Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

DSLR Backpack for a trip to Thailand

<< < (2/2)

ebroesicke:
Not to muddy the waters, but I checked out the pack you mention and settled on the lowepro versapack for all of the reasons you mentioned.  Used it in costa rica this year.  Canon 7d, 17-50 tamron and 70-200 f/4.  also hoods, batteries filters etc.  worked really well.  just a thought, enjoy your trip.

FaiWaaep:
And do not forget to take a ND / CPL filter/ters with you.
Wish you a pleasant journey.

bschaefer:
You guys mentioned filters. Which filters are worth buying and why? In what situations would I need a specific one? And I also don't fully know what a lens hood is for. Totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

FaiWaaep:
Basically,

CPL (Circular Polarizing) you can get deep blue skies, get better picture through glass and makes easier to you to see into the water (fishes). Handy here in Thailand because many temples have the Buddhas etc. in a class frame and zoo's have the snakes and the other reptiles in a class terrario.

ND (Neutral Density) allows you to use longer exposure time to blur water, clouds and all the other moving things during the daytime without overexposing the frame.

GND (Graduated Neutral Density) let you selectively darken the top, bottom or any half/part of the frame. Usually used to prevent the sky from overexposing in a landscape. The sun can be very bright in Thailand, even on a rainy day...

I'm using Cokin Filter systems because then I need only one CPL, ND and GND filter. I just need the right adapter ring to every lens I want to use them. Only downside is that they cost more than those "screw on" filters.

More about filters
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm

A for your question about lens hood.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Lens-Hoods.aspx

And above in the filter link is more information about purpose of the lens hood, just search.

Don Haines:
I went a different route and got a small hiking backpack with good side access. I am a bit on the tall side and found that none of the photography backpacks could be adjusted properly for a good fit..... but then again, I tend to do week long backpacking trips and have a high standard as to how a pack should feel...

I use a DSLR bag to protect the camera, one of the ones that just barely fits the camera and lens, and carry extra lenses inside the backpack in individual cases sized for the lens.. Carbon fibre is the way to go for tripods, they are more rigid than any of the lightweight tripods. When taking pictures, the carbon fibre tripod may not have the weight to be stable when the wind is blowing.... take a small piece of rope, put the pack under the tripod, and use the rope to put some loading on the tripod. This has the added advantage of nobody can run off with your pack while you are distracted taking pictures.

Also, on the security side, a dedicated camera backpack indicates that there is almost certainly a good camera inside it... be careful if you go that route...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version