November 01, 2014, 12:47:26 AM

Author Topic: Working with film  (Read 3073 times)

crasher8

Re: Working with film
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
This is a high school student and I assume a small budget here guys. The EOS 3 may be found for 300 if you're lucky but it won't be E+ at that amount. Let's find out the OP's range and offer advice accordingly. PLus by not using existing EF lenses that add's $$$ to the mix.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 01:47:10 AM »
I got hooked on photography shooting for my high-school yearbook staff.  After my freshman year, I bought an FTb-n w/ 50 1.4 new and carried it just about every day for the next three years.  I learned how to shoot, how to anticipate the shot, and how to see the shot with this camera.  When you can't rely on auto-focus or auto-exposure, you learn how to anticipate the movement of the subject and  changes in lighting.  Out of necessity, you learn how to work the shutter speed and depth-of-field to your advantage.  Your goal is to learn how to see the image and how to work the mechanics of the camera to capture it as you see it – so don't rely on a body that does this thinking for you.

Fully manual bodies are great learning tools.  If you can find an AE1 and a couple FD lenses, they are great options for film.  Note that manual focus with an AE1 or an FTb is a lot easier than with a current DSLR because of the split image or micro-prism focusing screens that these bodies used.  If you go the FD body route, look for an AE1 or later model "electronic" body.  The FTb is a great body, but it's mechanically timed shutter may not be as accurate as it once was.  (If the seller confirms the calibration of the shutter on a used FTb-n – then grab it.)

If you stick with the EF route, go simple.  A Rebel G would work great.  Set it to center-point focussing and manual exposure.  Find a body that relinquishes control of the shutter, the f-stop, and the focus point to you.  With DSLR's the body's sensor plays a huge role in IQ.  With film-based SLR's, the IQ is in the film.  Don't get hung up on finding a film body with DSLR features.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot G16, S100

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
I'm good at manual, and I'm not a beginner.
Budget is around 300 dollars or less.
As long as the camera can shoot, isn't that hard to use, and has an ef mount so I can use some l glass, it's great, but I do want to avoid rebel type cameras, and the élan 7.
I'm thinking the eos 5 is the way to go

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »

Fully manual bodies are great learning tools.  If you can find an AE1 and a couple FD lenses, they are great

I think you mean the AT-1, which was manual.  The AE-1, AV-1, and A-1 were auto exposure.

The A series suffers from "shutter brake wheeze", but its easily corrected.  FTb/n's were tanks, suffered from a failure in the meter coupling.

Keep in mind the FTb/n and F1 batteries are no longer truly available.  The mercury battery has been replaced with ... lithium? ... I forget which.  It was a 1.35v battery, and the replacement throws the meters off.  Some meters can be calibrated to the new voltage, some cannot, due to the linearity of the mechanisms.

The A series took the four into one stacked silver battery - still available.

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
What about something like an EOS 620? I still have mine, which I bought new.

Edit: I think one big difference between this series and later/"pro" film cameras is the older ones will not drive lenses with IS... not sure if the AF part on an IS lens will work. I don't have a battery laying around to check on mine.

But, if all you need is basic picture taking capability, the price is certainly within your budget.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:51:49 AM by danski0224 »
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
I have aproblem,

Im starting a photography class in my high school next year, but the first year is film only.
I want to find a cheap canon film slr that is a descent camera, but won't break the bank, and the price won't hurt me if I dont use the camera for a long time.
I need to make sure it has a canon ef mount, or else I can't use my lenses.

EOs 650.  ::)

No but seriously and EOS-3 is great but I have a el cheapo rebel 2000 that fine.

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
CharlieB, you're right that the AE-1 had auto-exposure modes (hence the "AE"), but it's my reference point for the "electronic" bodies because it was the first to replace mechanical timing with electronics.  It was also the most popular -- likely more widely available.  The AE-1 did have manual mode.  I used them for many years and they lived in manual, so I still tend to think of them as manual.

Of course, this does prove that you can explore the benefits of manual with more advanced bodies.

SJTstudios, if your good at manual, then you already know what I was driving at and it does make sense to get the most you can get and think long-term.

CharlieB makes a good point on batteries.  The FTb's needed button-cells for the light meter, but could still function without them.  These are still fun cameras (or maybe I'm too nostalgic for the classics).  I don't know how readily available the AE-1 batteries still are – without them, the camera is useless.  It does pay to look into battery availability and future potential (if you can guess at this).
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot G16, S100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
Just get a Rebel G (EOS 500N).  It's small, light weight, and has the manual controls that you will no doubt be required to use in your photography class.  If you're only going to use it for 1 year, then the financial outlay will be next to nothing.

Save your cash for digital, because those cameras will bleed you dry.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

dafrank

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • davidfranklinphoto.com
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »
My recommendation is to find a good clean EOS 620. Takes all EOS EF lenses, has autofocus, sturdy metal body, large contrasty viewfinder and simple controls, with easily replaceable battery and lots and lots of old examples around - try Craigs List or Ebay, if not local camera shops used departments, camera shows and thrift shops. A very nice clean one will fetch between $30.00 to $120.00, depending on who is selling it and where it's selling. This was a high mid-end enthusiast camera when it came out. See" http://kenrockwell.com/canon/film-bodies/eos620.htm to learn more specific details. Generally, it's going to sell for much less than any of the pro EOS cameras of its era, or the ones from a bit later, and be almost as good performing and rugged in use as the pro models, except in autofocus performance, which you should probably not really be using very often anyway, if you really want to learn to master photography, rather than learn to pilot an auto-function camera. They don't make mid-level cameras with construction like the 620 anymore. I bought my son this camera with a new cheap "normal" zoom to go with it for his introductory photo class about 5 years ago  and the thing is still going strong. The camera body was $75.00 from a good local camera store and the less than stellar 3rd party zoom lens was another $75.00 or so. Your experience will vary. And don't be afraid of getting a used beat-up looking and now discontinued model Canon EOS lens (I coundn't find one when when my son needed it); if it works properly, the bad cosmetics are only acting in your favor, lowering the price for you because many others would be too worried to take a chance on the bad cosmetics.

If you want even better construction, can live without autofocus and don't mind digging around for some older FD lenses later on, get an even older top-of-the-line professional Canon F-1 - or the second series "new" F-1 - with a lens or three in a kit for sale on Ebay, or from the same sources mentioned above. That was a great camera and using it as an all manual camera (both focus and exposure) is very very easy and a great experience for anyone trying to learn the actual craft of photography for the first time.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of the later, flimsy plastic EOS Rebels, which were comparatively poorly constructed and not as nice in many other ways.

Regards,
David
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:25:01 PM by dafrank »
Outcomes are more important than intentions.
See my work at: http://www.davidfranklinphoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »