July 31, 2014, 10:16:55 AM

Poll

5Dc as an entry level FF.

Yay
Nay
NO.

Author Topic: Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?  (Read 16839 times)

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
Re: Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
Its still better than any APS-C camera canon makes.

Thanks, I think I'll make the jump by the end of this year :D

I think the 5Dc IQ is pretty substantial.

Yay. haha. I also wanted to get a 5Dc so that once I started my EF collection, I feel like putting them to waste on an APS-C
Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 02:22:40 AM »
The 1D Mark II is simply an old pro sports camera and quite frankly by today's standards, is no longer a good camera vs. what you can get for your money today.  It's not even worth considering.  You can get a 1D Mark III for just a bit more.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep my head towards the 5Dc. :D

1D2 is very different from 1DS2.  While 1D2 is a sports camera, 1DS2 is more of a studio/landscape camera.  I While I agree that 1D2 is outdated by 1D3 standards, 1DS2 is still better than 1D3 in terms of IQ.

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
1D2 is very different from 1DS2.  While 1D2 is a sports camera, 1DS2 is more of a studio/landscape camera.  I While I agree that 1D2 is outdated by 1D3 standards, 1DS2 is still better than 1D3 in terms of IQ.

Don't get mad at the guy, I actually edited that post after his input on the 1D2. Now, I'm wondering about the 1dsII vs the 5Dc. Do you have any input between the two cameras?

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »

Don't get mad at the guy, I actually edited that post after his input on the 1D2. Now, I'm wondering about the 1dsII vs the 5Dc. Do you have any input between the two cameras?

I'm not mad.  I just made it clearer for others.  As I had said, 1DS2 is a better from 5DC in terms of IQ and almost everything you can think of except weight, LCD (3 vs 3.2 but same resolution) and having to use a computer to set some internal settings as somebody had mentioned before.  You can go to DPReview and DXOmark for comparisons.

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 04:51:11 AM »
I'm not mad.  I just made it clearer for others.  As I had said, 1DS2 is a better from 5DC in terms of IQ and almost everything you can think of except weight, LCD (3 vs 3.2 but same resolution) and having to use a computer to set some internal settings as somebody had mentioned before.  You can go to DPReview and DXOmark for comparisons.

Oh okaaay, sorry about that. I don't want to seem hostile :D I'm friendly I promise. The 1Ds2 does look and sound like a very promising camera, but it's such an expensive purchase, that If I'm desperate enough to eat ramen for 6 months I could afford it. Then again, at the prices that the Canon 1ds2 I can buy a Used Canon 5dmkII.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »

Oh okaaay, sorry about that. I don't want to seem hostile :D I'm friendly I promise. The 1Ds2 does look and sound like a very promising camera, but it's such an expensive purchase, that If I'm desperate enough to eat ramen for 6 months I could afford it. Then again, at the prices that the Canon 1ds2 I can buy a Used Canon 5dmkII.

5D2 price isn't that much more than 1DS2.  Then again, it entirely depends on what you want.  If what you're after is better IQ and low-light performance, then by all means go for 5D2.  5D2 is better than 1DS2 when it comes to that.  I myself also wants either a 5D2 or 6D more than a 1DS2.  I'll just wait next year at least until end of March before deciding what to purchase.  At least by then we'll know what's worth buying.  6D and 5D2 might have gone down in price by that time.  For now, I'll just stick to 500D.  Mine is also gripped.  :)  I find it hard to use if it's not gripped especially when I'm using my 100mm.  If I buy 6D, for sure it will be gripped.

atvinyard

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Camera and Garden
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »
5Dc is what i did to upgrade from a T2i.  I use it much more than the T2i now.  It performs better in low light and has a better noise characteristic at iso 1600. It takes less kindly to underexposure than the T2i.  Got a pretty beat up copy for about $650.  It has worked just fine (knocking on wood).  Image quality is great. I recommend it.  Keep the other one though, if you can afford to.  It's comparatively light and small and is easier to throw in a bag and carry along when you don't feel like lugging around the clunker.
Canon 6D, Canon 5Dc, Rebel T2i, Canon EF-S 10-22, Sigma 35/1.4, Olympus OM Zuiko 21/3.5, 24/2.8,  28/2, 40/2, 50/1.4, 50/3.5 macro, 100/2.8, Canon EF 20/2.8, 35/2 IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 200/2.8L, Contax/Zeiss 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/1.4, 135/2.8, Soligor 135/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
5Dc is what i did to upgrade from a T2i.  I use it much more than the T2i now.  It performs better in low light and has a better noise characteristic at iso 1600. It takes less kindly to underexposure than the T2i.  Got a pretty beat up copy for about $650.  It has worked just fine (knocking on wood).  Image quality is great. I recommend it.  Keep the other one though, if you can afford to.  It's comparatively light and small and is easier to throw in a bag and carry along when you don't feel like lugging around the clunker.

Thanks so much for this info man, this is what I was looking for :D How sharp are the photos compared to your T2i though? I've seen the IQ from the T2i, and it's impressive for such an inexpensive camera.

5D2 price isn't that much more than 1DS2.  Then again, it entirely depends on what you want.  If what you're after is better IQ and low-light performance, then by all means go for 5D2.  5D2 is better than 1DS2 when it comes to that.  I myself also wants either a 5D2 or 6D more than a 1DS2.  I'll just wait next year at least until end of March before deciding what to purchase.  At least by then we'll know what's worth buying.  6D and 5D2 might have gone down in price by that time.  For now, I'll just stick to 500D.  Mine is also gripped.  :)  I find it hard to use if it's not gripped especially when I'm using my 100mm.  If I buy 6D, for sure it will be gripped.

I agree with you, that 6D is really mouth-watering (for an APS-C user) but it's just too bad it's extermely over my budget. WOO! 500D club! I gripped my because I did potraits for my Video productions class, and having a battery grip also helped for stability in my low light shots. I take it off when I'm just going out with my girlfriend, but it stays on most of the time.

symmar22

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 06:32:58 AM »
If your budget is limited, the 5Dc sounds like a good choice, it might seem simple by nowadays standards, but still, it is a very good camera that makes very clean frames. For general photography, it is a very decent performer.

I hear good deals about 5D2 or 6D, but we are talking about 1500-2000$ cameras here. With a bit of patience, you could find a 5Dc for 500-600 $, that's 1/3 of the price. Buy it, use it, and when you'll feel the need for something else, you can still sell it for 400$ and think about the camera you really need (or want). For 1000$ difference, you could as well buy a few good primes, that you will use for a long, long time

Fotofanten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
For me, the 5D classic experience was just that, classic. With the low res joke of a screen (by today standards), only a single focus point that is trustworthy, no live view and no auto ISO, you really have to adapt to the cameras limitations and become one with it, keeping your current settings in mind and moving thoughtfully, calculating the impact of every change in light and so on. The files are gorgeous, and quite robust in post processing, so it's a very rewarding experience, especially in low contrast scenes where you can expose to the right. In fact I doubt they are much worse than the files from the 5D II or even the mk III, unless you print big. The one major drawback for my use was the never ending sensor cleaning sessions. I would not recommend the 5DC unless it came with Copper Hills Basic Kit and the will to use it. The 5DC is for those who value hard earned file quality and price above all else.
Flickr

6D | Samyang 14mm | 35L | 40mm | 50L | 100L

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
For me, the 5D classic experience was just that, classic. With the low res joke of a screen (by today standards), only a single focus point that is trustworthy, no live view and no auto ISO, you really have to adapt to the cameras limitations and become one with it, keeping your current settings in mind and moving thoughtfully, calculating the impact of every change in light and so on. The files are gorgeous, and quite robust in post processing, so it's a very rewarding experience, especially in low contrast scenes where you can expose to the right. In fact I doubt they are much worse than the files from the 5D II or even the mk III, unless you print big. The one major drawback for my use was the never ending sensor cleaning sessions. I would not recommend the 5DC unless it came with Copper Hills Basic Kit and the will to use it. The 5DC is for those who value hard earned file quality and price above all else.

That is the kind of experience that I'm looking for in photography. I just want to have a great experience with a great camera that can produce absolutely stunning photos (don't get me wrong any DSLR can give great output but there's just something about FF that never ceases to amaze me). How bad is the sensor cleaning though? Is it something that I can do at home or do I have to keep going to my local photo store to get it cleaned for $45? I wouldn't mind if I had to clean the sensor myself, it's just I don't really know what I'm doing haha.

If your budget is limited, the 5Dc sounds like a good choice, it might seem simple by nowadays standards, but still, it is a very good camera that makes very clean frames. For general photography, it is a very decent performer.

I hear good deals about 5D2 or 6D, but we are talking about 1500-2000$ cameras here. With a bit of patience, you could find a 5Dc for 500-600 $, that's 1/3 of the price. Buy it, use it, and when you'll feel the need for something else, you can still sell it for 400$ and think about the camera you really need (or want). For 1000$ difference, you could as well buy a few good primes, that you will use for a long, long time

Sadly, my budget is very, very limited but once I can afford a 5Dc (hopefully it's not going to be too late) I'm going enjoy the hell out of it. The 5dmkII and the 6D are cameras that I'd be looking into once I have some good glass to enjoy them with you know what I'm saying?

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
Do your part as a photographer and you can get great result like these I've had with my 5Dc.

No one can bash this cameras IQ. Its solid all the way up to its limit of 3200.

Pic 1 - ISO 50

Pic 2 - ISO 800

Pic 3 - ISO 3200 (Limit)

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 05:11:38 AM »
Do your part as a photographer and you can get great result like these I've had with my 5Dc.

No one can bash this cameras IQ. Its solid all the way up to its limit of 3200.

Pic 1 - ISO 50

Pic 2 - ISO 800

Pic 3 - ISO 3200 (Limit)

Wicked photos man. Those photos are cleaner than a maid's quarters. I'm really impressed with the low light performance of the body. You know, I just recently learned a lot about photography that I didn't know. I now know how to use a speedlight correctly. What i mean is that I know about 2nd Curtain firing, I finally understand what stops are haha. Hopefully I know a lot more stuff about photography once I get my hands on a 5Dc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 05:11:38 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
Nice shots RL... but there has to be some NR going on there... I had a 5Dc and I could get visible noise at 400 iso and needed denoising....

I agree the image the 5D gives is very good.  But I tested the amount of noise it had compared to a T2i and at 1600 ISo the T2i was cleaner. The only advantage the 5Dc has was shallow DoF, rest the T2i won on other criteria.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
Nice shots RL... but there has to be some NR going on there... I had a 5Dc and I could get visible noise at 400 iso and needed denoising....

I agree the image the 5D gives is very good.  But I tested the amount of noise it had compared to a T2i and at 1600 ISo the T2i was cleaner. The only advantage the 5Dc has was shallow DoF, rest the T2i won on other criteria.

I disagree. The 5Dc still has better ISO performance than my 7D. Here is the untouched, full-res, no-NR jpg straight from lightroom. Since lenses are sharper on FF, it makes the noise seem more like grain and not like mush on APS-C. This means you can be more aggressive with NR and keep sharpness than aps-C.

Its a very clean file. Feel free to examine it for your determination.

ISO-3200 is quite usable. Remember, this file has no sharpening or post-processing of any kind.

http://images.us.viewbook.com/9a8bb8062cdfc9b86e057b85a601e742.jpg
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:28:32 PM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »