July 30, 2014, 09:30:22 PM

Poll

5Dc as an entry level FF.

Yay
Nay
NO.

Author Topic: Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?  (Read 16833 times)

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
Re: Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »
One other thing, since it seems you still are not invested too much on lenses, you might want to consider Nikon (they've got better and cheaper body but a little bit more expensive lenses) though of course it depends on your preferences.

+1! Consider all the choices you have at your disposal - i went from 450D to D700 and I'm loving it, though I'd consider switching back once I can afford a set of L primes. At the risk of offending the fanboys here, please PM me if you have any questions about Nikon :) I spent a good amount of time researching both systems before making my choice.

I have tried shooting with Nikons and they're wonderful cameras. When I first started, I really wanted to get a Nikon D7000. It seemed like a really badass camera that kicks low light in the butt. But (teehee) I've gotten used to the settings and ergonomics of a Canon camera. I don't have a lot of glass for my Canon per say but my girlfriend and I share glass because she has a Canon 400d with L glass. I might give Nikon a chance, do you have any good FF recommendations from Nikon?

No one can tell you if its worth it to you, you have all the facts.  IMHO, the 5D Mark II has dropped so much in price thats a better value.  Keep a eye out for new ones in the $1700 range.

I do crave the 5dmkII oh so much, but to be honest I'm not going into to photography as a profession. Spending $1700 doesn't sound like a lot, but to a college student that can buy books and tuition for 2 years. I'm just not ready for the big leagues. Just purely for hobbyistic reasons. I also don't like the fact that the camera has a video mode. I don't know I'm very harsh against DSLR videography now, bad experience with a group of filmmakers can do that.

You better go for 5D2.  Since you're upgrading anyway, there's no reason to upgrade to something that will last longer and you will use longer.  5Dc had its merits but it is very hard to find one that's still in pristine condition.  I'd say 5D2 is worth your investment long-term.  I'm also looking to upgrade to FF and I'm looking at either 5D2 or 6D.  I've tested 5Dc and found its IQ almost the same as my 500D (Ti1).  I can't find any reason to upgrade to 5Dc since the primary reason why I want to upgrade is IQ.

Interesting, I have a T1i too. I love the IQ that my T1i gives me. I've spent so much time with the camera, that I do know how to get pretty Tack Sharp photos with my kit lens. I would be nice to have that kind of IQ on a FF camera that can handle low light. Do you have any sample images that show no difference between a 5Dc and a 500d?

(I know that the T1i does handle low light pretty decently, but I don't like shooting at 1600 or above, it just looks really dull and bleached out from the noise. It could just be my eyes though.)

Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 03:05:16 AM »
So far there are:
(estimated from the good posts)

Yay: 6 people
Nay: 3 people

Solid NO. : 1 person.

I should have added, as a college student, spending about $1700 on a 5dmkII is extremely out of my budget at the moment. I could use that money to pay for tuition and books for 2 years, and about 5 packs of Ramen a day :D

In all seriousness, I'm not really looking forward to spending that much on something that I'm not doing as a profession. I'm just looking for a great entry point and staying at there to the point where I have refined my skills as a photographer as much as possible.

-PS: I'll put a poll here, that way it's more cleaner haha

jayvo86

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 04:24:32 AM »
It depends on your needs. Keep in mind tethering is no longer supported with LR on Lion/ML. However, I don't have AF issues. I even use the out focus points on my 50 1.2L to get in-focus shots.

That said...The 6D is very tempting with it's extra low light sensitivity and light weight.

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:42 AM »
It depends on your needs. Keep in mind tethering is no longer supported with LR on Lion/ML. However, I don't have AF issues. I even use the out focus points on my 50 1.2L to get in-focus shots.

That said...The 6D is very tempting with it's extra low light sensitivity and light weight.

can you go into a little more detail, about this whole LR Lion/ML stuff? I don't know what it means. haha.

PavelR

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 06:27:23 AM »
And what about used 1Ds II?

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »

can you go into a little more detail, about this whole LR Lion/ML stuff? I don't know what it means. haha.
Tethering is connecting to the camera over USB and seeing live-view, controlling settings and taking shots. You'll only be able to download images from the camera. I'm sure there's other examples but tethering is mainly handy for studio situations or if your camera is setup in an unusual position where you can't get at the controls.

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

I actually tried out a 5Dc a few years ago, as a cheap way to get into full-frame.

I had two problems with the 5Dc which led to me immediately reselling it about two weeks later.

1)  small, low-resolution rear LCD.  I know you already know this, but it was a big deal to me.
2)  No live-view.  None at all.  This was the deal breaker for me.  I don't care about movies, but there are times where I need to put the mirror up and use live-view to take a shot.

gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »
I know I've asked this before, but I kind of want a solid answer. I really do want to go FF but seeing as a used 5Dc is the only real alternative I have, I'm asking if it's actually worth it. I'm looking to keep my collection strictly EF glass because I do want to upgrade to a 5Dmk3 one day. I understand the limitations of a 5Dc (sluggish feel, horrible LCD, slow FPS, average AF) Is the 5Dc still a trust worthy FF camera that offers the basic needs of an amatuer street,landscape, and portrait photographer?

I've shot the 5Dc for years and In my taste's, produced the best digital files that are most similar to film. If I had to do it all over again, I'd skip the Rebel series and straight to a 5Dc. You can add a focus screen for fast primes which my 5D3 doesn't offer.  >:(

Its just a camera, No extra fluff. I didn't have Liveview on my OM-1, because that's what distance scales are for.  ::)

You can buy a 5Dc, 50mm 1.4, 100mm f/2 for just the price of a MK2.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:42:50 PM by RLPhoto »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »
Terrible idea.  Save yourself some trouble and get a 5D Mark II, even if it's used.  Huge jump in performance and well worth the extra money.  Choice 2 for me would be a 1Ds Mark II.  Both are only slightly more expensive but much higher/better IQ.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
Shot the 5Dc everytime until just upgrading to the MKIII.  Highly recommend.  Lack of live view is a bit annoying at times, but the files are great.  I'm having a hard time convincing myself to sell it now that I have the MKIII. 

The MKII will run maybe twice the price.  Also great IQ and newer menus and live view....just have to decide if that is worth  a couple hundred bucks to you.

-Brian

PVS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
no AA option, nuff said

jayvo86

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
I'm still rocking the 5D. Yes, there are some features that I'd like to have that newer cameras offer. (Tehtering, Live View, 100 percent VF, etc...)

However, I'm still working on my glass collection. Canon doesn't really have anything that speaks to me on a personal level and I'm not really making much money.

Being that I own a FF camera and could possibly get a back up for 600-700 bucks, it makes sense for me to stick with it until I really NEED an upgrade.

Besides...look at the attached image of my son.

For a camera that isn't supposed to be good at high iso, not great at focusing with outer focus points, and a lens that's a little soft wide open this isn't bad.

Canon 5D, 50 1.2L @ 1.2, ISO 3200, Outer focus point used for focus.

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 03:04:17 AM »
I'm still rocking the 5D. Yes, there are some features that I'd like to have that newer cameras offer. (Tehtering, Live View, 100 percent VF, etc...)

However, I'm still working on my glass collection. Canon doesn't really have anything that speaks to me on a personal level and I'm not really making much money.

Being that I own a FF camera and could possibly get a back up for 600-700 bucks, it makes sense for me to stick with it until I really NEED an upgrade.

Besides...look at the attached image of my son.

For a camera that isn't supposed to be good at high iso, not great at focusing with outer focus points, and a lens that's a little soft wide open this isn't bad.

Canon 5D, 50 1.2L @ 1.2, ISO 3200, Outer focus point used for focus.

What a cute kid :D I like that shot a lot. Especially the fact that it was shot at 3200 :D

no AA option, nuff said

What's so good/bad about having no AA?

Shot the 5Dc everytime until just upgrading to the MKIII.  Highly recommend.  Lack of live view is a bit annoying at times, but the files are great.  I'm having a hard time convincing myself to sell it now that I have the MKIII. 

The MKII will run maybe twice the price.  Also great IQ and newer menus and live view....just have to decide if that is worth  a couple hundred bucks to you.

-Brian

I don't like using live view. It eats up my batteries for my 500d, and it feels slow because the mirror is up. haha. I like having a physical mirror that clicks and clacks and stuff.

Upgrading to the 5dmkII does sound extremely nice, but I'm not going to anytime soon. I get paid minimum age and make less than $5000 a year, I still live with my parents, I have a girlfriend and I'm going to college. *I'm a typical 18 year old, and having extremely professional equipment at this age seems quite insensible

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 03:04:17 AM »

JohanCruyff

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
It was my first and is so far my only DSLR, bought (used) 2 years ago.

I must admit I sometimes miss the much better rear LCD, Live view, sensor-shaker, the wider ISO range and... not many other features.

For the price of a current 600d / T3i, i think it is still a good value for money.
Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

keithcooper

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
Re: Canon 5D as an entry for FF? yay or nay?
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 04:14:43 AM »
Yes, particularly if you find one with light use (they do appear) - of course, a lot depends on what sorts of photography you're in to...

They are getting on a bit though, so care is needed

I still keep my 1Ds as a backup camera - the batteries run down rather faster than a modern camera, but it's actually just fine still for a lot of my work (quite a lot of my commercial work is only ever printed in brochures, or used on the web). Of course, getting an old 1 series will get you used to 1 series AF, handling and a very bright clear viewfinder... this may build arm strength and additionally, adversely affect your appreciation of the XXD and XXXD range ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon 5D as an entry for FF? yay or nay?
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 04:14:43 AM »