July 25, 2014, 03:09:48 PM

Poll

5Dc as an entry level FF.

Yay
Nay
NO.

Author Topic: Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?  (Read 16731 times)

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »
I know I've asked this before, but I kind of want a solid answer. I really do want to go FF but seeing as a used 5Dc is the only real alternative I have, I'm asking if it's actually worth it. I'm looking to keep my collection strictly EF glass because I do want to upgrade to a 5Dmk3 one day. I understand the limitations of a 5Dc (sluggish feel, horrible LCD, slow FPS, average AF) Is the 5Dc still a trust worthy FF camera that offers the basic needs of an amatuer street,landscape, and portrait photographer?
Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
No one can tell you if its worth it to you, you have all the facts.  IMHO, the 5D Mark II has dropped so much in price thats a better value.  Keep a eye out for new ones in the $1700 range.
The classic models are starting to get to the age where they fail more frequently, and usually aren't worth the cost to fix, since you can get another for less.
If you happen to find a low usage one that has hadthe mirror fix, for $600 or less, it is likely a ok deal.

PVS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
I still use that camera, it's still great tool if you know how to use one.
For 600-800$ it's the best and the only entry level FF DSLR.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
The 5DC is a brilliant camera and great value pre-owned. You should have plenty of choice as photographers make the upgrade to 5D3. Look out for a low mileage example. FWIW I used my 5DC with it's original shutter up to around 400,000 shutter actautions. I gave it to an assistant who still gives it pretty solid use. However if your budget can stretch to a 5D2, that will always be the better choice.

-PW

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
still use it. within it's limits it great. i even love how easy the menu is because it's not loaded full of BS.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
Yay

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
No.
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
yay...

Rsvdude

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
Excellent entry level FF. Look at the shoots you can take with it. 5d2 and 3 are better but a thousand dollars or two  better?

sjp010

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
Given that your original post demonstrates you're aware of its shortcomings, I give an enthusiastic "yay!"

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
You better go for 5D2.  Since you're upgrading anyway, there's no reason to upgrade to something that will last longer and you will use longer.  5Dc had its merits but it is very hard to find one that's still in pristine condition.  I'd say 5D2 is worth your investment long-term.  I'm also looking to upgrade to FF and I'm looking at either 5D2 or 6D.  I've tested 5Dc and found its IQ almost the same as my 500D (Ti1).  I can't find any reason to upgrade to 5Dc since the primary reason why I want to upgrade is IQ.  Also if you want to stay on budget with regards to lenses, you can stay with mostly prime EF lenses.  They're almost on par with L zooms in terms of quality but of course is inconvenient for usual professional usage (e.g., wedding).  Mostly I'm into portrait, landscape and macro photography thus changing lenses isn't that much of an inconvenience to me.

One other thing, since it seems you still are not invested too much on lenses, you might want to consider Nikon (they've got better and cheaper body but a little bit more expensive lenses) though of course it depends on your preferences.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »
No.

Sounds like someone doesn't want the 5Dc getting too much interest, so the price will fall, so they can pick one up for themselves cheap  :P :P
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

weekendshooter

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:07 PM »
One other thing, since it seems you still are not invested too much on lenses, you might want to consider Nikon (they've got better and cheaper body but a little bit more expensive lenses) though of course it depends on your preferences.

+1! Consider all the choices you have at your disposal - i went from 450D to D700 and I'm loving it, though I'd consider switching back once I can afford a set of L primes. At the risk of offending the fanboys here, please PM me if you have any questions about Nikon :) I spent a good amount of time researching both systems before making my choice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:07 PM »

ryanandrewbruce

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »
Once you get over the hurdle of finding one in good condition, the camera really is pretty wonderful.  I bought one a couple of years ago when I wanted to make the leap to full frame and I was shocked at how much I favored it over my 7d for beautiful, low noise images.  In this day and age it's a pretty stripped down camera but it simply produces great photos.  I still regret having to sell it this past summer (for a brief and shining moment I had a 5Dc, 5D2, and a 5D3).  If you are looking for something that is a great photographic tool at that price point, in my opinion, nothing compares.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:36 AM »
within it's limits it great. i even love how easy the menu is because it's not loaded full of BS.

+1

i love my 5Dc!!! 

as long as i don't use AI servo or go crazy with the iso haha  ;D
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:36 AM »