July 29, 2014, 02:04:02 PM

Author Topic: Radio in New Canon Flashes? [CR2]  (Read 12407 times)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: Radio in New Canon Flashes? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
If it does use ZigBee, or any other open RF communications standard, it will be a hackers playground; which means the potential for all kinds of cool 3rd party and homebrew toys.

The only problem I see with ZigBee is there are three different frequency bands specified. 2.4 GHz worldwide, 915 MHz Americas and 868 MHz Europe.  It would probably make sense to break spec and just use 2.4GHz in all regulatory domains, despite the advantages of the lower frequencies available in US/EU.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
Really! Canon needs to deliver on what they promised us in the last nine months. Super tele refresh. And the fisheye zoom. And don't forget the 200-400 f/4 1.4x!!

Bodies can't come soon enough for many of us, but we'll just have to wait.

Other new lenses can't come soon enough, but I have a hunch I'll be on this site repeating myself for the next few years on the last two especially (24-70 2.8 IS, 14-24 2.8, 85 1.4 IS).

Canon stated the 200-400mm f/4 w/1.4x was a prototype, meaning it is not something about to be released.  As for the announced lenses, they are delayed (like all Canon and Nikon products made in Japan), because of the consequences of the quake and tsunami.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »
A large high capacity and high voltage battery can be created, if metz can, canon can.  There are a lot of things I would LOVE to have on flashed but after moving from metz to canon, the AA thing has slowly began to irk me. 

Have you ever disassembled one? Its a bunch of AAs soldered together to prevent easy replacement or proper cell maintainance. Guess why my large Metz flashes got connectors for RC racing packs - approximatly three times the endurance, easier management and much faster charging at a fraction of the costs.
The joys and benefits of proprietary batteries. ;)

And for the LP-E6  and its counterparts- paying 10 times the price of the actual cells only to loose the ability to use them across brands and even devices...sounds like a bad deal to me.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
A large high capacity and high voltage battery can be created, if metz can, canon can.  There are a lot of things I would LOVE to have on flashed but after moving from metz to canon, the AA thing has slowly began to irk me. 

Have you ever disassembled one? Its a bunch of AAs soldered together to prevent easy replacement or proper cell maintainance. Guess why my large Metz flashes got connectors for RC racing packs - approximatly three times the endurance, easier management and much faster charging at a fraction of the costs.
The joys and benefits of proprietary batteries. ;)

And for the LP-E6  and its counterparts- paying 10 times the price of the actual cells only to loose the ability to use them across brands and even devices...sounds like a bad deal to me.

No, i never had the inclination to disassemble a rechargeable battery, I always left that to people who knows what the heck they are doing.  If you say they are AA's soldered together, I would have to take you word, however with that said... In the days of film cameras, they ALL had batteries that were consumable... They weren't AA, they were a proprietary camera battery (unless you had the AA power booster)... Those batteries, while not as easy to find as AA's, were common place, but there was enough grumbling with those that one of the big selling points of the early digital cameras, the D30, D60, 10D... included rechargeable batteries... they started selling like hot cakes... (that and the lure of digital and no film)...

Flashes really haven't evolved too much from the film days... The TTL technology advanced, slightly, and the power was increased by a handful of meters, woo hoo...  I just hope that along with the evolution and the next advancements in flash technology, with the addition of other features and so forth, that this is one of them.  If it is, I, personally, would trade my flashes so i can buy the new flashes in a heartbeat. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
Flashes really haven't evolved too much from the film days

I guess that depends on your age and perspective. In my time I've seen flashes evolve much more than cameras.

I'm not discounting the changes that digital cameras have brought, but the basics of how it all works haven't changed that much. We're recording on memory cards instead of film and we're getting instant feedback and more control, but from my perspective, that all pales in comparison to what I can do with strobes today.

Try shooting any event with a potato masher strobe when you have to estimate distances, calculate a guide number, wait forever for recycle time, keep from accidentally moving the shutter speed dial above 1/60th of a second, hope that the batteries last at least through the first quarter of the event and pray that the worthless little cord connecting the camera to the strobe is still working an hour after you've checked it out and packed up for the assignment (hint: it probably won't be working). Forget about syncing more than one unit or doing anything else remotely creative with a strobe, unless you spend hundreds or even thousands more on slaves, flash meters, Polaroid backs, etc. etc. And, of course, you really won't know if it all worked until it's too late, when you develop the film.

I can't believe how fantastic today's strobes are. The fact that for less than the cost of a moderately priced "L" lens, I can buy a setup that lets me trigger multiple strobes and, through the camera, adjust the output levels, balance ambient light with the strobes and never once have to guess how many feet or meters I am from the subject makes me a very happy camper.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »