December 19, 2014, 04:20:44 PM

Author Topic: Radio in New Canon Flashes? [CR2]  (Read 13024 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Radio in New Canon Flashes? [CR2]
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:08 AM »

The new feature?

I’m told Canon has prototype flashes with radio receivers built in. They’ll be triggered by an updated ST-E2. Yes, wireless radio Canon flashes, by Canon.

I had been told previously that Canon’s next flagship flash would have new and innovative technology built in, this could be that.

No ETA on an announcement.

5D Mark II/III

Lots of stock shortage reports of the 5D Mark II. No, it’s not being replaced anytime soon. Canon cannot provide enough stock at the current moment. Adorama does have 5D Mark II’s in stock for $2699.

There were some rumors floating around about a May announcement of a 5D Mark III. I’ll say “not likely”.

1D Mark IV stock.

1D Mark IV’s, don’t expect to see many of them well into the summer.

I’ve been busy

I’ve been busy with other ventures recently. Mainly moving Lens Rentals Canada to new digs and ramping up for the wedding season rentals.

Most of what is coming my way is about stock levels.

Announcements

I’m told from a good source that Canon is discussing the delaying of new product announcements until they can at least deliver what was announced last year. Everything is still up in the air as companies still don’t have a firm grasp on what will happen with their ability to manufacture in the coming months.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Radio in New Canon Flashes? [CR2]
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:08 AM »

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
Re: Radio in New Canon Flashes? [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
I take  it that these new flashes radio will be compatible with the Pocket Wizard series. That would be a nice addition. I've held back from buying the Canon flashes this might be a turn around point for me.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

dg28

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:28:26 AM »
Canon have always said that they would not want to produce a piece of kit that could not be used all over the world. The issue with radio triggered flash is that the frequencies used in the USA and Europe are very different - US Pocket Wizards are illegal in the UK and most of Europe which would make this wonderful idea very tricky to actually implement.

For the record, I hope that it is true but the technical and regulatory difficulties mean that it could just be wishful thinking.

A new and much better version of the ST-E2 is more likely, sadly...

Flake

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 04:18:19 AM »
While it might be true that US Wizzards are illegal in the EU that doesn't appear to be the case the other way around and the US frequency is a free choice rather than an allocated frequency.  Japan on the other hand may well be an allocated frequency which is different.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/frequency/

433MHz appears to be the most common frequency, and that is also available in the US, it might be a possibility with a GPS camera to automatically switch frequency to the country of use, although these would be very limited.

Of course range is going to be the big issue especially if they're E-TTL, Pocket Wizzards Flex TT5 have a range of only10 metres !  not much of an improvement over the current infra red system. Canon will have to engineer the flash to emit less RF noise.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/

I for one think that the ST-E2 is a clunky expensive solution, it's becomming less relevant as functionality is built into the body, surely Canon would build any new remote system into the camera, and drop the old infra red system, leaving the ST-E2 as the transmitter solution for those with older flash units.

pkn

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:43:06 AM »
I'm not familiar with pros and cons for use of different frequencies for different applications, but would it be feasible to use the wifi bands (802.11) for transmitting the required information between the camera and the flashes? This might extend the functionality of the wifi-grips and hence increase the sales of a fairly expensive piece of kit.
PK

JohnnyWashngo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:40:38 AM »
As PKN above said, I would assume that the new system would use one of the common wireless frequencies so as to maintain usable in all parts of the world - one of the 802.11 variations or something like Bluetooth would be obvious choices.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
Pocket Wizzards Flex TT5 have a range of only10 metres !  not much of an improvement over the current infra red system.

Yes, with an unshielded 580EX II.  With my 430EX II's, the PWs trigger just fine out to several hundred meters.  Even with a shortened range, RF has the benefit of not needing to be line of sight, working in bright sunlight, working with the flash inside a modifier, etc.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »

Bob Howland

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:44:11 AM »
Maybe it'll use "Bluetooth Low Energy". My question is whether Canon will introduce a small, cheap module to attach to the foot of existing flashes (e.g., 580EX2) to allow them to be used in the new system. If they don't, will third party vendors do it instead? The new system would presumably simplify using slave flashes but I'm not too keen on replacing the four 550EX's and one 580EX2 that I own now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:46:39 AM by Bob Howland »

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
As PKN above said, I would assume that the new system would use one of the common wireless frequencies so as to maintain usable in all parts of the world - one of the 802.11 variations or something like Bluetooth would be obvious choices.

I have my doubts that Canon would use 802.11[a/b/g/n], however it is possible that they might use one of the ISM bands (which are used by WiFi products).  Some wireless flash triggers (like the Elinchrom Skyport) do already use the 2.4GHz band.  The only potential issue is interference with WiFi equipment, as users would now potentially need to ensure that they set their flash and WiFi equipment to use different channels.  Potentially if you are in an area where the ISM band is already crowded with WiFi signals, you may have problems operating a flash trigger system.

For going wireless, the ISM band may still be one of the best bets though.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »
Canon have always said that they would not want to produce a piece of kit that could not be used all over the world. The issue with radio triggered flash is that the frequencies used in the USA and Europe are very different - US Pocket Wizards are illegal in the UK and most of Europe which would make this wonderful idea very tricky to actually implement.

For the record, I hope that it is true but the technical and regulatory difficulties mean that it could just be wishful thinking.

A new and much better version of the ST-E2 is more likely, sadly...

I agree. Given the quirky legal and regulatory issues around the world built in radio wireless systems seem pretty unlikely. As a musician I've been through this general problem a few times already. You buy wireless instrument transmitters or microphones and then you can't legally use them everywhere. And a few months later some regulatory body sells the frequency to some cell phone provider or new digital TV service and you end up with a rack full of electronic junk.

Maybe not as convenient but better to keep wireless systems separate from cameras and flashes. Updating the IR wireless system would still be a plus (more and all groups on the ST-E2, more individual control, other ratios method, better receivers in more places, etc)

5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »

Well, building an RX for PW frequencies might be possible - if nothing is sent it doesn't annoy anybody.
ISM 2,4GHz and 5,8GHz should be ok for non legacy use.

I wonder how interaction with legacy devices would be handled - perhaps an ST-E2 with radio in, optical out? Having to buy radio feet for every unit would hinder acceptance.

And more important to me: the PW AC3 offers much better control over the setup, back to ratios and strict seperation of TTL and manual power?

Justin

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
Really! Canon needs to deliver on what they promised us in the last nine months. Super tele refresh. And the fisheye zoom. And don't forget the 200-400 f/4 1.4x!!

Bodies can't come soon enough for many of us, but we'll just have to wait.

Other new lenses can't come soon enough, but I have a hunch I'll be on this site repeating myself for the next few years on the last two especially (24-70 2.8 IS, 14-24 2.8, 85 1.4 IS).

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Just remember they (canon) are still recovering from the quake, repairing factories, and trying to return to any sense of normality.  I dont know how their government and safety reguglations, however if they're anything like the US, they may not even be allowed to operate in any of the heavily damaged factories until the structure is deemed repaired and safe.  This includes the big factory that deals with L lenses and such.  Until everything is repaired and back online, it's anyones guess how long it will take to get caught up and even longer until they start releasing new cameras/announcements.  A lot can change between now and then so i wouldn't get too excited just about this too much.  Once they are back to normal, then by all means get excited.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »
Wifi and Bluetooth have been problematic in the past for quick time critical information flow - flash sync speed.
Though the frequencies themselves might be used at low powers.

Other options are multiband radio's like you get in mobile phones to work in many locations - or mayebe even plug-in radio card's for different regions.

But if they licenced PW technology then the camera could have a PW transmitter fitted and the flash could be the receiver - or vis versa in mew bodies or with the new  ST-E2.
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »
I think 2011 is pretty much going to be a quiet year in terms of new products (I can't imagine how they're going to get more power when people will have to depend on air con during the summer month. BTW, Japan just announced they're shutting down another nuke plant in Hamaoka - which isn't even in the disaster area...)

Also, wouldn't adding the radio receiver or whatever wireless option shorten battery life even further? Carrying loads of AA batteries is already a pain as it is...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »