon will take notice and feel obligated to react?

or maybe it´s to late here and im just bored and tired.....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:58:02 PM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

mhm... open letter to canon?
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: mhm... open letter to canon?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »

Bingo.  :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »

Bingo.  :P

well yeah we know you like to complain in dark corners, quietly about the 6D.. but that will for sure change nothing. ;)

Gothmoth

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
to be honest, i like to see a website raise uncomfortable questions.

but today it´s all nice "blahblah".

when a website is lucky enough to get an interview, it looks like they do everthing to keep the manager comfortable.

the result is an interview that is nothing more then boring PR.
cheap advertising for the companys.

when have you read an interview with a canon manager where the interviewer asked question you would ask?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
Lol.  Since I use a 1D X and love it, I honestly couldn't care less if the 6D is a rebadged 20D or a 5DIII for hundreds less...

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:33:20 PM »
Lol.  Since I use a 1D X and love it, I honestly couldn't care less if the 6D is a rebadged 20D or a 5DIII for hundreds less...

nevertheless

Quote from: neuroanatomist
And a happy 0th birthday to the ugly, red-headed stepchild of the FF family, aka the 6D

Only one cross-type sensor, and that one not even a dual cross.

Now that the 60D's 9 cross-type AF with center f/2.8 dual cross has trickled down to the T4i/650D, IMO the Rebel line has a better AF system than the 6D.

Weak. Very weak.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »
To put it bluntly.

Who really gives a S___. There are more pressing issues in this world you should be penning angry and frustrated letters about. So I can't really do anything than shrug and laugh this off as utter bloody madness.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
To put it bluntly.

Who really gives a S___.

i guess those complaining here in this forum?

There are more pressing issues in this world you should be penning angry and frustrated letters about. So I can't really do anything than shrug and laugh this off as utter bloody madness.

all im saying is, it will sure make more sense then complaining in this forum.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »

nevertheless

Quote from: neuroanatomist
And a happy 0th birthday to the ugly, red-headed stepchild of the FF family, aka the 6D

Only one cross-type sensor, and that one not even a dual cross.

Now that the 60D's 9 cross-type AF with center f/2.8 dual cross has trickled down to the T4i/650D, IMO the Rebel line has a better AF system than the 6D.

Weak. Very weak.

Touché, Sir.  :)

Zlatko

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »
with all the complains about canons 6D autofocus why is no website, that cares about canon in one way or the other, writing an open letter to canon... demanding a statement?

i mean.... dpreview wrote it´s a rather dissapointing camera and i have yet to read a preview that is not puzzled by the low-tech AF.

if we complain here in a forum .. canon cares a sh*t.

but if a popular and frequented website writes something and is not afraid to tell the truth... maybe canon will take notice and feel obligated to react?

The 6D is supposed to excel at low-light autofocus.  If you don't need that, then it probably wasn't built for you but rather for users who need that.  If you have different needs for AF, Canon offers the 5D3 and 1DX.  If none of those meet your needs, there are Nikon and Sony and others.  Why complain that Canon isn't making the exact camera you want at the price you want at the time that you want it?  No manufacturer can satisfy everyone.  If Canon builds the exact camera that you want, then other potential buyers can rightfully "demand a statement" as to why Canon didn't build the camera that they wanted at the price that they wanted at the time that they wanted it.  There would be no end to such statements.  Besides, who has tested the 6D's AF and found it lacking?  People are complaining before they can even try the camera.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
Demanding a statement about what, exactly? That Sony right now produces some bloody good sensors and have some patents that Canon are having a hard time working around? That Nikon right now are better in some areas?
That Canon cameras are so bad right now that you can't make any money compared to Nikon shooters? That Canons pricing is wrong compared to Nikons?

We are all free to choose any manufacturer we want.

I'm not a Canon fan or anything, but this is just insane. People are doing awesome things with old consumer cameras.

If you are saying people should cram their complaining, yeah, then I agree completely.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
Well, if you know anyone at Luminous Landscape, they could possibly help you out, they've just done an Open Letter to Sigma (down the bottom) about the lack of RAW-support for their Foveon sensors (and apparently their own software is horrid).
I'm not sure how much coverage they give to Canon stuff though, there's a few reviews of older equipment, but nothing recent (seeing as Canon doesn't exactly have a 'Landscape' camera, it's all events and sports lately), LL does mostly MF bodies and the occasional Street.

Of course, even if they do write open letter, there's also the point that whether it acutally amounts to anything is another thing entirely...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »
I honestly think the 6D will be a very good FF camera.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »

pz-photography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
I tried the AF of the 6D last tuesday @ photokina in cologne as one of the very first people. I'm sick of all the complaning about the AF system. The only thing that is not as good as my 5D III is the spread of AF points, they are more in the center of the frame than the ones in the D600, too. But in terms of speed? Seriously, I didn't find any difference in focussing speed with the center AF point compared to my 5D. It was accurate and really fast! there is not that much light at the canon booth and they had not the fastest lens on it (24-105 4.0) and even in that conditions it was totally accurate and fast while focussing pretty dark and structureless targets, also with the other AF points. I think we can believe canon that it can focus in half as much light as the 5D III. I tried the AF for 20 minutes and was pretty impressed. It's a completely diffrent system then the 5D II or 60D, so it doesn't matter if its 1 cross/dualcross/wtfcrosspoint or 10 or 100. It works absolutely fine! So STOP COMPLANING until you had the camera in your hands, took it into dark environment and experienced something completely diffrent!
5D Mark III | 7D | 1V HS | 14 2.8L II | 35 1.4L | 50 1.2L| 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 24-105 4.0L IS| 70-200 2.8L IS II | EF 2x III

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
It was accurate and really fast! there is not that much light at the canon booth and they had not the fastest lens on it (24-105 4.0) and even in that conditions it was totally accurate...  It's a completely diffrent system then the 5D II or 60D, so it doesn't matter if its 1 cross/dualcross/wtfcrosspoint or 10 or 100. It works absolutely fine! So STOP COMPLANING until you had the camera in your hands, took it into dark environment and experienced something completely diffrent!

What looks spot on when reviewing on the LCD is often OOF when reviewing on a monitor during post.  'Totally accurate' with the deep DoF of an f/4 lens is not the same as totally accurate with the razor-thin DoF of an f/1.2 lens and a close subject.  How was the AI Servo tracking performance?

I'm not complaining, just suggesting that the jury is still out, and 20 minutes with a camera at a trade show does is not sufficient for a thorough test.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »