December 03, 2016, 11:06:35 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM  (Read 85544 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM
« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »
What are your thoughts on it compared to any other wide angles you own?

Hope you had a nice time in France wile you were there.

I did have a nice time, although photography time was limited (I was there for a scientific conference).

Composition is challenging with the 11-24!  There were a few shots where I used the 11-24L and also the TS-E 17L for the same scene, and often ended up preferring the TS-E image.  Here's an example, the first with the TS-E 17 and the second with the 11-24 (I didn't actually process the latter, to remove flare etc.).

"Hôtel de ville de Tours"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 8s, f/8, ISO 100
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
    • Jack Douglas Waller
« Reply #331 on: November 08, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
If possible I'd like to see a higher rez 11-24 with adjustments, to compare.  Right now it looks pretty bad.  How close to the flowers could you get and still maintain focus?  No experience here so just a dumb comment, does the T/S make the scene look more "boxy"?  Great shot, very impressive full size.

Jack
6D   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II  1DX II

R1-7D

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #332 on: November 11, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »
What are your thoughts on it compared to any other wide angles you own?

Hope you had a nice time in France wile you were there.

I did have a nice time, although photography time was limited (I was there for a scientific conference).

Composition is challenging with the 11-24!  There were a few shots where I used the 11-24L and also the TS-E 17L for the same scene, and often ended up preferring the TS-E image.  Here's an example, the first with the TS-E 17 and the second with the 11-24 (I didn't actually process the latter, to remove flare etc.).

"Hôtel de ville de Tours"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 8s, f/8, ISO 100

That is my feeling as well: composition is a challenge. I find the more I use the lens the better I am getting at filling the frame, however. It also helps that I'm living in London right now and practically everything is old and interesting here, so the lens works beautifully for shots inside old buildings, or even wide angle street shots.

Again, both of your shots are great! I too prefer the T/S one, however.

The 11-24 is an interesting lens to use, if nothing else.

Cameras: 1DX II, Canon M. Lenses: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, EF 85mm f/1.2 EFL II, 2X III, EF 11-24mm f/4L, Flashes MT-24 580EXII

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #333 on: November 12, 2016, 04:36:13 AM »

Thanks!  As did I (evidently!).  Nice shots, I particularly like the second one.

It also helps that I'm living in London right now and practically everything is old and interesting here, so the lens works beautifully for shots inside old buildings, or even wide angle street shots.

True...I'm in Paddington right now, lots of interesting stuff about.  But I'm only here for a 2-day scientific conference and flights in/out are 3 hrs on either side of the meeting, so I traveled light with just my M2 + M11-22 and a gorillapod.  I was able to get out for a short time at evening blue hour yesterday, was hoping to go out again this morning for blue/golden hour but as you can see outside that was rained out.

R1-7D

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #334 on: November 12, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »

Thanks!  As did I (evidently!).  Nice shots, I particularly like the second one.

It also helps that I'm living in London right now and practically everything is old and interesting here, so the lens works beautifully for shots inside old buildings, or even wide angle street shots.

True...I'm in Paddington right now, lots of interesting stuff about.  But I'm only here for a 2-day scientific conference and flights in/out are 3 hrs on either side of the meeting, so I traveled light with just my M2 + M11-22 and a gorillapod.  I was able to get out for a short time at evening blue hour yesterday, was hoping to go out again this morning for blue/golden hour but as you can see outside that was rained out.

Thanks!

It's a shame the rain didn't hold out for you this morning. So far we've been mostly getting cold weather and not too much rain. Hopefully the remainder of your time here is enjoyable. :)

I have to say that I am quite impressed with how the 11-24 handles flaring. The Buckingham shot above, as you can see, was pointed directly at the sun. Even when the light source is coming from a harsh angle the lens controls flaring well too. I used to have a Tokina 16-28mm and I always had to be very careful to mind where the sun in the sky was.
Cameras: 1DX II, Canon M. Lenses: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, EF 85mm f/1.2 EFL II, 2X III, EF 11-24mm f/4L, Flashes MT-24 580EXII

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #335 on: November 12, 2016, 08:44:47 AM »
I have to say that I am quite impressed with how the 11-24 handles flaring. The Buckingham shot above, as you can see, was pointed directly at the sun. Even when the light source is coming from a harsh angle the lens controls flaring well too. I used to have a Tokina 16-28mm and I always had to be very careful to mind where the sun in the sky was.

In the 11-24 shot of the Tours City Hall, there's a pretty harsh flare artifact you can see in the upper right corner, a couple of streaks and a bright oval just off the upper right corner of the building.  There was a streetlight directly above the camera, just out of the frame.  But it would be easy to clone out, and importantly the veiling glare is pretty minimal.  The TS-E 17L is a little worse with flare than the 11-24 (I didn't have to clone it out of the shot, though - with the narrower AoV I am able to block the light source with my hand during the exposure without my hand being in the frame).

R1-7D

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »

In the 11-24 shot of the Tours City Hall, there's a pretty harsh flare artifact you can see in the upper right corner, a couple of streaks and a bright oval just off the upper right corner of the building.  There was a streetlight directly above the camera, just out of the frame.  But it would be easy to clone out, and importantly the veiling glare is pretty minimal.  The TS-E 17L is a little worse with flare than the 11-24 (I didn't have to clone it out of the shot, though - with the narrower AoV I am able to block the light source with my hand during the exposure without my hand being in the frame).

The flaring in your 11-24mm shot is still perfectly acceptable to me, and indeed, cloning it out wouldn't be too much of a problem. I've not used the 17mm T/S extensively enough (only once indoors, actually) to comment on its flaring, but your point is interesting to note. Taking account of the wider angle of view, I assume it's the new coatings on the front element of the 11-24 that are helping it along.

Unfortunately, bulbous front elements always have some trade offs . Another issue is the lack of simple screw-on filters. Despite that, though, the 11-24mm is a brilliant lens. I'm really enjoying my copy, and I might even go so far to say it's my current favourite lens.  ;D

Hope to see more of your shots while using it!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:46:50 AM by R1-7D »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »