April 19, 2014, 02:14:26 PM

Author Topic: mhm... open letter to canon?  (Read 18813 times)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Re: mhm... open letter to canon?
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 09:33:06 AM »
Steve Jobs constant focus on the product at Apple should be the most important class they teach at business school.  Make things that customers will fall in love with....profits will follow.   Not many people will fall in love with a canon 6d...IMO.
I'm glad you mention Steve Jobs. What would a camera look like, if it were made by Apple?

Just look at the iPod. People and reviewers were asking for FM-receivers all the time, Apple never included it. The ability to record on an iPod, like it was possible with many other MP3 players; no, never on an iPod.

Appled trashed Flash on the smartphone; can you remember the outcry of the puplic, and especially the reviewers, what! no flash, they have to do something about it.

Or the iPhone an exchancable batteries. There is still discussion going on about that, like with many other things Apple did.
So like here in the forum, there many people complaining about apple products too.

Looking at their perfect target group and previous products, such a camera would have one button only.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 09:33:06 AM »

bakedcorn

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 09:38:19 AM »
I think some people are just too cheap to admit that the camera they want is a bit more than they would like to spend.

or maybe they think they get a better deal for less money from nikon these days.

...then go buy Nikon.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
...then go buy Nikon.

well many would.... if they had not thousands of euros invested in canon glass.

and if you use your fanboy brain on your third posting here, you might get it before making a post.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:55:46 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
I think some people are just too cheap to admit that the camera they want is a bit more than they would like to spend.

And there's the rub. Do you bend over and help them stick it in or do you turn around and slap their face! Is it more than you would like to spend or is it more than it's really worth? And if it's more than it's worth, do you "...take up arms against a sea of troubles..."?

"...a bit more than they would like to spend" is pathetically passive. And "just too cheap" is what a whore says when she gets insulted when you only offer her a quarter.

Most consumers have become like this guy -- they think a seller sets the price and they can either afford it or not. If they have the money, they just hand it over for what they want. The idea that the price may not be worth the value never enters their mind. What -- I don't get what I want because it costs too much???

Best example is the 5D3. I'd own one today if I thought it was worth $3500. It has nothing to do with what I'd "like to spend." I could spend that, even though I don't want to, but it's far more important to me to say to Canon, "I like your product, but I won't pay that much for it." So I don't pay that much for it. [The Adorama ebay sale last weekend revealed that it can be sold for $2750, so when the opportunity comes along again, I'll pay that for what is probably the best overall, mass market, full frame camera available.] Frankly, all the bendovers, who gladly handed over $3500 haven't helped send any message to Canon in the only language they truly comprehend.

Funny thing, as much as I think the 6D is an abortion of a camera, the price does not seem out of line. It's going to put a lot of Spielberg wannabes and center-pointers in hog heaven. And it's going to sell a lot of glass for Canon.

And now, if you'll pardon me, I have pictures to make. Good day one and all, even you pathetically passive consumers.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

aj1575

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »

well i guess you can´t tell me what the manufacturing cost of the 6D is either?
so your guess is as good as mine.  :)

my guess is based on the fact that the 60D sells for 950 euro (the 7D for 1200 euro) and i don´t see any feature that is worth 1150 euro more. 

the FF sensor?  ::)

and yes.. i say GPS and WIFI will not make manufacturing much more expensive.

canon is simply maximising profit.. that´s ok for canon to try... but don´t try to sell me the 6D as a bargain.

it´s like dpreview wrote:

Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark.

The price for a 60D is today at 950$ it was 1300$ when it came out http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?pu=697573(NZ$). The 5DII started also over 3000$ like the 5DIII. So the comparison of the brand new 6D to a 2 year old 60D, is flawed. The price of the 6D will come down soon, and by the amount of the drop we will see how successfull it was, and by how much Canon can lower the prices with still making profit.

aj1575

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
Most consumers have become like this guy -- they think a seller sets the price and they can either afford it or not. If they have the money, they just hand it over for what they want. The idea that the price may not be worth the value never enters their mind. What -- I don't get what I want because it costs too much???

Best example is the 5D3. I'd own one today if I thought it was worth $3500. It has nothing to do with what I'd "like to spend." I could spend that, even though I don't want to, but it's far more important to me to say to Canon, "I like your product, but I won't pay that much for it." So I don't pay that much for it. [The Adorama ebay sale last weekend revealed that it can be sold for $2750, so when the opportunity comes along again, I'll pay that for what is probably the best overall, mass market, full frame camera available.] Frankly, all the bendovers, who gladly handed over $3500 haven't helped send any message to Canon in the only language they truly comprehend.

You forget that there is a thing called "supply and demand",  if there is demand for a 3500$ FF DSLR that Canon can supply, then they will do it. They will do the same with a 2099$ DSLR. If the demand drops, they can lower the price, or they need to reduce the supply.
If you are not willing to pay 3500$ for a 5DIII, then you are simply not at the point where supply and demand meets. And just because some people think that 3500$ is not too much for such a camera, doesn't mean that they are wrong.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »
So like here in the forum, there many people complaining about apple products too.

Yeah, but those people are all just Microsoft-loving whiners with a high tolerance for kludgy platforms.   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
To me this is all very simple:

The 6D seems like a fine camera for FF beginners.  The problem is it should be about $1600, have  a flipscreen, aimed at the video group, and fall in the xxD line, something like a 65D.  Gimmicks like WiFi and GPS can remain (yes they are gimmicks, although useful for many, they are not core camera components).

For us that care more about core components like AF, view finder size, build and ergo, and even card type there is only 1 option which is the the very costly 5D3.  Now that Canon has offered an xD alternative to the 5D3, there is little to no hope that Canon will offer a mid range FF body this cycle. 

I think we can all agree there is a huge gap between the 5D3 and 6D.  If the 6D was a xxD and the 6D was in-line with other xD (single digit) bodies, it would be good for us and good for Canon.  I think there is plenty of room for a another $2500 FF body assuming the 6D is a xxD priced about $1600

For those telling us we are too cheap and unwilling to cough up the bucks for a 5D3, well, even in the year 2012 $3500 is a lot of money for a body and difficult to justify for many.  Some just don't have it, others can't justify it.  Canon will still likely get our money but in the form of glass and accessories so its not about being cheap.

For those telling us to run to Nikon, yes some will and have.  For myself, I'm invested in Canon, I'm staying with Canon for several reasons.

I certainly understand Canon-F1's frustration and desire to send Canon a letter although I don't think it would be effective.  Yes there are bigger issues in the world as one poster mentioned but that is partly why I visit CR to escape much of the BS in the world.   Finally I think it is perfectly appropriate for someone to express their frustration or disappointment in a product spec or announcement as long as it's in moderation and appropriately stated.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:51:54 AM by RC »

daniemare

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
I am an owner of a 500D and a 450D before that.  I upgraded solely to give my the 450D to my sister as I could get the 500D at a bargain price. Performance difference - almost none

For me, the 6D would be an improvement in ALL departments. FF, ISO, DIGIC, FPS, AFS, OVF, LCD, GPS, WIFI. Bonus is my SD cards are still usable. And I understand its is me that Canon is targeting with the 6D

My point is yes, if you bought a 60D or 7D last year, you might be dissapointed. Even a 5DII owner might be. But I am sure that the 5D owner sees the same upgrades as I do.

It's very much like the iPhone 5.  Coming from a 3GS I think it is an awesome phone, while many of my 4S friends are dissapointed.

If you buy a camera/phone/TV/you name it every year, the incremental upgrades will frustrate you to the point of shear dissapointment
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

Zlatko

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
...then go buy Nikon.
well many would.... if they had not thousands of euros invested in canon glass.
Easy to sell it.  Very easy:  eBay.  You can sell all of your Canon gear within a week.  I've never had a problem selling my used Canon gear and have always gotten a fair price.  The loss on resale is modest, certainly fair for the use I've gotten out of the gear.

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
I almost canceled 5DMKiii's pre-order when was reading a lot of complaints on this forum. Fortunately, I didnt and now am very satisfied with it. So, post complaint after it's yours and you are familiar with it. Dont utter after just hearing. LOL,

jfretless

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »

And there's the rub. Do you bend over and help them stick it in or do you turn around and slap their face! Is it more than you would like to spend or is it more than it's really worth? And if it's more than it's worth, do you "...take up arms against a sea of troubles..."?

"...a bit more than they would like to spend" is pathetically passive. And "just too cheap" is what a whore says when she gets insulted when you only offer her a quarter.

Funny thing, as much as I think the 6D is an abortion of a camera, the price does not seem out of line. It's going to put a lot of Spielberg wannabes and center-pointers in hog heaven. And it's going to sell a lot of glass for Canon.

And now, if you'll pardon me, I have pictures to make. Good day one and all, even you pathetically passive consumers.

Wow.  What a tool.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
@neuroanatomist
Quote from: aj1575 on Today at 09:28:47 AM

Yeah, but those people are all just Microsoft-loving whiners with a high tolerance for kludgy platforms.

Or those mightily annoyed with Apples policy of abandoning the professional creative market that kept them going through the dark days before iphones & apps.

Apple screwed up FCP, so I think shall I move onto Adobe CS?  Except that I'll need to drop another £1000 on a graphics card that will give me anything like the performance from a PC costing half as much, or less.

Apple have a great OS and handsome machines which are a joy to use.  But when it comes down to brass tacks, if I can't run the app I want at a modern speed (FCP7 made 64bit) and I am getting pumped because of Apple & Adobe's unpleasant petty spat, then I'll make my next PC a windows machine.

Life is too short and my pockets too shallow.   Some Mac zealots really can't see this.  I've used macs professionally since 2001, PowerMacs, iMacs, Powerbooks, Macbook Pros, Mac Pros, since every version of FCP from v2 onwards.  I love macs.  Stable.  Reliable.  Transparent.  OSX when it came in just vindicated that. 

Now apple don't want my business anymore.  Or they want me to use a neutered version of the app that doesn't play nice with the pro tape formats I need.

So I'll moan about Apple thanks.  And I was an Apple person.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »

Trovador

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Photography Portfolio
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »
To me this is all very simple:

The 6D seems like a fine camera for FF beginners.  The problem is it should be about $1600, have  a flipscreen, aimed at the video group, and fall in the xxD line, something like a 65D.  Gimmicks like WiFi and GPS can remain (yes they are gimmicks, although useful for many, they are not core camera components).

For us that care more about core components like AF, view finder size, build and ergo, and even card type there is only 1 option which is the the very costly 5D3.  Now that Canon has offered an xD alternative to the 5D3, there is little to no hope that Canon will offer a mid range FF body this cycle. 

I think we can all agree there is a huge gap between the 5D3 and 6D.  If the 6D was a xxD and the 6D was in-line with other xD (single digit) bodies, it would be good for us and good for Canon.  I think there is plenty of room for a another $2500 FF body assuming the 6D is a xxD priced about $1600

For those telling us we are too cheap and unwilling to cough up the bucks for a 5D3, well, even in the year 2012 $3500 is a lot of money for a body and difficult to justify for many.  Some just don't have it, others can't justify it.  Canon will still likely get our money but in the form of glass and accessories so its not about being cheap.

For those telling us to run to Nikon, yes some will and have.  For myself, I'm invested in Canon, I'm staying with Canon for several reasons.

I certainly understand Canon-F1's frustration and desire to send Canon a letter although I don't think it would be effective.  Yes there are bigger issues in the world as one poster mentioned but that is partly why I visit CR to escape much of the BS in the world.   Finally I think it is perfectly appropriate for someone to express their frustration or disappointment in a product spec or announcement as long as it's in moderation and appropriately stated.

Reasonable, well though posts such as your will not be tolerated in this forum, reported!.  (Completely agree)
Canon 6D+7D; 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS, 50 1.4, 100L 2.8 IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye
www.ruddyflorentino.com

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
Canon WILL lose customers over this.

Lots of people will just wait for the next iteration.  Many will just get a 6D anyway.  Several will save up for a 5D3.  Some WILL sell all their Canon gear and get a D600.

How many that is remains to be seen.

My D600 rental shows up tomorrow.  If it's good, you'll be able to find all of my Canon gear on Craiist next week.

I know I can't be the only one.

Will it ultimately "hurt" Canon that some are going to leave?  Probably not... and that's definitely not my intention... I just want the best camera I can get for $2k.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »