I'm basically in the same boat. I started with an XS and upgraded to a 60D (which I love). I then upgrade the glass (50mm f/1.8 to a 50mm f/1.4; 18-55mm to a 24-105mm f/4L; 75-300mm to a 55-250mm to a 70-300mm to a 70-200mm f/4L USM to a 70-200mm f/2.8L USM) and throw in a macro 100mm f/2.8L in for good measure.
And my 60D... it has a few more good years left in it (at the very least it is warrantied for another 1.5 years). So it definitely isn't an emergency to get something new, but I have $500 give or take in funds, and if I elected to sell my 60D I could probably get $600 or so for it. Or if I accidentally destroy it, I will get a credit of $900 or so to a retail store. Either way, it would mean that I could probably get a 70D at a decent price. But I'm not 100% sold that the 70D is going to be a sufficient upgrade to warrant getting a new body.
I was waiting for news of the 6D... and I really not interested in that. If I wait long enough, maybe Canon will offer a 5D mkii for 1400 or so again (20% discount). Maybe they will discount the 6D refurb after a while to around $1000 (which I would jump on). Or Maybe the 5D mk iii will be discounted for a refurb (after another 6 months or so) for around $1800 which I would also be willing to jump on.
Then I think, maybe it would be worth buying an older model Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II 16.7MP used from Amazon for around $1300 or so. Alternatively, the 1Ds mk iii is probably a bit more consistent with today's technology. Considering it both sold for around $6500 when it was launched, buying it at an 80% discount is pretty awesome.
Seriously, how much could technology have advanced in 3 years. The 60D is about 2 years old, and the 1Ds is PRO gear.
So like I said... I'm in the same boat. I know I don't want a 7D and I don't think I want the 70D. And I would only consider the 6D, 5D mkii and mkiii at very specific price points. So I'm not completely lost.