November 26, 2014, 12:39:53 AM

Author Topic: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware  (Read 23376 times)

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
Instead of this for registering a home AF point:

"The process is pretty simple: to memorize an AF point, be sure the camera's not set for Zone AF mode or Automatic AF point selection. Move the active AF point(s) to wherever you'd like to memorize, and press and hold down the rear AF point select button, and simultaneously press the ISO button button (EOS-1D X) or top panel illuminator button (EOS 5D Mark III). "HP" (Home Position) appears briefly in the finder, and the point is now memorized. Repeat the procedure to memorize a different point. (Only one location at a time can be memorized.)"

Why not just navigate to the point you want to register and hit the set button on the back of the camera? The above way is just awkward and I can never remember which top button to use. I have both cameras which makes it even more confusing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
Still a bit concerned on AF being less than the 5D, did you find a work around, besides recompose?

and how much LOUDER is the 1D X?

thanks guys for replying here.
1D X, 7D, 70-200mm MK II, 24 L MK II, 35 L, 10-22, 40mm,  Samyang 8mm, 50 1.8 mk II, PW II's
PW III's , MultiMax's, TT5's 580 II's, SB-28's

paulrossjones

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »

Support for the EC-S focusing screen. Seeing the dof and focus is a great aid and truly missed from the 5d2.

i discovered that the 1dx takes all the old 1dsmk3 screens- all the EC focusing screens. i used the ec-s in a 1dx and it was soooo nice- i shoot at f1.2 a lot, so this made a massive difference.

- things i would like improved-

1/ magnify button moved back to where it was on the ads.
2/ the lighting up of the focus points made at least twice as bright, this projecting on the focus screen cannot be seen when shooting a lot of subject matter.
3/ clean hdmi out for video
4/ 60fps at 1080p (or 120!)

a more dreaming list-

A/fast wireless tethering
B/a way to shoot that you can have live focus through an external monitor and shoot stills without any delay (its too slow at the moment), better yet, allow one monitor to frame the shot, and allow a second monitor to have the image zoomed 100 percent (great if you can dedicate a focusing person on those real hard focus problems).
C/more focus points spread out wider around the frame. i did a quick look at a whole pile of advertising photos and the focus points where they are now do line up with 60% of the shots i saw. most were outside the focus points in the middle.

paul

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »

Support for the EC-S focusing screen. Seeing the dof and focus is a great aid and truly missed from the 5d2.

i discovered that the 1dx takes all the old 1dsmk3 screens- all the EC focusing screens. i used the ec-s in a 1dx and it was soooo nice- i shoot at f1.2 a lot, so this made a massive difference.

- things i would like improved-

1/ magnify button moved back to where it was on the ads.
2/ the lighting up of the focus points made at least twice as bright, this projecting on the focus screen cannot be seen when shooting a lot of subject matter.
3/ clean hdmi out for video
4/ 60fps at 1080p (or 120!)

a more dreaming list-

A/fast wireless tethering
B/a way to shoot that you can have live focus through an external monitor and shoot stills without any delay (its too slow at the moment), better yet, allow one monitor to frame the shot, and allow a second monitor to have the image zoomed 100 percent (great if you can dedicate a focusing person on those real hard focus problems).
C/more focus points spread out wider around the frame. i did a quick look at a whole pile of advertising photos and the focus points where they are now do line up with 60% of the shots i saw. most were outside the focus points in the middle.

paul

But then you were shooting in M mode, right? Since it's not firmware supported the metering is off. But if you say the metering works as normal, I'm absolutely get one.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
+1 on the question to Paul - how does the Ec-S affect metering, since that screen is not supported in firmware?  Thanks!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
more menu options on "my menu"
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »
Plus I would like when you assign to the dof preview button the function to change from servo to one shot and viceversa, that once you push the button the af mode switches instead of having to keep that button pressed.

Amen...+1 million on the dof
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »

curtisnull

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »

and how much LOUDER is the 1D X?

I have both cameras and the 5D3 is considerably more quiet in the silent mode than the 1Dx. It's kind of surprising to me that there is so much difference in the noise level of the silent mode.
1Dx••5D3••300/2.8L IS II••135/2L••100/2.8L IS Macro••24/1.4L II••70-200/2.8L IS II••24-70/2.8L II••17-40/4 L••600EX-RT••lots more Canon stuff.

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 02:34:39 AM »
The same lowlight AF ability of the 5d2.
Did you try the 1D X configuration fix from another topic?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 04:09:05 AM »
I am actually thinking of dropping the 1DX in favour of 2 x 5D3's because of the lack of silent shutter.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 04:56:19 AM »
I admit this is just nitpicking, but I would like the following changes:
1. move protect/voice button in place of the info button,
2. move erase button in place of the protect/voice button and
3. move info button instead of the erase button

Apart from that I would also benefit from autofocus for f8.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 05:18:22 AM »

The set it to 10 fps instead of 12? Yeah, I didn't really feel the difference though. But to be honest, the only time I have had trouble is in the studio setting. I didn't have any time, but I'm going back and will try switch off the af assist on my remote flashes and use 5 fps and more af scenarios to see if it gets any better.

If it was any other fixes you meant I would really appreciate a reminder!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »

The set it to 10 fps instead of 12? Yeah, I didn't really feel the difference though. But to be honest, the only time I have had trouble is in the studio setting. I didn't have any time, but I'm going back and will try switch off the af assist on my remote flashes and use 5 fps and more af scenarios to see if it gets any better.

If it was any other fixes you meant I would really appreciate a reminder!

Here it is:

Ok so for all those not wanting to read everything here is the conclusion:

Sat with Canon Australia Pro Support this afternoon - which they came to my work after My work hours, sat down for a coffee, gave me a few tips and fixed my problem - I really could not ask for more support from any company! And remember they are from a completely different state then I!!!

Anyways after being schooled on some af config case tweaks we took the cameras into an underground carpark probably a good -1 to -2ev at least.

They tested their camera no issue - passed it to me and it blew me way snap bang locked no issues. They grabbed mine and it went ass up - they couldn't believe it.

Went through all the settings and couldn't work out what it is. So we copied the working 1Dx's config on a memory card and loaded it on mine and it's like a brand new camera - it's like night vision tbh.

So yeah if you are having issues as per below - grab this config file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33440790/DXSave/WORRKSSS.CSD and load it.

Canon will get back to me as we are unsure if its something funky in the settings or setting screwed up something in servo logic. Either-way I will update this as soon as I am made aware.

Thank You Canon Australia for taking care of Me :)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 04:55:49 AM »
Id change the price so i could afford it  ::)

Patrick

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Patrick's Fotos
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »
Id change the price so i could afford it  ::)
+1!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »