September 16, 2014, 09:36:42 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D3 vs. Nikon D600  (Read 26980 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D3 vs. Nikon D600
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »

The only metric I go by is keepers when I get home on my computer, and so far yes,  the 5D3 and 1D4 have had a fair share of misses, but the 1DX I have had absolutely no misses.
[/quote]

Aye. I've heard the same thing from all the camera reviewers as well, including those who have historically been die-hard Nikon users: The 1D X AF system is unbeatable.

Even in the bird and wildlife photography arena, which is admittedly a lot smaller, both Canon and Nikon users have raved about the 1D X AF system. I've even read a couple reviews that indicate the 1D X's facial recognition works with animals and birds, often in profile. O_o As bird photographer myself, I'd LOVE to get my hands on a 1D X, but as I don't make much money off of my photography, its really hard to justify the $7000 expenditure (especially on top of the $10k+ glass I'd need to go along with it.)
[/quote]

show me evidence
[/quote]

I don't owe you any evidence, because I really don't give a crap what you think, honestly.  All I know is that I have a pair of 1DX's, I'm making money, and I'm not having any misses.  I'm happy.  Are you?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 04:59:08 AM »
I'm surprised  of the poor skills
I don't thnk you can judge skills from that vide. it was more about the impressions from someone who had always used Nikon cameras (along with a Canon shooter), but perhaps we could see your skills. Once you get past a certain point, cameras used are irrelevant. It's about how you use it and knowing how to use it to get the best out of it.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »
I think Mikael Risedal has a point, in absolute terms, but he's taking it (or trying to) to a level of scientific precision that is of scarce relevance on the field. It's like arguing if you should put 100g or 101g of sugar in your cake.

Sony sensors perform better, we all know it. If someone had to upgrade to FF right now I would advise him to buy a D600 over a 6D, that's sure. The 5D3 is quite another camera though, with a set of features that are fundamental for the professional. That said, an amateur would find much more value on the D600, while the professional can't rely on it when it's time to nail the shot that makes you bring home the dinner.

My 2 cents.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »

The only metric I go by is keepers when I get home on my computer, and so far yes,  the 5D3 and 1D4 have had a fair share of misses, but the 1DX I have had absolutely no misses.

Aye. I've heard the same thing from all the camera reviewers as well, including those who have historically been die-hard Nikon users: The 1D X AF system is unbeatable.

Even in the bird and wildlife photography arena, which is admittedly a lot smaller, both Canon and Nikon users have raved about the 1D X AF system. I've even read a couple reviews that indicate the 1D X's facial recognition works with animals and birds, often in profile. O_o As bird photographer myself, I'd LOVE to get my hands on a 1D X, but as I don't make much money off of my photography, its really hard to justify the $7000 expenditure (especially on top of the $10k+ glass I'd need to go along with it.)

show me evidence
[/quote]

I don't owe you any evidence, because I really don't give a crap what you think, honestly.  All I know is that I have a pair of 1DX's, I'm making money, and I'm not having any misses.  I'm happy.  Are you?
[/quote]

One thing are sure, the Sony sensors are unbeatable today, that we can measure.
I have not seen any  AF tests  who are valid so the statements like yours are highly subjective like Volvo is the best car etc

[/quote]

Yes, highly subjective.  Again, I'm not interested in objective testing.  I keep score via keepers and misses.  That's what my work quality is based upon only; not lab testing.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

AdamJ

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
I'm hoping things will escalate from bold type to CAPITAL BOLD TYPE, AND MAYBE FROM THERE TO REALLY BIG CAPITAL BOLD TYPE.

Then we'll know he's  >:(  >:( seriously annoyed.  ;)

AdamJ

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:09 AM »
Canon images have a "look" that Nikon can't quite match. Here are two pictures of my dog Scamp. Somehow, the Canon image is just more pleasing.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »
Canon images have a "look" that Nikon can't quite match. Here are two pictures of my dog Scamp. Somehow, the Canon image is just more pleasing.

D800, camera only a mother could love...?
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »

darrellrhodesmiller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »
After almost 6 months of internal debate (and renting the camera twice), i purchased a 5d MkIII last week. i'm no pro, its not my full time career, but i do make some income off my photography. The 5d MkIII isnt a perfect camera... i think its priced about 500.00 too high.. but i offset that 500.00 with credit card reward points. Nikon might have more mega-pixels. and higher dynamic range. All those specs sound amazing.. but in the end, i have a huge investment in canon lenses.. yes i could have sold them.. but that would take time.. lots of time. I also am very familiar with the canon interface and menu system.. dropping everything and moving to nikon is doable.. but is it worth the time? in my case i dont think so..

The nikon is probably a better  camera.. but we're talking the difference between a porche and a ferrari.. and i'm honestly just driving around town. Looking at 500px and flickr.. there are plenty of truly breathtaking images coming out of both cameras. i will be happy to admit this camera is far more than i need.. and far more capable than i am. It does all i need, i see a CLEAR improvement over my 7D in low light situations. Its a far less noisy camera around ISO 2000 and above.

The tools any artist uses is very personal.. and important.. but at some point you have to stop worrying about which tool is just a little bit better.. and start doing the actual art.

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 12:49:22 PM »
5dmk2 and d800 same exposure time, f-stop base iso
5dmk2 developed in camera raw and DPP and d800 in camera raw so that details/information can  be seen equally in the white  house wall and in the white  towel  in front of the garden house =high lights reproduction.
Then we look in the shadows, low levels , an area is selected in the low levels and auto contrast is laid, auto contrast are showing  levels , details, noise in the selected area , no personal influence , photoshop is calculating  the signal level from the pixels values. This is the  results of  2-3 extra stops DR  in low levels.  And how to use it- it is up to the photographer and  the skills to use photoshop
PS
I have lent the  raw files to a number of talented members at dpreview , they  have  all checked  and verified the results by them selves.

Great comparison of noise at 100% scale vs. 66.7%!
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »
5dmk2 and d800 same exposure time, f-stop base iso
5dmk2 developed in camera raw and DPP and d800 in camera raw so that details/information can  be seen equally in the white  house wall and in the white  towel  in front of the garden house =high lights reproduction.
Then we look in the shadows, low levels , an area is selected in the low levels and auto contrast is laid, auto contrast are showing  levels , details, noise in the selected area , no personal influence , photoshop is calculating  the signal level from the pixels values. This is the  results of  2-3 extra stops DR  in low levels.  And how to use it- it is up to the photographer and  the skills to use photoshop
PS
I have lent the  raw files to a number of talented members at dpreview , they  have  all checked  and verified the results by them selves.

Great comparison of noise at 100% scale vs. 66.7%!

Well, on this he's right. A fair comparison requires the same resolution.

lucuias

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »
What is the point of comparison here.Canon 5D mark III is design with wedding photographer in mind where a body at half of 1dx price yet able to shoot in decent fast movements and high ISO capability.
In terms of high ISO,focusing tracking,focus point spread area and shooting at high speed(1/8000).Canon 5Dmark III beat Nikon D600.
As an experience photographer,I never had an image under expose more than 2 stop.In fact,I do sometimes over expose by 1 stop if I wanted to extract the shadow details via post.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 06:06:50 AM »
nikon has the better sensors for pushing the shadows.
there is no fanboy blahblah that can change that.

canon is lucky that a camera is more then the sensor.

Is it luck?  Nikon has had 'the better sensors' for several years now...years during which Canon gained dSLR market share while Nikon lost dSLR market share.  Doesn't sound like luck to me, sounds like Canon knows better where to spend their R&D yen in terms of what consumers really want, or at least their advertising yen...   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »
I've got both the Canon 5D mk lll and the Nikon D600. Without the analysing between them, for me I bought the Nikon D600 to use while travelling, being ideal for lighter, smaller and reduced the lens weight.

My Canon lens 17-40 4L, 24-70 2.8L, 100-400 4/5.6L (also used to take the 70-200 2.8L IS, but stopped this lens a while ago due to the weight) to the Nikon lens setup of 16-35 F4 VR and 28-300 VR.

I've got a Virgin flight coming up with just 6KG handle luggage allowance and one bag only. I've been checked at the check-in and caught a couple of times, over the limit. Then having to quickly spread the weight between the hold suite cases, which I don't like letting my expensive Canon white lens going in the hold.

So for me its fit for purpose.  :D

Tip for travelling on airlines.  Take your camera out of your bag and wear it on the shoulder straps.  Pack it when you get on the plane (you can repack it after security if you like and then unpack it again if they check at the gate).  I fly a lot i.e. 80 flights a year mix of short and long haul and I'm often carrying a lot of gear in carryon although I pick airlines like BA who have a 23kg carryon limit (provided you can lift it yourself with no assistance).  I've never been asked to add the camera to the pack at check in.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:46 AM »
nikon has the better sensors for pushing the shadows.
there is no fanboy blahblah that can change that.

canon is lucky that a camera is more then the sensor.

Is it luck?  Nikon has had 'the better sensors' for several years now...years during which Canon gained dSLR market share while Nikon lost dSLR market share.  Doesn't sound like luck to me, sounds like Canon knows better where to spend their R&D yen in terms of what consumers really want, or at least their advertising yen...   ;)

I think that it has just taken time for the better sensors to get into camera models that actually get attention: D800 & D600.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
I think that it has just taken time for the better sensors to get into camera models that actually get attention: D800 & D600.

Three years ago, the D7000's APS-C sensor was way 'better' than it's competitor, the 7D (in DxOMark-land).  Which was more popular?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »