December 21, 2014, 06:05:55 AM

Author Topic: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware  (Read 24188 times)

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:13 AM »
I was not pertaining to sensor dimensions. I like it being full frame but I wish it had at least the same pixel density as the 1D4.

As such sports & wildlife photogs will need a longer focal length to get the same framing and fewer pixels to play with. If it was the same as the 1D4 then it wouldnt be that bad.

If they could maintain the IQ improvements then great.

GPS and WiFi would be great. I expect it to be integrated in the 1DX successor.

Sensor pixel density identical to the 1D4. As such the 1DX does not have as much reach as the 1D4.

Yup you're correct but IQ is different.  DR is different.  AF is different.  Low-light performance is different.  UWA smallest focal length is different.  I guess it just depends on what type of photos you are shooting.  For most cases 1D4 is enough but 1DX opens a new door to versatility.  That said, for my shooting purposes, 5D3 is enough though I'd prefer a 1DX given an opportunity to grab one.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:25:06 AM by dolina »
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:13 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »
I was not pertaining to sensor dimensions. I like it being full frame but I wish it had at least the same pixel density as the 1D4.

As such sports & wildlife photogs will need a longer focal length to get the same framing and fewer pixels to play with. If it was the same as the 1D4 then it wouldnt be that bad.

If they could maintain the IQ improvements then great.

GPS and WiFi would be great. I expect it to be integrated in the 1DX successor.

Sensor pixel density identical to the 1D4. As such the 1DX does not have as much reach as the 1D4.

Yup you're correct but IQ is different.  DR is different.  AF is different.  Low-light performance is different.  UWA smallest focal length is different.  I guess it just depends on what type of photos you are shooting.  For most cases 1D4 is enough but 1DX opens a new door to versatility.  That said, for my shooting purposes, 5D3 is enough though I'd prefer a 1DX given an opportunity to grab one.

As somebody with a dedicated hobby of bird photography as yours, I think 1D4 is right to be your choice.  Pixel density-wise, 7D has more pixel density than 1D4.  You might want to look at 7D2 whenever it comes out.  Who knows, it might have a better high ISO performance than the current 7D then it will be your best next camera but if its sensor performance is on the level of 650D then you should stick with APS-H.  I have a feeling though that 1D4 will be the last APS-H of Canon.

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 08:47:14 AM »
As somebody with a dedicated hobby of bird photography as yours, I think 1D4 is right to be your choice.  Pixel density-wise, 7D has more pixel density than 1D4.  You might want to look at 7D2 whenever it comes out.  Who knows, it might have a better high ISO performance than the current 7D then it will be your best next camera but if its sensor performance is on the level of 650D then you should stick with APS-H.  I have a feeling though that 1D4 will be the last APS-H of Canon.
That's a thought.  ;D

I could also wait for the 5D3 and 1DX successor. I'd get the 5D3 but do not want Canon fixing a perfectly working lens so the IS wouldnt make a weird noise.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
That's a thought.  ;D

I could also wait for the 5D3 and 1DX successor. I'd get the 5D3 but do not want Canon fixing a perfectly working lens so the IS wouldnt make a weird noise.

5D3 would be good as an all-purpose body but you'll lose that extra reach.  An ISO of 12800 I think is still usable though so you can add extra reach through extenders but it will set you back a lot of dollars I imagine.  Anyway, I've browsed through your bird shots and it's very good and educational.

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »
5D3 would be good as an all-purpose body but you'll lose that extra reach.  An ISO of 12800 I think is still usable though so you can add extra reach through extenders but it will set you back a lot of dollars I imagine.  Anyway, I've browsed through your bird shots and it's very good and educational.
The 5D3 actually has more reach than the 1DX. Both are full frame bodies but the 1DX has less pixels. I survived with the 5D2 so follows my being critical with the 1DX.

TCs are ok but you lose stops of light and AF becomes less quick and decisive.

Glad you appreciate the hardwork put into making them. They often get stolen by locals for their advocacies. They often point to budget problems but they have cash to pay their employees, suppliers, vendors and other people.  ;D

Often times they are just plain uncourteous. Upbringing I guess.

Which reminds me. I'll start posting images 800px and smaller.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:05:22 AM by dolina »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
The 5D3 actually has more reach than the 1DX. Both are full frame bodies but the 1DX has less pixels. I survived with the 5D2 so follows my being critical with the 1DX.

TCs are ok but you lose stops of light and AF becomes less quick and decisive.

Glad you appreciate the hardwork put into making them. They often get stolen by locals for their advocacies. They often point to budget problems but they have cash to pay their employees, suppliers, vendors and other people.  ;D

Often times they are just plain uncourteous. Upbringing I guess.

Which reminds me. I'll start posting images 800px and smaller.  ;D

Also you can add a big watermark or something.    500px is enough for sampling.  Just indicate that you have the raw file should they want to print bigger images.  Some people are really cheap.

I think some birders here are getting the 1DX not so much for resolution but for its very capable AF.  For me, I just want the 5D3 since I'm doing almost any kind of photography that comes to my mind.  :)  Hopefully I'll get it by mid next year.  I want to go to Palawan next year to have some nature photography.

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:50 AM »
They actually reproduce my work with the watermark at the corner. :( Will put a strip right dab center next time so others will know that the work was ripped off.

People think anything on the web is free (see Senator Sotto) and just grab whatever. They fail to see the time, effort and especially money that is put into making these images possible.

Palawan would be a great place to take up nature photography. I have yet to visit.

Also you can add a big watermark or something.    500px is enough for sampling.  Just indicate that you have the raw file should they want to print bigger images.  Some people are really cheap.

I think some birders here are getting the 1DX not so much for resolution but for its very capable AF.  For me, I just want the 5D3 since I'm doing almost any kind of photography that comes to my mind.  :)  Hopefully I'll get it by mid next year.  I want to go to Palawan next year to have some nature photography.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:50 AM »

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
The ability to set a button to jump RIGHT into flash settings.
I can't believe there isn't even the option in the custom functions. You have to jump through like 5 menus to get to the right flash options.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »
I would like:

1) Headphone jack
2) USB 3.0 or better.
3) A few more options in the My Menu area.

Can't really think of anything else right now.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 02:22:07 AM »
The ability to set a button to jump RIGHT into flash settings.
I can't believe there isn't even the option in the custom functions. You have to jump through like 5 menus to get to the right flash options.
Set it up as a My Menu item...two clicks

-pw

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:22 AM »
1. I would like the option to switch around the order of the main menu's, like have the AF-tab next to My Menu, and the possibility to have one more My Menu, or being able to add a few more items to the one there is.

2. I would like red Af-points.

3. The old 1d4 iso button/placement (although no biggie)
4. The same lowlight AF ability of the 5d2.
5. I find reaching the M.fn and dof-preview buttons kind of hard, they should be bigger or closer to the grip for my liking.
6. More options to customize buttons. (Why can't I set every button to whatever?)

7. Support for the EC-S focusing screen. Seeing the dof and focus is a great aid and truly missed from the 5d2.

All of this minus the red-af point wish, is nitpicking. I must say this camera, it's just f@@@ing EPIC!! I have used almost all Canon bodies since the 1ds2 (owned or used) and this is so near perfect it's ridiculous. Like no other Canon before I can catch moments that are completely out of the question for what can be done with AF, and it just does it.

Red AF Points...Hell Yes!
Black AF Points...Epic Fail

-pw

JimKarczewski

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2014, 05:40:25 AM »
I was told by Chuck Westfall (the REAL one) that the reason GPS or WiFi was not integrated into the 1Dx is due to the fact it's a 100% Magnesium body, where as the 6D has a plastic top, where they can put the necessary GPS Receivers or Wifi Antenna.  However, I think this is complete BS, they could had added it to the 1Dx and just used the GPS/Wireless port to add an optional antenna when you wanted to use those features.

Also, I suggested that there be some way to playback image annotations, maybe holding down the annotation/lock button for x seconds will start playback.  It's a pain in the a$$ to have record/lock with no quick way to change to playback.  On that note, also allow us to select another button to assign rating to other than voice annotation/lock button.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 11:22:26 AM »
I was told by Chuck Westfall (the REAL one) that the reason GPS or WiFi was not integrated into the 1Dx is due to the fact it's a 100% Magnesium body, where as the 6D has a plastic top, where they can put the necessary GPS Receivers or Wifi Antenna.  However, I think this is complete BS, they could had added it to the 1Dx and just used the GPS/Wireless port to add an optional antenna when you wanted to use those features.

I think it's BS, too.  When I hld my 1D X, my hands aren't touching bare magnesium alloy - I see no reason an antenna could not be positioned outside of the metal chassis and under the plastic/rubber coverings.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 11:22:26 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »

I think it's BS, too.  When I hld my 1D X, my hands aren't touching bare magnesium alloy - I see no reason an antenna could not be positioned outside of the metal chassis and under the plastic/rubber coverings.

Someone should make WiFi batteries for it....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 01:17:41 AM »
Someone should make WiFi batteries for it....

I have not yet ever needed more than the two batteries I have, but it has been very close on one or two occasions. The ability to recharge them using some form of magic like WiFi would be amazing!  8)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 01:17:41 AM »