December 22, 2014, 04:45:30 PM

Author Topic: Future of APS-C  (Read 14369 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Future of APS-C
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
D7000 - 16mp APS-C
D800 - 36mp FF - 16mp in 1.5x crop mode (if it's not the same pixel pitch, then it must be pretty close)
D600 - 24mp FF - 10.7mp in 1.5x crop mode

Forgetting something?

D3200 - 24mp APS-C

So, what Nikon FF camera delivers a 24mp image in 1.5x crop mode, thus negating the 'reach advantage' of APS-C?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »
D7000 - 16mp APS-C
D800 - 36mp FF - 16mp in 1.5x crop mode (if it's not the same pixel pitch, then it must be pretty close)
D600 - 24mp FF - 10.7mp in 1.5x crop mode

Forgetting something?

D3200 - 24mp APS-C

So, what Nikon FF camera delivers a 24mp image in 1.5x crop mode, thus negating the 'reach advantage' of APS-C?

I am talking about D7000 having no advantages over D800 other than price. If Sony can make 24mp APS-C sensor, so they can make 54mp FF sensor as well. :)
FF + primes !

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »
The only reasonable APS-C advantage is the price.
Which is a very large advantage. At the risk of repeating myself: "A crop camera is the best/only way of optimizing the following combination of attributes (1) lower price, (2) higher frame rate and (3) smaller pixels (i.e., lots of "pixels per feather").

I recon the scenery will change drastically when better mirrorless cameras will be around - no need for an expensive, sturdy flipping mirror anymore (i.e. more fps are much cheaper to include, just add some faster electronics) and a viewfinder as big as you want it (no need for ff).

The only thing left for ff in the future will be more mp simply because of the larger sensor, but aps-c imho will see a revival after some years of ff advancing until mirrorless systems are ready. And then many people will discover that 25mp aps-c really is enough.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2012, 02:24:42 PM »
I am talking about D7000 having no advantages over D800 other than price.

Ok, but you're the only one talking about that...  One theme in this thread is the 'reach advantage' of APS-C over FF, and while in the specific example you've picked, there is none, in general, there is.  I could as easily say that the 8 MP 20D has no reach advantage over the 21 MP 5DII...and that's an equally meaningless statement if used to support the argument that APS-C does not have a reach advantage over FF, which is the argument you're making.

If Sony can make 24mp APS-C sensor, so they can make 54mp FF sensor as well. :)

Maybe.  But they haven't...and until they do, the statement is irrelevant, and APS-C still has an apparent reach advantage that translates to the ability to get more pixels on target when you're focal length limited.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Canon-F1

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »
i wonder what neuroanatomists never have to work...... retired ones?

honest, every time i visit here the froum is full of new neuroanatomist postings. :)
where the hell do you find the time?

end even enough time to reply, in length, to every BS here.... ?  :o

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
The only reasonable APS-C advantage is the price.
Which is a very large advantage. At the risk of repeating myself: "A crop camera is the best/only way of optimizing the following combination of attributes (1) lower price, (2) higher frame rate and (3) smaller pixels (i.e., lots of "pixels per feather").

I recon the scenery will change drastically when better mirrorless cameras will be around - no need for an expensive, sturdy flipping mirror anymore (i.e. more fps are much cheaper to include, just add some faster electronics) and a viewfinder as big as you want it (no need for ff).

The only thing left for ff in the future will be more mp simply because of the larger sensor, but aps-c imho will see a revival after some years of ff advancing until mirrorless systems are ready. And then many people will discover that 25mp aps-c really is enough.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
I am talking about D7000 having no advantages over D800 other than price.

Ok, but you're the only one talking about that...  One theme in this thread is the 'reach advantage' of APS-C over FF, and while in the specific example you've picked, there is none, in general, there is.  I could as easily say that the 8 MP 20D has no reach advantage over the 21 MP 5DII...and that's an equally meaningless statement if used to support the argument that APS-C does not have a reach advantage over FF, which is the argument you're making.

You see, that's the mystery. :) Why I am the only one talking about that? It seems like nobody cares about making things right. If you want a better future, then things have to change.

If Sony can make 24mp APS-C sensor, so they can make 54mp FF sensor as well. :)

Maybe.  But they haven't...and until they do, the statement is irrelevant, and APS-C still has an apparent reach advantage that translates to the ability to get more pixels on target when you're focal length limited.

Yes, they haven't ... and that's the problem :)
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »

On the other hand, people who use the APS-C cameras for its reach or use better lenses than the kit might have a larger hurdle then merely the price of buying a full frame camera. The case of long tele-s have been discussed ad nauseam. I'd like to add that I can't hope to get the quality of the 17-55 on an EF zoom lesser than the 24-70 II, and that means a difference of $ 1100.

If you want a zoom of that range at a constant f/2.8, that's true enough.  But out of curiosity, a couple of weeks ago I rented a 17-55 f/2.8 for a week to try on a Rebel t3i.  Maybe I got an imperfect copy, but the photos I took with it (not that they were bad) were never quite as good as the photos I've taken in that range on my 5DII with, say, the 24-105L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and Sigma 85 1.4 (photos taken with the latter three, without IS, were all sharper than photos taken with the 17-55 with IS), nor as good as photos I've taken on the Rebel with EF lenses.  (I've no idea how it compares with other EF-S lenses - that's the only one I've tried.)  So maybe it's not quite as bad as you fear....  (Also, while it may not be as good as the 24-70II, the much less expensive new Tamron equivalent is pretty impressive.)

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
Is there a point where an APS-C camera can have the low noise performance like a 5DmkIII? I understand the limitation of an APS-C sensor, smaller sensor=less light to work with. But do you think in the near future there will be a low-light APS-C King?

I think I'm specifically talking about Canon though, Nikon has a reputation for having good low light performers. Never had a real first hand experience with it though?
Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2012, 04:16:10 AM »
But do you think in the near future there will be a low-light APS-C King?

I guess it'll take Canon aps-c at least another 5 years to get to 5d3 level, but I'm certain they'll get there eventually - the limitations of aps-c are lens resolution and pixel density, I don't see why there would be physical any constraints to low light capability.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »
@Marsu42
I guess it'll take Canon aps-c at least another 5 years to get to 5d3 level, but I'm certain they'll get there eventually - the limitations of aps-c are lens resolution and pixel density, I don't see why there would be physical any constraints to low light capability.

If Canon were to release a new APS-C camera with 10MP but 5D3 low light performance would anybody buy it?

7D is niche, and rebel target market get sold on silly things like numbers.

What about an APS-C camera with 6 or 8MP with 1DX low light performance?

I personally don't really need anything more than 6MP if I'm being honest, and I'm sure most of the APS-C market are the same...

Canon reduced the resolution of their premium compacts a while back and have reduced the resolution of their flagship model... all for IQ dividend.

Apart from the benefits in pixel size, the vast majority of EF lenses would better fit with the lower resolution sensors and have more usable aperture range too.

Folk may salivate at the D800, I don't, I wanna go 'backwards'! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »